Tuesday 6 September 2011

Chain Saws - chain saws


I bought this saw for my husband because I felt he needed a lighter weight saw since he uses one quite a bit on the farm and he isn't getting any younger. He immediately tried out the saw (he was used to a 21" cutting bar) and loeved it. To use his words"That saw cut through those trees like butter. He used it to clear fallen trees off our 375 acre farm and to do the "gin" work around our home. We had a very bad ice storm last winter and had many down trees to saw up to be moved. He loves the power and how easy it starts. He said to rate this 5 stars at least! Husqvarna 240E 16-Inch 38.2cc X-Torq 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chain Saw With Smart Start (CARB Compliant)

Mine starts easily, and cuts really well. On the other hand, getting to and tightening the chain is a hassle; it's a pretty poor design. So if you're using this model for more than just light/occasional work, it's going to be frustrating.

The first day I received this saw and used it, it cut very well and really went through thick trees with ease. However, (and I found this out when I brought the saw in for service) the chain oil pump was not working, so eventually the chain got overheated and became dull. I had to bring the saw in for service at a Husqvarna dealer and they replaced the non-functioning oil pump. I will be trying the saw again really soon.

i have used husky 36's thru 141's for 11 years. They are inexpensive, but serviceable saws that last about 2 or 3 years. My last one was nearing the end, so I bought the 240. They have a bogus chain tightening system that is more awkward than the old way using two nuts. The gas tank runs out in 25 minutes instead of the 40 minutes with the 141. It had so little power that I took it into the chain saw shop 15 miles distant to adjust the carburetor ( it is now almost impossible for a do-it-your-self-er to adjust which makes no sense to me).The shop charged $25 and it still ran like crap. I finally figured out a way to adjust it myself, but it still doesn't have the power of the 141. My recommendation is to avoid this one like the plague!

Here's my 1 hour experience with this saw, while doing some simple trimming of a crab-apple tree in my front yard



Right out of the box: Wouldn't idle at all. Even after a significant warm-up period it still died whenever I let off the trigger. This is with the correct oil/gas mix.



30 mins in: The trigger handle cracked completely through, right at the angle under where your palm would rest. At this stage I'm thinking I'll need to return the saw but still hoping that I can finish the job.



45 mins in: The pull cord seized, so I could no longer pull the cord more than an inch. Given that the saw would not idle, this effectively rendered it unusable.



Next day: Returned it and bought a similar spec'ed STIHL for the same price at my local hardware store. It not only ran with no issues, but actually cut a lot faster than the Husqvarna.

bought this item because I wanted a better product than a poulan. $280 and four gas tanks later it quit and there is now low compression. Dealer informed me that "running straight gas in it is not covered", as if I would pay good money for this item and then abuse it like that! That is how they get out of the warranty, now I know. In hindsight it may have been better to run the saw with more oil than prescribed- I would rather be changing fouled spark plugs then suffering a total loss. - Chain Saws'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information