Wednesday 14 September 2011

Energy Efficient - motion sensor, led light


I bought two of these (a better deal, and at this writing the same two sellers offer the two-fer: 10 LED Wireless Motion Sensor Light 2 Pack Easy to Install). While not precisely as described, they get the job done (or at least have so far).



Pluses: bright light from the 10 LEDs, low drain on batteries, no wiring needed.



Minuses: in my experience, the sensor range is much less than the description states (I figure three to four feet); seem to be cheaply made (in China, if that matters to you); the three-position switch (off/constant-on/motion-sense) seems cheap and is positioned such that it's hard to move, which may or may not be an issue for you (if you're leaving it permanently set to sense motion, it won't matter); in one of my two units, the three-position switch was wired backward relative to the labeling, an indication of poor quality control; as other reviewers have noted, (1) there is no "daylight off" function (except to move the three-position switch to off, which is a nuisance), and (2) there doesn't seem to be any heat sensing.



All in all, not a purchase I'm sorry I made. For my use, they're adequate. For some, the negatives may outweigh the good price. SE Wireless Motion Sensor Light - 10 Super-Bright LED

I was skeptical after getting a couple of other "motion sensor pucks" that didnt trip unless you were right under them (dragon light). This one is up in our hallway and lights up the area adequately for walking through and finding things in the near closet. Planning on getting two more for the other dark recesses in our hallway.

Pros: kids will trip the light even though it's on the ceiling - even the dogs will trip it. Provides enough light to see, even into the nearby closet.

Cons: Blue color. They've got "natural" colored led's, why they don't install them into these products remains a mystery.

Wireless Motion Sensor Light - 10 Super-Bright LED - Install Anywhere in 30 Seconds!



This mini motion sensor light is really great! I bought it for a pet area that needs a light at times since it gets dark out so early these days, & this does the job perfectly!



It's small enough to place/hang anywhere, but the light is quite bright - don't be fooled by its small size.



I should mention that the first one I received didn't come on automatically for me, so had to be returned, but the replacement works perfectly.

I was a bit skeptical of this because of the price and the previous review, but I like it a lot. I've got it at the curve of my dark stairway so that it turns on at the first or second step either way. I don't really care about the "daylight off" function that apparently doesn't exist because I'm not usually home much during the day, so it really doesn't matter. The brightness can be debated, but it lights up my entire stairway with no trouble...maybe outside it could be different, but inside, it gets most of the area I intended it for.

These are exactly what we were looking for. Our basement stairs are not well-lighted. We could hire someone to put in an electric light, because we aren't handy that way. Or we could put in battery operated lights, but would have to turn them off and on as needed. But motion sensor lights come on only when needed and turn off when they aren't needed. They are just perfect and give plenty of light to this dark area. The video shows how they work without any basement lights on.



UPDATE: Based on the comments and in retrospect, I have to say that these lights don't sense motion to the sides very well. If you are coming at them straight on, they will turn on when you are about six feet away, but if you are to one side, you have to be right next to them before they turn on. That should be a consideration in placement.

We have a 4'X6' dark area in our basement. This was our 3rd attempt to illuminate it. First 2 were from "As Seen n TV" section at Walgreens. The "remote controlled" flat fixture ran through a set a batteries every couple of weeks and worked erratically. Number 2 was a lightbulb-shaped Krypton bulb which was too heavy to stick to its warm furnace flue mounting and finally broke from repeatedly falling to the floor. This 10-LED light is perfect. Both bright and light enough. My only complaint is that it doesn't come with sticky-back tape -- only a nail hole - and there is no place in this spot to drive a nail. The light is so compact that there is very little space to apply our own sticky tape without interfering with the battery cover, but we had a super-strength 3M Velcro tape that worked perfectly.

...why does every internet site that describes this light indicate that it has a "daylight off function". As the other reviewer, Mathew, wrote before me, that function does not really exist. So if the light is placed in a hallway it's going to go on and off, over and over, all day, day after day, 24/7. I suppose that I could live with that if I hadn't been told in writing that it wouldn't happen because of the built-in daylight off function! Now I'm feeling a little stupid, but will keep the lights anyway... maybe they expected me to keep them anyway! I am only writing in case someone has a solution that I haven't found. g

This light is my second try to add light to a dark pantry and closet. This one is vastly better than the first for three big reasons. The first light I tried was only functional in the dark and the closets have some ambient light, just not enough. Secondly, the first light didn't stay on long enough to be useful and the third thing I hated about it was the mounting mechanism.



This light is brighter, stays on a decent length of time and can be mounted with either the included velcro pad that has sticky backs for attachment to the wall and the back of the light, or it can be hung on a nail or hook. This means it's easy to take down to replace the batteries when needed. So far, it's done just what I wanted and I've even ordered three more for other locations.



The light is about 3" square and relatively flat so it goes in lots of places like my linen closet where it won't interfere with items stored in there.



If you need to brighten up a dark closet or other small space, I highly recommend this unit over others. I bought three different types and find this is the sleekest so fits best in a small area without taking up much space and it is the most functional for that application. - Night-lights - Wireless Light - Motion Sensor - Led Light'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information