Sunday 4 September 2011

External Hard Drive For Mac - wd, 1tb


I bought this hard drive about 7 months ago prior to my deployment to Afghanistan. The weight and size were great. Seemed perfect. I get to afghanistan, and may have only plugged it into my Sony VAIO ten times, when suddenly it would not be recognized. Like it didn't exist. I kept unplugging it and plugging it back in. I then tried it on a bunch of other laptops. Nothing. So, I thought, maybe it's just in a "mood". I turned off my computer, went to sleep, and tried it the next day. Still nothing. Now, it has been seven months, and I still occasionally plug it in to see if it works, but to no avail. Luckily, everything I had on the WD hard drive was backed up on another hard drive, so I didn't lose anything. I would just return it, but seeing that I'm not in the United States and where I'm at, the mail system doesn't work, I now use it as a paper weight, which it would recieve 5 stars if that was what it was meant to be used for.



I looked it up online and found that there are thousands of other people with the same issue. WD keeps giving the lame excuse of "some computers don't supply enough power". That's bull... Then why doesn't it work on ANY computer? And why make something that doesn't work all the time? And, using simple logic, my buddy who has the same hard drive plugged his into his computer, and it worked. I plugged mine into his computer, and it didn't work. He then plugged his into my computer, and it worked. I plugged mine into my computer, and it didn't work. Hmmm... Sounds like it's more than a power issue. I'm meeting my wife on R&R soon and will give it to her. Hopefully, she can return it, but she can't find the receipt, so I'm sure we're stuck with it.



I can't tell you to buy or not buy it. Most people have great luck with it. But that's what it is...luck. So, you may buy this, and it will probably work. Or, there's a chance it won't. So, why not buy a hard drive that works ALL THE TIME? No risk, no chances. I think I'm going to order a Toshiba and have my wife give it to me on R&R. It seems that their hard drives don't suddenly decide to not work. Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Ultra Portable External Hard Drive (Silver)

This is an easily portable hard drive with generous 1 TB capacity. It is compact, lightweight and runs nearly silently.



It was instantly recognized when connected to a desktop machine running Windows 7 Professional (32-bit), to a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), and to a netbook running Windows XP Home.



None of these machines is USB 3 equipped; since all of my data transfers were via USB 2, I can't comment on the USB 3.0 performance. USB 2 transfers to/from the desktop internal hard drive took about 3 minutes for every 1.5 GB of data.



Since this is a recent purchase, it's not possible to address the reliability/service life of this drive.



This drive is powered via the USB cable, eliminating one power cord (and wall wart!) from the rear of my desk (and increasing its portability)



Some reviewers have commented on issues with the included backup software. My experience with the offerings from both WD and other vendors is that significant shortcomings in features and functionality are often part of these applications.



I simply deleted this software without installing it, and continued to use this drive with a separate back-up application (I've been using Centered System's "Second Copy" with great success for both automated and manual back-up tasks for 5 years).



One minor gripe about this device: the included data cable is *very* short (about a foot long), limiting drive placement options (I don't know if this is related to the USB 3 capability or not).



Note: I purchased the blue version (not currently offered on Amazon). I included pictures on the product page and the only the color is different; specifications, form factor and performance are identical to the black model.

This WD 1TB drive is a good value, but the backup software [SMARTWARE] should be called DUMBWARE. The software assumes that you are expected to be an idiot and they are all knowing.

The previous software, WD Anyhere Backup, is a much better product. What it doesnt do that Anywhere did:

1. Backup to drives other than WD Smartdrive;

2. Let you have duplicate file names in different folders;

3. Doesnt have the feature to purge files from the backup that are no longer on the source drive.

4. Since it ignores folders you can only backup by file type. This means that it backs up videos, for example, that you dont need or want to backup. These files may be multiple GB and eat time and space needlessly.

5. The picture catagory doesnt know that a NEF file, Nikon's raw format, is a picture.

6. There is no way to add file types to a catagory.

7. Can not be paused til idle or til resumed. This means that it kills high useage programs like Photoshop CS5. The only choice is to turn the drive off while you are using photoshop.



NTS, I uninstalled this product and use the older SMARTER Anywhere Backup. The older software was the driving item that led me to choose WD, which was a bad move. Maybe 3 stars is to kind. - Portable Hard Drive - Wd - Western Digital - 1tb'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information