Saturday 24 September 2011

Hand Held Vacuum - dustbuster, hand held vacuum


I purchased this over the Shark SV736N 15.6-Volt sibling thinking that for the relatively modest price increase that the performance would be better. I was wrong.



First the pros:

*) Taking it apart and putting it back together is a breeze - very simple to figure out and no easy-to-break parts.

*) The motorized brush can stand up to a real use

*) The mounting unit is compact, easy to mount/unmounts with, and charges the unit.



Now the cons:

*) Battery life is only OK - you'll find it lasts a pretty long time per charge without the motorized brush and if you're only doing spot cleanup. But with the motorized brush or really big jobs, it can die pretty quickly. Be sure to read the manual, they really emphasize not recharging until you have fully discharged the battery or you'll shorten it's life.

*) The suction is somewhat sad. Kitty litter is about the extent of what you can pick up relying only on the suction.

*) If your job includes any powders (spilled flour for example), you'll clog the paper filter and your suction will go from somewhat sad to nonexistent. Here's a fun fact: to clean the filter, you need another low suction vacuum as powders cling to the paper filter and it's not rinseable. Replacements are about $10 a pop and include both the paper filter and the plastic insert.

*) The brush attachment is useless. It basically acts like a little broom, pushing stuff around, never getting sucked into the vacuum.

*) The motorized brush is excessively difficult to clean, so if you have pets and it fills with hair, you'll be spending a lot of time cleaning it as none of the hair seems to make it into the chamber.



As handhelds go, I find 6 weeks into it that I barely use the motorized brush for anything other than light touch-ups on some rugs, never use the brush, and only make use of the nozzle for general dirt and small chunks. Anything else and I'm back to pulling out the real vacuum. Just not sure it was worth the $60. Shark SV780 VX33 18.0 Volt Cordless Hand Vac

I bought this handheld for myself without reading any reviews... Needless to say I was very happy with my purchase! The vacuum really holds its battery charge and the attachments work great for everything. The attachment with the spinning brush is great for stairs, (I have two flights in my house) and I can vacuum two flights and pretty much everything else without it ever losing power. The dirt compartment is a decent size.. and it is bagless. I was debating buying a dyson, but I am very happy with the price and the performance of this machine. A must buy for someone in the market for a handheld vacuum!

I've purchased 7 dust busters over the past 6 years, each one giving out before the years end and never started out working great to begin with. This one is different-because it's not a dust buster - it's a cordless hand held vacuum that has a magnetic vacuum brush easily detachable. It also comes with 2 other attachments- one with a brush head, that I use for vacuuming PET HAIR on my pants/coats and works awesome, and another for deep crevice, which I use when vacuuming the hard to reach places IN THE CAR. I keep the charging station next to the kitchen table where I use it the most. The upright station is great because there's no mounting required (you can mount it) -it can just stand there and not look out of place, unlike other mounting charging stations. I use it to clean up food around the table, I use it to vacuum pet hair and human hair on COUCH, for incidental messes on the CARPET- spilled plant, popcorn mess after movie afternoon, great on the STAIRS, the area RUGS, the car. It does a great job everywhere, because it has the same suction power as a vacuum instead of crumby dust buster. I clean the filter once a week and man, does it pick up a lot of dirt, and grime and incidentally a lot of my own hair (I shed a lot myself!). I've had it only a couple of months, but I've never been happier w/ a hand held cordless vacuum before. Highly recommend!

I have 1 dog and 2 cats and I am amazed at how much pet hair this vacuum picks up in the car and on our carpeted stairs. I love the smaller attachment for the edges of the wood floors and under and around the couches. The larger attachment with the brush works wonders on fabric and carpet to remove pet hair and dirt. The only thing I would improve is the battery life. It's not horrible but I usually have to charge it once in order to finish all areas in my home. It does recharge quickly though. Overall, for the price it performs above what I expected!

We have a dog and stairs in our house and this thing is great. Works awesome on the stairs and the spinning brush attachment gets dog hair out of our couches. We are getting one more my dad for Christmas we like it so much. Well recommended but it is NOT a vacuum to use as a primary. Get a normal vacuum and use this for small spills and stairs.

>>>>>>>>> First - WHY did we buy this?



>> The brush attatchment. We have a cat.



>> When you buy a dustbuster, pay attention to the amps/volts for suction. Higher the better. 18 volts is the best we could find at the time - 17 months ago.



>>>>>>>>> Second - WHY did we keep this?



>> The brushes on this thing pick up ALL the cat hair - a dustbuster with brushes is a must for a cat owner and this dustbuster delivers.



>> The brush is probably the BEST thing about this unit and why we made the purchased. I have owned mine for over a year now. I use the Brush on this thing all the time (90%) and it works very well. It picks up everything, so far, on carpets and the kitchen floor. We have a kitchen rug that is dark blue and our cat is gray. The rug is her favorite place to sit so the rug eventually looks grayish blue -ha. The brush tool cleans ALL of this off the rug. No visible cat hair, crumbs or lint. The brushes spin very fast pulling in cat hair, cat food, a few small screws, my long hair and everything else up to this point.



>> Our unit still holds a very decent charge after about 17 months. We keep our unit on the charger - fully charged - when not in use. With the brush attachment, we can still use it for 2 minutes straight without losing any suction-without the brushes longer.



>> It is very easy to empty. IF you forget to empty it for awhile and it does clog the filter, I use an old toothbrush or a sweeper to clean off the filter real well. We empty ours about every 2 weeks, which varies depending on how much you use it. We use ours about 5 times a week.



>> The brush holds up very well and we clean the brush out about once a month - 5 min job. The brush assembly comes apart real easy with a small phillips head. Brushes are the same as any normal vacuum.



>> The filters are 3 filters for 12 USD. You only have to change the filter once 3-4 months.



>> Powder - We clean the kitchen all of the time and bake quite a bit, but we have not seen ours clog. We have had minor spills that cleaned up just fine.



There are no cons that I can think of at the moment. If there is one, I will update.



Feel free to leave comments or ask questions. I will try to answer as soon as I can. - Dustbuster - Hand Vac - Handheld Vacuum - Hand Held Vacuum'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information