Wednesday 7 September 2011

Hand Wraps Boxing


Alot of people who have written reviews, in my opinion are not realizing that these gloves are not being sold as a replacement for boxing/bag gloves.



These gloves are meant to be used a quick and easy alternative for HAND WRAPS, as in that tape/ace bandage looking thing that you see boxer's on TV wrapping their hands and wrists with before putting them inside of their boxing gloves.



They ARE overly tight and overly snug but that is to prevent injury to the small bones in your hand and also from spraining your wrist.



Two problems, the gel is to large to fit in some boxing gloves. And the stitching is somewhat weak , and since your buying this online ... I recommend going to your local sports goods store and try on the sizes and see what is good for you, that is what I did. Also over time the gloves break in like a baseball glove and become more comfortable and less overly tight.



Remember NOT A BAG GLOVE, NOT BOXING GLOVES Everlast EverGel Hand Wraps (Yellow, Small)

I got these wraps as part of an Everlast set that also included a pair of Everlast boxing gloves. I've only had them for two months and use them primarily under my gloves and on my Century Wavemaster boxing bag. They provide nice wrist support and are easy to get off and on. I see them holding up well in the future.



Since there is no mention of sizing on the package, I did an internet search for how to measure your hands to buy these gloves, and this is what I found:



To determine correct size, measure the distance across the lowest knuckles (the knuckles you punch with) of the 4 upper fingers (all the fingers except the thumb). Measure by laying knuckles flat on a ruler. How to measure your hand:



Size Measurement

Small 3" - 3 1/4"

Medium 3 1/4" - 3 1/2"

Large 3 1/2" - 3 3/4"

X-Large 3 7/8" +



Hopefully that helps you pick out the right size!

I was so excited to receive this item. I paid for 2 day shipping. I got it and the first time I tried to put them on the mesh on the top of the glove tore at the seam. My hands are large, but not huge and these are the XL size. They don't have a larger size. The gel was nice when I was hitting the bag with them so if your hands are smaller and you won't have to work hard to put them on, it might be a nice purchase.

THESE ARE NOT GLOVES FOR HITTING A HEAVY BAG!!!!! I have read reviews that say that these aren't strong or well made for bag gloves...That's because these ARE NOT bag gloves, they are gel hand wraps. You use these for extra protection for your knuckles and wrists. You put these on and then you put your BAG GLOVES ON OVER THEM....sorry for repeating myself but I just want to clear. anyway great product if you use them correctly. You may need to buy your heavy bag gloves one size larger than your actual size so these fit under them. My wrists and knuckles feel great after a hard workout on the heavy bag much more support than classic hand wraps.

The gel is very nice. Unfortunately these are not made normal and seem to be narrow for their size. Also, the stitching is not the best. The first time I put mine on, the stitching holding the netting on the back side of the glove, gave loose and I had to re-stitch about 1 inch of it. Not a big deal to me but they should make them strong enough that you dont have to do that. Other than that, the design is pretty cool. These are just not very well built. They are made in china so what do we expect. Should have gone for some more expensive gloves.

I read reviews of a few different gloves and went to the store to try them on and get the best fitting ones. I didn't plan on buying this particular pair, but I purchased these because they were the only brand in stock which fit me. So far, they have worked well, but the stitching doesn't look very well done. There are vents in the palm which keeps the moisture down some. They are comfortable and provide good, sufficient cushioning for light bag work (i.e. a cardio-kickboxing class.) For serious heavy bag work, as other reviews have stated, these are only meant to substitute for hand wraps.

On sizing, I am a woman with small hands, and a men's medium fits me great. My husband, who has what are normally considered medium hands, says these are too small for him. Even if you buy them on-line for a better price, I definitely suggest trying them on in the store.

Overall, I am relatively satisfied. Depending on how long they last, I may or may not get a different brand next time.

My other experience is with normal cloth handwraps, such as the Everlast 4455-3 3-Pk. Hand Wraps, so I'm comparing the Gel Wraps to the cloth ones.



A different reviewer said that these are still hand wraps, not boxing gloves and I agree with them. I tried using these for the heavy bag, and my knuckles would bruise, since these wraps don't have enough padding.



So these are definitely not a replacement for gloves - they are meant to go inside regular boxing gloves.



The main reason I bought the gel wraps is because I would bruise up my hands on the speedbag without wraps, and it takes quite while to put on the cloth ones, so I wanted something more convenient that would protect my hands while using the speedbag.



These certainly do the trick and I'm happy with the purchase for that reason. However, here is some additional information that other people might find useful:



Pros:

- super easy and fast to put on and take off

- they fit fine into my boxing gloves

- I have large hands, and size Large is snug

- I do like the gel padding, but I can't say that I have noticed any differences between gel and cloth other than as a space saver.



In between:

- Unlike cloth wraps, which you layer onto your hands, these fit so snug that they can pull your hand out of the proper position, so you have to constantly keep your hands in mind. But while boxing you should keep your wrists and hands in mind anyway right?

- These wraps don't absorb nearly as much sweat as the cloth ones, so your hands are pretty gross after a good workout. It's not that big a deal for me, but may be for others.



Cons:

- The finger openings are too tight for me, especially on the thumbs. If this persists, I will probably cut them open a little bit to make room.

- After prolonged use (30 - 45 minutes) certain other parts on the gloves leave red lines on my hands and wrists.



Conclusion:

I like them, especially for the price and I'm happy with my purchase.



I just hope that the wraps will morph to fit my hands better. If they don't, I'll have to make some adjustments on my own, and there is no guarantee that the wraps will last.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information