Monday 19 September 2011

Kids Digital Camera - kids digital camera, toddler camera


The first camera we bought was the fisher price kid tough camera.. and it was the biggest waste of 50 bucks. The thing would turn on and right back off again. Our son was really upset, he's three. So we found this camera as a replacement and it works great! It has really cute little games on it easy enough for a 3 year old and it takes pretty good pictures for being a toy. Not those over grainy things that the fisher price one took. I would recommend this to a friend or buy it as a gift if the need came up for something like this again! :) Vtech Kidizoom Camera

I purchased this camera for my youngest who is not quite 3 as a Christmas present. My older daughter has the Fisher Price Kidtough camera and we were not very satisfied with it so we wanted to see how this one compared.



Pros:



Durable - it has been dropped a few times already and sustained no damage.



User Friendly - good size for a preschooler, not awkward like the FP camera is in small hands. The buttons, overall shape and size, interface, and layout are all done nicely.



Doesn't drain the batteries - The FP one is AWFUL about that. Batteries were lucky to last a day in the FP one so we invested in rechargeables which can be a pain. We anticipated the same issue with this one but were pleasantly surprised! Nearly two weeks later we have not had to replace the factory batteries at all. The FP one has since been ignored and this is the only one either of daughters will play with now.



Features - They games are simple and easy to use. A bit over the 2 year old's head, but the 4 year old enjoys them. We have not dabbled much with the photo editing, but it seems fun. Probably something an older child would enjoy more.



Neutral:



Resolution - I didn't know how to rate this. The FP one is terrible, 99% I can't make out. This one is a lot better but still has much room for imnprovement. Mine don't notice this, but I think 6 or 7 year old would definitely want something better.



LCD screen - is not so small that it's ill-functioning but could stand to be a bit bigger.



~I usually go by the rule of thumb, you get what you pay for but this has definitely not been the case between the VTech Kidizoom and the Fisher-Price Kidtough. I was able to find this camera for $20 just before Christmas, and this one the best deal I have seen is $40. I only paid $20, but definitely think it's worth the $40 price tag. We will be buying a second one soon as the two kids fight over this one.

My Mom was stumping her brain on what to get my son (2.5) for Christmas. I recommended a digital camera, since he loves Mommy's camera, and always wants to take pictures. So, we did a little research and liked the reviews on this one. She bought it. Let me say that my son has LOVED this camera so much, that in 2 days he took 385 pictures! The batteries have finally worn down and we're definitely going to invest in the rechargable ones as I can tell we'll be needing them. As for quality, I didn't expect much more than what we got. He's not yet 3, what could he REALLY take a good picture of? It's fun for him though to take pictures, and he loves "his camera". It is teaching him how to create memories and capturing the fun of life. He's obviously like his Mommy, we are trigger happy!!! Totally would buy this camera again and recommend it for any child within the age group. A child much older than 7 might be disappointed in the pictures. But for mine, it's perfect!!!

I purchased this camera from Walmart for $[...]. I have not used the Fisher Price Kid Camera but decided against it after reading some of the reviews. This review is written about an hour after unboxing the camera and playing with it myself. I am breaking down the components of my review in sections below:

1. Build: feels very durable and solid. Comes with an attachable wrist strap.

2. Functionality: the camera is very well designed. After using the power switch to turn the camera on you are presented with 4 modes to choose from: Camera, Games, Image software and control settings. In the camera mode there is a flash option, a zoom in/out option, review picture and delete option. Using these basic functions a child can easily grasp the basics of photography while at the same time not worrying the parent about break and damage. Its 2 thumbs-up from me on these features.

3. Image quality: not bad for a $[...] camera (I usually shoot a digital SLR and am very passionate about image quality). The image is very clearly seen and with a flash, the definition is even better. The package insert claims an auto ISO and I do believe this works. The camera claims to store about 500 photos on a 64MB internal memory, and for a kid that should be plenty.

4. Computer connectivity: the camera comes with a connecting cord, and I had no difficulty connecting it to my Macbook and importing images to iPhoto.

5. Educational value: I think this is where this camera triumphs. Playing with the controls will allow my 5 year old to master the basics of photography while at the same time making it really fun. Small points like how the image quality changes with camera shake are immediately demonstrable, and allows the child to appreciate the idea of steady hands. Learning how to and when to use the flash is a plus.

6. Other features: there are 2 games included. Have not explored them much but the graphics seem clear.



Overall I am highly impressed with this camera. I had expected the picture quality to be grainy and messy, but its surprisingly acceptable. The learning and education potential of this camera coupled with the excitement I expect my little one to have on using a 'real camera' makes this an unbeatable purchase for the price.

This camera is inexpensive, durable, has a nice body design, and has a decent interface and button layout. Those are the good things I can say about it. As for the rest, the display is too small and dim to be useful in almost all situations, and the photos are really terrible quality, not even good enough to make prints of any size from. Mostly, they are blurry and grainy. It's hard to imagine designing and releasing a product that performs so poorly. I do realize it's for young children, but a 5 year old should be able to get a few good shots with a camera made for kids. Our son took 100 photos, 5 were somewhat FAIR in quality, 95 POOR. Our son wanted to print the photos, so we uploaded the best ones to the local Walgreens, and they called asking if we really wanted them printed, no joke. He does enjoy taking pictures with it, and a few prints will work for show-and-tell. I can't even take a decent photo with it, grainy, dark, and muddy colors. Indoor photos are especially bad. You must hold the camera very still, and the subject cannot move at all. This is not easily done in most cases.

To improve this product maybe Vtech could add a 1+ Mp ccd (it's only a .3 mega-pixel now!!), stronger flash, and a brighter and larger display. Enough to make it get a passing grade, but still be inexpensive. If that adds $10-15. to the cost, it would be worth it. - Kids Digital Camera - Kids Camera - Preschool - Toddler Camera'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information