Tuesday 13 September 2011

Kindle 2 Leather Cover - kindle accessory, leather kindle cover


I was really hoping this cover was going to be "it" for me. I currently have the Patagonia cover (which I love) but wanted something a bit "nicer." I put my Kindle in this cover for 2 weeks and although it did not "crack" my Kindle, it certainly left deep scratches and knicks along the side where the hinges clipped into the Kindle. No one will see but me, but STILL! I was afraid over time it would damage it more. What drew me to this, was the elastic on the cover, which I did like. By the way, the Patagonia cover is the way to go when travelling. It is well padded, water resistant and fit into a carry-on nicely. I just ordered the M-Edge platform for my "nicer" cover...hopefully this one will be the one I am looking for. I would definitely NOT buy any cover with the hinges ever again. If you want to protect your Kindle, get a cover that holds it in with elastic edges. Kindle Leather Cover, Black (Fits 6" Display, 2nd Generation Kindle)

Just got the black one. I have an M-Edge Platform cover in 'sapphire'; wanted something a little more grownup in appearance for the commute, since I don't really use my booklight in transit.



For my purpose, this is the perfect cover. The overall styling with the pebbled leather gives it a 40's vintage appearance -- grown up and serious, but cool -- not corporate. The cover is pretty rigid. The little channel that holds the strap (which is like a bungee), works well to keep the strap neatly in place. This cover is exactly as I had imagined it would be: except that it's a little more padded, which makes it even better; and it's *very* lightweight. I just threw it onto the not-very-accurate kitchen scale. It weighs about 6-3/8 oz. (180g) -- even lighter than I'd expected; but it's still very slim despite having more padding than I'd expected. It is only very slightly larger in dimensions than the Kindle, and fits the middle pocket of my small messenger bag perfectly.



The lining is heathered charcoal, and is more synthetic flannel-like than suede-like. What's especially good about the color, is that it seems unlikely to show hand-grime over time. I like how it looks with the device, because it's closer in color to the words than it is to the page background.



As another reviewer noted, it would be difficult to mistake the back for the front. I agree with that statement. This cover does have the same hinge system as the original Amazon cover, and comes with an explicit warning not to lift the back cover. But this design also provides the means of preventing the famous 'evil accident', if one is conscientious about using the strap. The strap holds the cover closed firmly enough that if one does lift the back rather than the front, it doesn't really 'lift' independently; and if desired one can also read with the strap over the 'free' edge of the Kindle. It doesn't interfere with any buttons, and the tab situates perfectly as a place to rest one's thumb, if one happens to hold the device in one's right hand.



The *front* cover folds back neatly -- almost like reading without a cover, except that the device won't slide around.



The cover does have a strong chemical smell right now, as I expected it probably would coming right out of the box. I expect that to dissipate over time -- it's still quite new. I plan to leave it open to air out for a while and keep my nose *away*. I'm not worried about this.



Oh. And -- the packaging it came in is quite nice. I'd call it 'giftable', even. Harmonious with the original Kindle packaging.

The smell, the feel, the color, the strap I expected.

But this cover caused my Kindle to crack where the brackets attach to the kindle.

I've owned this cover for almost four months now and Amazon is replacing my Kindle because of this damage.

WARNING: this item will crash your Kindle. The metal hooks which slide into the side cause the Kindle to crash and reboot. When you leave the Kindle down then go to wake it up, instead of waking it reboots from scratch. As soon as you take your Kindle out of this cover, it behaves normally. I am returning the cover to Amazon: it's a real shame because I loved the cleanness of the attachment (no little straps over the corners of the Kindle) - but what an incredible design flaw. So the question is: why is it still on sale?! There are loads of 1 star reviews here and independent forums elsewhere full of people wondering what's wrong with their Kindles. Get it off the market until the metal hooks are replaced with ones which don't conduct electricity.

The cover is nice. When I made he purchase I was already worried about the hooks(hinges), i decided those "accidents were user caused." and ordered anyway. to my shock i noticed small cracks or indentations around the slots base from simply putting the cover on! I will be keeping an eye on them and see if they grow as it could simply be scratched paint(caused by the hinges) and an illusion. - Cover - Kindle 2 Case - Leather Kindle Cover - Kindle Accessory'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information