Monday 26 September 2011

Label Makers - cd labels, dvd labels


The software for this product is not user friendly. I spent some time "calibrating" my printer and the result was perfect...on regular printer paper. However, when you printed on their label paper, the result was way off from the template. I, finally, gave up trying to coordinate my printer with their paper and threw the whole thing out. Memorex Label Maker Starter Kit

I bought the Memorex CD/DVD Label Maker Starter Kit about one and a half year ago. Since then I have created several hundred beautiful, personal and professional looking DVD's and CD's. The kit comes with software, 20 disc labels, and some jewel case labels, and the Memorex's 3-in-1 label applicator. Since I have been printing hundreds of disc labels I had to buy more of these. However, they are available at any Office Max or Office Depot.



The Memorex exPressit software application is easy to use. It is just a two step wizard style dialog box, and on the last page you design, print and calibrate. Using the self explanatory controls on the last page I easily succeeded in creating some pretty nifty labels using my best photographs. Some people have apparently had problems with the calibration, but I was lucky and I got perfect labels on my first try.



When I print it comes off correctly and the slightly thicker label paper has never jammed my printer (a C6180 all-in-one). You can print one or two labels at a time. The labels come off easily and if you use the label applicator you are almost guaranteed to line up the label correctly on the DVD/CD. However, 90% of the time I do not use the label applicator, I just do it by hand, which is quicker. The label ends up in the middle of DVD/CD anyway. The greatest risk for problems is when you take the label off the paper. The label may curl up and get stuck on your fingers. Since I can only speak for myself, and not for those who had problems calibrating, I highly recommend this product for label printing.

The included software is terrible and very difficult to use. I have a great printer and it still was able to mess every sheet up. I could not find any Word-compatible templates for these sheets, so we had to use the included software. Waste of $12.

I purchased this kit because I wanted to put a label on a DVD I made. There was nothing in the accompanying online blurb which indicated that it would work only with Windows. So I, a confirmed Mac man, found that the mounting disk would open, but I could not make it work properly. The stock on which the disc blanks and spines were imprinted seemed very heavy, but the adhesive-backed portion worked OK using the round plastic mounting device in the kit. PhotoShop made me a form that matched the printed position of the labels and I filled it in with my own design. None of the designs provided on the disk of the kit met my needs, and in any event I am not sure that I could have transferred them to PhotoShop.

I really don't understand what's up with all the negative reviews. This product did exactly what I wanted it to do and for a very cheap price (I paid $5.53 total)



If you plan to make game or movie backups these work just fine.

Here's the process I would go through



1. install software

2. load software. it brings up a 3 step wizard that guides you through the process where you pick what type of label you're making (has a preview picture on the side so you know exactly what you're picking), then you choose a background (I used my own image files for this and they came out great), then click finish

3. the program will now open up with the background youve chosen on top of a template of the type of label youre making. You can easily move it around, enlarge it etc to get it just how you want. I was only making dvd disk labels and with those I recommend making your background a little bigger than the actual dvd disk so that if it doesnt print perfectly on center it wont have any white areas.

4. feed the label paper into printer

5. print

6. peel label

7. put label on disk or case cover or spine or whatever it is you were making a label for



I didnt even need to calibrate my printer and it came out just fine.



If anyone's wondering I'm using a laser printer and am using windows 7

After hours of screwing around there is now way to print these labels on center. Finally I had to cut 1/2 inch off the top of the label page to get it somewhat close. You have 2 choices buy this or buy a bullet and rent a gun...you'll need it.

I was more than excited to get started stomping out CD/DVD labels, as I had used this software on my old XP machine (and, while awkward to use, it worked great). However, while it seemed to install fine in Vista, nothing would print. The calibration page actually made a piece of paper feed through, but nothing printed on it. Any other attempts would show a brief flash of something sent to the print spooler, but nothing else. I tried XP compatibility mode, running as administrator... nothing. Printing from other applications works just fine, so it's not my printer or my driver. I ended up using bundled software that came with my CD burner. But hey, the labels themselves are great, and the little plastic stompy-thing is wonderful to perfectly apply the labels every time. If you're purchasing it simply for the physical product, it's more than worth your money.

I totally agree with the other fella...I followed all the software instructions. Got through that okay. Calibrated it with a regular piece of printer paper and got it, what I thought, was about as close as it was going to get (though, when I held the template paper even with my test printer paper, it was off too) BUT, when I put in the template paper, it was a complete disaster. NOT EVEN CLOSE FOLKS! and I know why...my brand new HP Printer does a burnout on the slick backing of the template paper. Meaning my printer is already printing before the template ever gets there. The other guy is lucky...he only spent $12...I spent $14. Lady, however you got your 5 star label maker to work, more power to ya.

Duane Harmon - Cd Labels - Label Makers - Memorex - Dvd Labels'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information