Thursday 1 September 2011

Laptop Backpack - targus, computer backpack


This has the potential to be a great bag, but doesn't quite get there. I replaced a 7-year old Targus backpack that finally gave out, after >100,000 miles of air travel - the zipper for the main laptop compartment broke. Great product, so I thought - we'll go with Targus again.



Wrong. This bag had potential - TONS of storage, lots of pockets, some nice features advertised, so I ordered it. When it arrived, I noticed a significant decline in quality - the nylon is thinner, cheaper, and the laptop storage compartment has almost no padding to speak of. The zippers are cheap - go back to YKKs or at least something with a substantial track and closure mechanism - these won't last.



Targus also advertises a key clip in the front organizer pocket. WRONG - it's NOT there, even though Amazon.com and Targus' website both state that it exists. They've taken it out (likely to cut costs), and this a huge negative for me. Who wants to dig around in their bag after coming home from a week-long trip, standing in a hot parking garage after being on a crowded plane and in airports all days, trying to find their keys? I need those keys to be where they are easily accessible and always in the same spot. That was the primary driver for my old Targus bag - I needed that, and it had one.



On the plus side of things, this bag will hold all but the biggest laptops - guess that's why the padding is so insignificant. The expandable pocket on the front might come in handy - for something purchased last minute that I can't get into my carry-on or checked bag. There are four organizer pockets, ranging in size from gianormous to about the size of a CD case; there are two smaller zippered pockets for change, lip balm, pens, etc., and the side compartments - 1 for a water bottle, 1 for sunglasses/cell phone/PDA are nice.



Debated returning it just because of the key clip - that's a deal-breaker for me, but got a large caribiner clip and we'll see how that works out. If I hate it, back it goes. I also moved over my sunglasses case and the little LED flashlight on the retractable cord, from my old bag - those are things I have to have. Too hard to find something in the bottom of black bag, on a night flight, without that, and my glasses will get crushed in the side pocket.



Shame on Targus - they've always made a quality product - well, at least up until now. I don't expect this bag to last more than a year or two, so I may just move over to Swissgear. Not impressed. I'm traveling tomorrow and plan to move the padding from my old bag over into this one - I just don't think it's sufficient to protect my laptop as-is.



Good luck in your search - hope this helps you make a decision one way or the other. Targus CityGear Backpack Case for 17 Inch Notebooks TCG216 (Black with Grey)

So I needed a very large capacity backpack with a compartment to safely carry a 15 inch laptop, and I got it. Ample space, and its not cluttered up with file organizers, or zippered pouches, or any of that crap which you will almost never use which just ruins the space, so that was good. It doesn't seem cheap, just thin and almost weak. I have it loaded down with 4 text books, all my school supplies, and a laptop, and it is holding up fine, I think it could have been made a little 'sturdier' is all. I'm not disappointed at all though. Good bag if you need to carry a library on your back.

I've only had this bag for less than a couple weeks, so there's still quite a few uncertainties about this bag in terms of durability and longevity. Nonetheless, I have to admit too... this pack is HUUUGE!!! I'm currently only using it for school, in which this bag has more storage space than I'll probably ever need. On the other hand, it also has great potential for traveling, and may offer just enough space, organization, and convenience for a carry-on or weekend getaway. I have a 17" MacBook Pro that fits very easily with ample room to spare. However, I wonder if the 15.4" backpack would've been more snug and just right for the laptop, or maybe too small. The only thing I would've changed was put more velcro on beneath the strap in order to reduce the excess space inside the laptop pocket. Hence, I'm getting a sleeve in order to "fill" that space and for extra padding and Protection of my laptop. Other than that, the backpack does look very nice and stylish, feels very comfortable and lightweight. I just hope the material used to make it that light does not compromise its durability and longevity. But only time will tell I guess.

This bag is a great bag. It has plenty of pockets and space to fit not only by 17 inch laptop, but also all the cords and books I need to carry on a daily basis. I've flown with this bag a couple of times and it fits in the overhead bins very well. It has pockets for the mp3 player, and mouse pocket and water bottle holder. A great bag at a great deal.

Bought this bag to carry my laptop and change of clothes for exercising after work. This product is just what the doctor ordered, it eats up everything that I throw into it and still has room for more. Well constructed and feels very sturdy. Lots of pockets and hiding spaces. Would recommend highly.

It is great for work or school. There are many pockets to store items in. The straps provide comfortability and it doesn't pull on your back too much. The quality of the bag is great as well. I loved the price Amazon offered it at!

This is one great bag. I knew it was a large bag but didn't realize its actual size until I opened it. It holds plenty of books for my classes as well as a full wardrobe when I'm taking small trips. I was happy to get such a great price on the bag, I just hope it holds up like it's supposed to.



My recommendation? Buy it, you wont be disappointed.

I had been looking for a backpack large enough for my large HP DV8T laptop, and this one fits the bill really well. Plenty of room for all kinds of accessories, with room for the kitchen sink too! Seems to be well made, but sinceI've only had it for a couple of months, it's a bit to early to say if it will hold up to heavy use. I think it's a winner. - Targus - 17 Inch Laptop - Laptop Backpack - Computer Backpack'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information