Wednesday 21 September 2011

Mac Book Hard Shell Case - apple, speck


This Speck hard shell case for the MacBook Pro Unibody did not disappoint. I was skeptical, but was pleasantly surprised. It snaps into place, and fits snug. Yet it is easy to remove if necessary. I am VERY pleased I bought this to help prevent the inevitable nicks and dings that come from daily use. I especially love the color (reminiscent of the Blue & White G3) and the fact that it is translucent. Speck See Thru Case for 15-Inch MacBook Pro Aluminum Unibody and 15-Inch MacBook Pro with SD Card Slot (MB15AU-SEE-CLR-D)

It's cute and super protective. I have a brand new MacBook Pro (Aug 2010) and the case fits perfectly and the color is great. I LOVE it!



*Update*

After about a month of using the hard shell case on my MacBook Pro, I noticed that a clip has broken off of one of the corners. I am guessing this will have to be replaced in about 6 months.

When I first purchased this product, it looked great! However, after a few uses, I noticed it scratched easily and it did not fit 100% perfectly (the little hole for the lock was 1 millimeter off, which made a locking cable impossible to use but otherwise matched perfectly! what are the odds?)



Also, for this model of the Macbook Pro, the power charger had to be turned with the wire end towards you, which isn't such a big deal, unless you needed to connect your ethernet cable. That required you to take off your bottom half, which was stupid.



The case also tends to attract dirt and other goodies that like to scratch your laptop unless you continuously take it off and clean it. Too much of a pain for a $50 product.



I haven't even used my case for a year (which is the warranty) and 3 of the 4 clips that hold my bottom half have already popped off.



In the end, this was the most expensive piece of plastic I have ever invested in, and a complete waste and too much of a hassle for such a hefty price tag.



Switching to wrapsol.

So I got my speck case right when it was released, opened the box, and put it on my macbook pro. First I was disappointed that it did not come with a cloth to clean the device but i have several so I grabbed one that I had to clean off my computer. Everything works well the charger can go in either way and works perfectly. Protects like a charm. Only problem is that about once a week you need to remove the case, can be a pain, and clean out the debris that gets inside or else you will end up getting small scratches on the aluminum case of your macbook

What is being reviewed: "Speck Products See Thru Hard Shell Case, for 15-inch MacBook Aluminum Unibody/Black Keyboard MB15AU-SEE-CLR-D (Clear) - DOES NOT FIT WHITE MACBOOK"



My Computer: I used the early 2011 15 inch Macbook Pro release, not the 2010, because I was told that the case would fit the 2010 and the 2011.

Usage: I use my computer everyday, and I like to carry it around.



What's good about this product: It's a case. It's supposed to protect your Macbook Pro from scratches and cosmetic damages. It does what it should do, but barely.



What's bad about this product: It's supposed to protect your Macbook Pro, but it should also be able to protect itself. Unfortunately, it fails to do that. After I put the case on, I felt like I was lugging around my old Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop again. There was a very significant increase in weight, which is expected. However, there is a pretty big gap between the top part of the case (for the lid) and the lid itself. Thus, if anything gets in between that (which was not very hard), you will need to take the case off and clean it off. When you try to take the case back off however, it's very difficult to loosen the clips. After pinching my finger and cracking the bottom part of the case (where the so-called holes for ventilation are located), the case managed to pry loose. As for the top part of the case for the lid, it was very annoying to try to find the clips and pry the case off of that part as well.

If you plan on never taking the case off once you put it on, then JUST maybe this case is for you.

However, if you carry around your Macbook Pro, putting the case on will only increase your load.

I bought this case hoping that it will protect my $4,500 Macbook Pro, but I ended up never using it because of its bulkiness and weight.

Also, the plastic is, feels, and looks very cheap.



Inaccuracy of Description: These cases claim to not interfere with the Magsafe 90 degree charger. Unfortunately, they lied. The charger does, in fact, FIT, but the charger does not fully connect to the charger port when it is put backwards. Why? This is because the corner piece blocks the charger and therefore, the computer will charge, but it is very loose. The charger cannot completely connect itself into the port.



What is the bottom line for this product: Don't buy it unless you plan on never taking it off or never carrying around a light-weight laptop.

The quality is cheap, and it is not worth the money. If you want to buy a good case, buy one that actually fits the computer all around and not just the edges. Buy a case that you can actually take off to clean. As a matter of fact, you should never have to take a case off if it is not broken and if the inside is actually clean. But obviously, this case needed to be taken off because it was so bulky, and therefore, it is a terrible case. I'd rather make my own case out of cardboard and use it than use this case.



Do not buy it. - Speck - Clear Case - Apple - Macbook Pro'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information