Thursday 29 September 2011

Pocket Radio - pocket radio, portable radio


This is a perfect little radio. The reception is very good (much better than a few headphone/radio setup's I've owned), and it is very well made. It's solid and tough. And it's smaller than a pack of cigarettes.There are only 2 downsides I can think of:1. It doesn't have a digital tuner. This can be a major problem with this radio if you're a profuse channel changer. Dialing in your stations is a bit tricky as the slightest adjustment to the tuning dial will send it across many channels. But if you're like me (I pretty much stay on one channel all the time), you'll find this radio to be perfect for you!2. The headphones stink. They do the job, but the radio is actually much better sounding than the headphones allow you to appreciate.It takes only one AA battery and it will last a VERY long time. A set of two AA's will last you dozens of hours.I recommend this radio highly. Sony SRF-59 FM/AM Radio Walkman with Sony MDR Headphones

Man, I wish I knew about this radio a year ago when I bought a highly-rated but, as it turned out, temperamental digital pocket radio. This one has most of the digital radio's virtues and none of its flaws. Reception of the stations I listen to is fine, AM sound is good, and FM sound quality is fantastic, comparing quite favorably to the digital. The local classical station sounds sublime, and "Coast to Coast AM" doesn't fade out on me. Construction is lightweight and extremely rugged. The tuning dial is a little difficult to fine-tune; if Sony wants to improve this model, they'll make a large disk-type dial with a recessed window that shows the frequency instead of this tiny and ambiguous linear scale. The included headphones don't do justice to the radio's clean sound--an extra $8 to $10 and you're good to go. The belt clip appears to be rugged, but only time will tell. It holds the radio firmly in place.



If you want a simple pocket radio, this one is the best value for the money. Sony still makes really good low-end stuff.

This radio has actually exceeded my expectations. Easily the best pocket radio that I've owned in a good ten years.



As noted by others, this radio has great AM reception. No, the included headphones are not good. But when used with better ones the sound quality is, dare I say, excellent for a radio of this price. A surpisingly warm, rich sound - not the harsh/brittle/thin sound of other radios that I was afraid of. Compare it to a radio like the god-awful RCA RP1667 in order to truly appreciate how great this little radio is. And for the price you can't beat it. I even like the analog tuning and volume controls.



Just to correct a previous reviewer, this radio does indeed receive FM in stereo.



[...I never thought I'd write something so positive about anything... what's happened to me?....]

THANK YOU SONY for not messing up a great design.



This radio is simply perfect for what it does.



I'm on my third incarnation of this radio and will buy another one.



By calling it a "Volkswagen Beetle" I mean that it's simple, efficient and does the job.



I am a radio junky and listen hours every day... in bed, around the house, walking in the rain. I also take this radio overseas, on mountain tops, on public transportation, etc.. I used to really enjoy using it on airplanes until they changed the rules!



I suppose if you only listen to a few pre-sets, maybe you'd like a digital better.



But for "surfing" or finding to far-away stations, an analogue dial is way better. Most old ham radio guys (like me) will tell you that a dial is the best way to get the best signal.



The radio has only a few buttons and dials but they are the right one.

The two thumb dials (frequency, volume) on this radio are perfect -- they are easy to dial but firm enough to hold their positions in your pocket.



The buttons are the only ones you really need:

* A dedicated on-off button.

It's big and in the right place. I love a dedicated button because I can turn it off during the commercials or phone call. When I turn it on again, it's on the right station and at the right volume. Having a dual-use volume and power knob (as many radios do) means you're always re-adjusting the volume.



* AM/FM (no comment needed)



* FM DX/Local

This is a touch of class. You will probably leave it on "DX" (which means far away in ham radio slang) unless you live near a big FM antenna -- then you're very glad it's there!



As for "DXing" on AM -- this radio does well. I have one of the better table top AM radios around (the GE SuperRadio III) and this little Sony holds its own against that.



It goes for hours and hours on one AA battery. I've never timed it but it's so efficient that you don't have to worry if you leave it on over night or similar. I use it for hours every day but change the battery only rarely.



It is loud enough. I happen to prefer hear buds and it is VERY loud enough with those.



Durability -- I have never broken one, despite having dropped it a zillion times. I've never totally immersed one in water but I've had them rained on or used them with wet hands many times.



My only changes in design would be very minor - I wish Sony would add a little hole to attach a lanyard, so I cold wear it around my neck. Also, on rare occasions under pressure, the belt-hook will self release. But this might be better than the alternative of actually breaking (it is plastic, after all.)



Last but not least is the affordable price -- I hate to pay too much for portable devices since it is so easy to lose them. You can find portable radios cheaper than this one but I wouldn't expect them to be half as good.



(I must seem a little nutty about this product! It's just that I rarely get to review something I like so well after having used for so many years. (fifteen years? more?). - Am-fm - Pocket Radio - Portable Radio - Radio'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information