Wednesday 7 September 2011

Portable Hard Drive - 1 tb, portable hard drive


It had been a while since I had purchased a WD My Passport drive. Having had a good experience from past WD portable products, I decided to get this as my main backup drive for my MacBook Pro using Time Machine among other things.



I wasn't aware about this SmartWare software that came with the drive. This is partly my fault for assuming that whatever software that came with it, it could be easily deleted like most other software thrown in portable drives from other manufacturers. This is not the case with WD's SmartWare. It comes in a form of virtual CD (VCD image) on the hard drive.



*** There is no way to remove this and reclaim the 650MB it consumes ***



The only way to kill the annoying pop-up and disk mount when you plug it into your Mac, is to run the configuration utility for it and select, disable from appearing/mounting. You have to download the latest version of the utility, and also the latest firmware for the drive. It felt like a chore, cause I hate installing crap I don't need on my Mac in the first place.



This is pointless in a Mac (considering that this drive is marketed as a Mac drive in the first place), as you will use Time Machine for backups over this crappy utility. I can see this option perhaps useful on a PC and even on a PC, I wouldn't use this myself.



I regret purchasing this and I'm disappointed in WD forcing this to the consumer. At least give us the option to reclaim the space. I know 650MB isn't that big of an impact on a 1TB drive, but that's not the point. When you reach the maximum capacity of the TB, you'd be agreeing more and more with this review. Western Digital My Passport SE for Mac 1 TB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Silver)

I bought WD Passport for Mac 1TB few days ago and I'm loving it! It's so easy to use "caveman can do it"... seriously, you can start using it just by attaching the cord (included in the product) to the drive and your computer and start coping/moving files to the drive. I read some negative reviews about the software (SmartWare) that comes with the drive, but know this... YOU DO NOT NEED TO INSTALL IT TO USE THIS PRODUCT! If you don't like it don't install it, it's that simple (you can uninstall it if you already installed it, go to "Extras" folder in the Smartware VCD and you'll find the uninstall application there). I use the product for backing up files using Time Machine and move files manually from my work laptop. I highly recommend this product.

I am very pleased with this product. Nice compact size, works with Time Machine right out of the box. The included tools do a good job. I love how easy it is to password protect.



USB 2.0 is not as fast as firewire BUT the firewire products seemed to be bigger. I gladly accepted the negligible difference in speed.



And on a appearance note, I love the fact it is the same silver as my Macbook Pro. Makes a nice overall impression.



Highly Recommend.

So far, so good for 4 weeks. Was never impressed with WD HD's for Mac, and used a Lacie Little Disk for mobile storage away from main desktop TM back up-- another Lacie. If this little guy holds up, I can definitely see a conversion happening.



Pros:

Quiet, efficient back up that is roughly the size of iPhone 3G! A TB more than handles the back up, plus other items I may want down the road.



Con:

The cable! Seriously WD...why introduce this complexity (the only mini-USB device I own)? Take a note from the Little Disk and just build it in. I'd rather have the bulk added in the form of 'built-in,' than bundled loosely in my pocket or bag. Better yet, add a Firewire 8 connection, and convert all Mac mobile storage users.

It looks great but is a CONSTANT struggle to use. It refuses to eject/unmount, and when I DO finally get it to do so, when I plug it back in it's not recognized. I am constantly having to use Disk Utility to get it to work. I'm going to get all this stuff backed up somehow then reformat as FAT32. Maybe that will work. Seriously, this is a huge disappointment, I have 4 other Passport drives but this is the only HFS one, and I've never had a bit of trouble with the others.



Maybe if I had gotten this free like many of the other reviewers I'd like it better but I doubt it. Because no drive should ever be this much of a headache to use.

This HDD works perfectly well with my Mac! I am using this connected to my airport extreme, as network storage device and backup for my two computers (using Time Machine). No need for a Time Capsule. Installation is flawless and all you need to do is connect it to your airport extreme. I am not concerned about the preinstalled smart ware... I didn't have to use it at all. Time Machine can do the backup for you. Overall a great product. I've had this product for a month and no problems so far. - Portable Hard Drive - Wd - External Hard Drive - 1 Tb'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information