Sunday 18 September 2011

Power Adapter - apple, ipad accessory


Something that comes along with every "cool" device out there are the overpriced accessories and this power adapter is no exception.



In owning my iPad for a month, I've spent about half of what the device costs just on accessories for it. Most of them are to add functionality (camera kit, keyboard), some add security (case, bag, screen protector), some add convenience (bluetooth headphones, dock/stand).



This device fits into the last category. Unfortunately you do pay for the convenience and the looks of the device (something that looks sleek and matches your iProduct). It's very similar to the power adapter your iPad comes with, except this one has a 6 foot "cord" attachment. (basically the prongs on the power adapter pop off and a 6 foot extension cord plugs in where the prongs used to go - you can try it on your included adapter). The included adapter (with the iPad) is about 3 feet long which just isn't enough if you plan to plug it in and set the iPad on your desk. Most of the time its just SLIGHTLY too short - another 6-12 inches of cord and you'd be fine. If you're in that situation where you need just a little more reach, this is your "official" option. The bonus is that it gives you an extra power adapter (good for keeping at work or with you in case you need to charge it). I was a bit disappointed to see that the cord isn't a perfect match for the power adapter (color is a bit off, it's thicker than the USB cord, etc..) - something you'd figure would be "perfect" for the premium being charged. Also of note is that it used a 3-prong plug (2 and a ground) opposed to the 2 prong piece included with the flip-out 'default' power adapter - this can be an issue for anyone who doesn't have a 3-prong outlet available.



In the end, if you don't need a second power adapter or you just don't care how "nice" it looks, a simple RiteAV - 6 ft. Power Extension Cord will do the same thing to your current adapter at 1/10th the price. If you'd like a "nicer looking" option, or simply a 2nd power brick to take with you, this is the way to go. Apple iPad 10W USB Power Adapter (MC359LL/A)

First of all, there are some 1-star reviews for this item based on a $60 price that someone was trying to gouge months ago. That's no longer the price you pay on Amazon, it's about $30 as it should be. It would be nice if people would update their reviews, but that's life.



Second, what makes this charger different from any other USB charger out there is that it delivers up to 2 amps of current to the device it's charging. This lets it charge the iPad fast, and other appliances (iPhone, iPod) even faster. You can plug your iPad into an ordinary 0.5-1 amp USB charger and it will charge, but it'll take many hours.



When I travel now I bring this charger along with my trusty Belkin Mini Surge Protector Dual USB Charger. If my phone is low, I plug it in to the 10W charger, sleep the screen, and it's 100% in less than an hour. The iPad takes a couple of hours. If I need two devices at once, the Belkin's twin USB ports provide 1 amp each, plenty for all the smaller gadgets.

I got this Apple iPad 10W power adapter and it came with the apple USB cable and an AC power extension cable. As a 10W power adapter, it provides enough power for the Apple iPad. And it does. It charged my iPad. And since the iPhone has lower power requirements, this power adapter also charged my iPhone. Although the iPad already came with a 10W power adapter and USB cable, the iPad did not come with the AC power extension cable. Getting the AC power extension cable with this 10W power adapter will come in handy for me. Anyways, I wanted to get a second 10W power adapter to put in my bag for charging both my iPad and iPhone - while leaving the original 10W power adapter at home. I already had a bunch of apple USB cables including six-foot apple USB cables, but getting the AC power extension cable is a nice bonus for me.



I bought this 10W power adapter as "used like new" (like an "open box" return) from amazon-seller SaveCentral for thirteen bucks plus shipping. (Check with the different amazon sellers as to their different prices.) This power adapter, with the USB cable and the AC power cable, came in a real Apple product box that was sealed and therefore was practically brand new as far as I can tell. By the way, the side of the box says that this 10W power adapter is: "Compatible with iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and iPod nano." I compared this 10W power adapter with my original 10W power adapter for the iPad, and they looked and felt exactly the same. I note this because you do have to be careful when buying Apple accessories like these power adapters because some sellers may be selling knock-off shanzai fakes. (I have several non-real Apple 5W power adapters for iPhone and iPod that fortunately all work, but you can tell the difference.)



Based on my experience, I would say this: if you want a 10W power adapter for iPad, then you need to get the real thing. This is because, elsewhere, others may be selling iPad power adapters but are erroneously selling the 5W power adapter that looks the same until you try it out and see the 5W in the small print labeling on the power adapter. I took a risk in buying this power adapter from a third-party amazon marketplace seller, but I was fortunate to happily get the real thing.



This was the real thing, is brand new, and I am happy. - Ipad Accessory - Apple - Cable - Power Adapter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information