Sunday 18 September 2011

Ryobi 12 Volt - battery charger, ryobi 12 volt


The product arrived exactly as described, we plugged it in and it charged our drill's battery. However, we have since noticed that it has stopped working. It is supposed to have a red light that lights when the battery is inserted (this lets you know that it is working). The light went out, and we soon realized that it was no longer charging. Ryobi Charger 1411141

My original Ryobi charger went south, but I love the drill. An easy fix is as follows. I unplugged the charger and removed the bottom cover then attached my car battery charger (12V) to the charger terminals underneath the Ryobi charger (check power cord wires for +/- location). Put the Ryobi battery back in the charger unit and trickle charge the battery that way. Remember to not use the Ryobi power cord, the car battery charger is supplying the juice.

I had the original charger which is no longer manufactured for over 4 years. After it died, this model was substituted and I had two replacements both die the same way (being left on overnight). Now I have to use a manual timer which shuts power off after 3 hours.



Weird....Ryobi was nice but said that's just the way it is...

I read the reviews after I had bought this product. Since my charger had just went out, I was happy to find that Amazon carried it. I immediately ordered it and then decided to scan the reviews. I could not believe how negative the reviews were for this item.



Well when I received it, I plugged it in, placed in a battery, the red charging light went on, and then the light went off. The charger was BROKE. It lasted almost two seconds!



I contacted Ryobi. They sent me to a local warranty repair shop in town. I took the charger and waited 1.5 weeks to get my charger back. I returned to the shop to pick up the charger. I had carried my batteries with me this time. The shop checked out my batteries and said they were good. I plugged the battery into the newly fixed charger. Well guess what? The Charger lasted 5 minutes before the red charging light went out again.



Long story short, I decided I would read the Amazon reviews BEFORE buying for now on. I have since replaced my Ryobi drill with a DeWalt (twice as expensive) and could not be happier.

This product failed after one charge of my batteries!. I'm not sure who is in charge of their quality control but I would have thought it would have lasted longer than 1 charge. This also reflects upon Amazon since it is their name that has been tarnished. - Tools - Ryobi 12 Volt - Battery Charger - Poor Design'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information