Sunday 18 September 2011

School Supplies - school supplies, electric pencil sharpener


I don't sharpen pencils but my kids do and they are happy with this Swingline sharpener.



It's probably worth noting that the battery is only an option, not the main power source. Unless you're on the road the sharpener is going to stay plugged into a wall outlet but it's good to know that, come a hurricane or a blackout, the battery option is there. By the way, you are going to need SIX AA batteries.



What we like the most about the Swingline is its being a good pencil sharpener. We also like its shape/design, its quiet operation and the battery as an alternative power source. It's easy to maintain and clean and it performed well so far.



Absent any defects it's a five-star rating by default. Swingline Compact Electric Pencil Sharpener, with Battery Power Option (29965)

This sharpener is much bigger than I expected. I had to sharpen 24 #2 pencils for my daughters kindergarden class - it hasn't been used since. Of those 24 pencils, they are different lengths as the sharpener quickly sharpened some pencils and not so quickly on others (evenly around was the same type of variability). If you are looking for a home use/kids school pencils type of sharpener this is fine. If you need percision, this probably isn't it.



It looks pretty study so I do expect it to last a while.

Almost magical.



I inserted an unsharpened pencil into it, and soon thereafter I held in my hand a sharp pencil!



I feel like a wizard, or some sort of genius with this tool. My pencils are sharp, in any case.

Put batteries in sharpener right after it arrived in the mail. When sharpening the first pencil, it began to smell and smoke started to come out of the battery compartment. I don't know if the same thing would have happened if I had used it plugged in. As a side note, it also broke the pencil lead. Returned it to Amazon without difficulty.

I had this item on my Christmas wish list, after considerable research on pencil sharpners. However, when I did get it, it broke within 2 seconds of inserting a pencil into the shaprner! A small plastic piece broke off inside. I say, that for an instrument that can't even sharpen a pencil without breaking, it is a cheap badly made product. I will never buy it again and am sending it back to amazon.

Note: This review is being written by the husband of "MomOfTwoBoys", who is currently sitting in a Yoga position, sipping a glass of white wine, and chanting oooom in an attempt to bring down her blood pressure.



I would rate this pencil sharpener as two stars. My wife says one star and only because "zero stars" is not an option. My wife is not an overly critical person by nature but her contempt for this model sharpener has no bounds. She can't get it to work. She tries gently sticking in the pencil, she tries it forcefully, she tries twisting the pencil as she inserts it...nada, zilch, nothing. For a while she found that unpluging the power adapter from the unit would cause the sharpner to spring into action, but sadly, no more. My interactions with the device have been a little better. I found that if I had a positive attitude when using it, I got better results. I would say a few encouraging words and I could get one or two pencils sharpened before the thing would refuse to service me anymore. But if I waited 10 or 20 minutes and came back with some more sweet words of kindness, I could tweak out another sharperning, but really, who has that kind of time. Trying to get through a pack of 20 pencils for your kids' school supplies on a Sunday night can take the better part of the evening if my patience persists and meanwhile my wife is in the other word calling the machine names that I cannot repeat here. So, no, I would not recommend this Swingline automatic pencil sharpner for its intended use. Now, if have an itch to annoy your spouse who is typically an easy going person, then that's a different matter all together!

I bought this because I needed an automatic pencil sharpener and it had a nice design.

I could care less about the design but if I am going to get one, why not get one with a sleek design?

But this pencil sharpener does not even work properly.

After trying to sharpen a few different types of standard-sized pencils with this machine, I gave up.

I don't usually write reviews on products I buy, but I just wanted to warn people.

I ordered it as a new product but received it with pencil scraps still remained in the container. The pencil sharpener stalled after I sharpened 3 pencils and needed to empty the container for restart. I contacted Amazon and received my refund. I do not recommend "BestSource Stationers" as the reseller and I am not sure the the low quality Swingline Compact Electric Pencil Sharpener is due to the manufacture or the reseller. The refund process was done by Amazon chat and it took about 25 mins for less than 10 conversations. I think it was little long since the representive didn't inform me what he was doing on the other side and just left me waiting. I will definitely shop with Amazon again for the refund policy for this incident. - Electric Pencil Sharpener - Electric Sharpener - School Supplies - Pencil Sharpener'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information