Sunday 25 September 2011

Screen Protectors - screen protectors, ipad


As an iTouch owner, I had used a clear screen protector with generally good results, although there were a very few bubbles that weren't really a distraction once the device was in use.



I had pre-ordered an iPad on the first day that they became available to order and knew that with the much larger screen, I would definitely need a screen protector.



My iPad arrived today (April 3rd) and I immediately attempted to install one of the three "Premium Crystal Clear Screen Protectors" as son as I removed the iPad from its box.



The method of installation was basically the same as for the iTouch screen protector that I had previously used. First you peel off one side of the backing with a tab. You then place the screen onto the iPad screen, trying to do so without leaving a lot of bubbles. I tried as best I could to align the screen hole over the iPad button and then slowly applied the rest of the screen moving from bottom to top. Unfortunately after applying the screen and then removing the outside of the clear screen with the other tab, I was left with a LOT of bubbles.



Hoping to do better I repeated the process using the second of the supplied screens. My efforts the second time were a bit better in terms of a smaller amount of bubbles, but then I noticed a piece of yellow lint that had been left by the supplied yellow cleaning cloth that I had used to wipe the iPad screen. When I tried to remove the lint with the cloth and replaced the clear screen back onto the iPad screen, there was a noticeable smudge.



I was now down to the last of the three supplied screens and repeated the process again except this time I discovered that when applying the clear screen to the iPad screen DIAGONALLY starting from the bottom and moving toward the top, you can do so leaving almost no bubbles at all. You will also need to be make certain that the sides of the clear screen and the iPad screen are aligned exactly or you will be left with a long bubble down most of one side.



After going through all of this trial and error, I was finally able to have a clear screen in acceptable condition with only a few bubbles. I only hope that readers of this review will learn from my own initial difficulties and not have to use all three of the supplied screens before arriving at a satisfactory result. 3 Pack of Premium Crystal Clear Screen Protectors for Apple iPad

This product works great once you figure out how it works.



At first glance it looks like 2 pieces stuck together that you have to pull apart.

It then appears that you should apply the thin one to your iPad. wrong.



The thicker side still has an invisible piece stuck to it.



You apply the thicker piece smoothly over your ipad and then squeeze out the few bubbles you see.

rub the whole face now to get the invisible layer to stick.



You then Peel Off the thick piece and you will see that another layer is present on your iPad.



This would have been nice to include as instructions but no instructions came with the product.

I would say that is pretty rude considering you cannot even see the piece that will be used.



So I bought the pack of 3 and got my last one to work. I figured it out on #2, #3 was perfect.

I've read most of the reviews for this product and it seems like the complaints revolve around installation. I too went through two before setting the last one down perfectly with virtually no bubbles. Start at the top and make sure the paper tab lettering is facing the iPad. Pull slowly from underneath and you will see that it lays is self down virtually with no bubbles. I just purchased a second set so I have them ready for when I damage the one I just installed.

I've applied this type of screen protector in the past (on my iPod Touch, Nintendo DS / DSi, and my PSP). Using the tips below, I was able to apply this LCD screen protector 99% bubble free. I was actually pleasantly surprised I was able to do this since it was by far the largest screen protector I've ever applied.



The instructions that come with the package are not very helpful. Below are mine. Hope they help.



INSTRUCTIONS / TIPS

====================



1) CLEAN the surface of your iPad. Use a microfiber cloth and even use a compressed air can if you want to be sure. Position yourself or a light so that you would be able to see ANY specs. Any leftover specs will raise the screen protector and will give you a bubble that you CANNOT remove. Keep the iPad's screen OFF so you have a better chance of seeing any specks.



2) First remove the plastic envelope/pouch that directly contains the screen protector.



3) Without removing and of the backing, place the screen protector with the hole over the iPad's circle button. Now you know exactly how much leeway you will have.

Also make sure that the circle is popped out of the screen protector.



4) Find something flexible and semi-rigid to push away the air bubbles. You WILL be getting air bubbles as you apply the screen protector. The trick will be to remove them as you apply the screen protector. With smaller screen protectors, I've used credit cards. But in this case, the screen is bigger. I've found that the plastic Staples cards you get in the mail (the ones that the size of postcards) are very helpful for this task. Your second choice may be a credit card or the very thin, plastic window of a cheap picture frame. Whatever you use, make sure it has a sizable straight edge and no sharp corners (You don't want to puncture the screen protector).



6) Peel away a corner of the backing (The side labeled #1). Don't peel the whole backing off. You'll need to touch the backing in order to reposition the screen protector if necessary.



7) Continue to peel the backing but keep it minimal. You want just enough so that you can position the hole over the circle button. If you don't get it the 1st time, remove from the iPad's surface as little as possible and try again. Be careful to avoid getting any dust on the iPad's screen at this time. This is why it's good to keep as much backing on as possible.



8) After you have adequately centered the hole around the circle button, begin to slowly peel the Side 1 Backing while you use your flexible card to push away any air bubbles. Push the bubbles to the EDGE of the screen protector. If there are bubbles that are difficult to get rid of and if you're certain that's it just a bubble and not caused by specks, then you can gently remove as much backing as needed from the iPad's screen and try again. TAKE YOUR TIME.



9) Hopefully you've managed to attach the screen protector with minimal bubbles. Continue to push away as many bubbles as possible.



10) Now you need to peel of Side 2 Backing. But since the screen protector is already attached to your iPad screen, you will need to be VERY careful and slow. It's possible that the quick removal of Side 2 Backing can lift the screen protector off of the iPad screen and cause air bubbles. If there are air bubbles, use the flexible card to push away any air bubbles.



That's it, you're done. Sit back and treat yourself to a new app.



CONCLUSION

==========

I liked the fact that it includes 3 screen protectors. I was able to succeed with my first one but it's nice to know that there are backups.



I didn't like the minimal instructions with the package (and the Engrish spellings). This item is very cheap. If it were more expensive, I would expect to get a flexible plastic card for getting rid of the air bubbles.



The screen protector itself has a slightly oily residue. When your iPad is off, you can see it. The residue is not visible when the iPad is turned on. - Case - Ipad Case - Screen Protectors - Ipad'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information