Thursday 15 September 2011

Sharpening Stones


Are there "better" sharpeners on the market? Probubly. But as an all around sharpener (I have several styles by several different manufacturers) this little gem is hands down THE BEST! Otherwise I would not have spent a week tracking this one down on the internet after all my local suppliers were "out of stock" or had moved on to more expensive less useful models. The thing folds up and goes in my pocket, it also has a handy hole for a lanyard which my new one is on. It does a great job on my chefs knives, my hunting knife and my serrated kives as well. It's easy for my big fingers to hold on to and steady on the edge of the counter when I am sharpening. I bought an extra one to put away in case this one gets "lost" or I give mine away to a friend. (In case you can't tell I really like it and would buy another one in a minute flat!)

This is a great sharpener it makes knives super sharp but not quite razor sharp it is much better than Smith's Abrasives 2 Step Knife Sharpener, that sharpener gets knives just as sharp as it has the same angles to the ceramic part of the sharpener; but that uses rods which get loose and end up rolling as you draw your knife through it and don't sharpen your knife. Also this is easier to get a blade into the ceramic sharpening part. This also includes a serrated knife sharpener, and this works well but i can't say much for it as it is the first serrated knife sharpener i have ever used.



i recommend pulling the blade through the carbide part 10 times using semi heavy to medium force, the using the ceramic part about 10 times using medium force then lighting up to about as light as you can get by the 10th stroke

skip the carbide part if your knife is already adequately sharp, only use the carbide part if your knife i dull or damaged as it takes off a lot of steel

I have been sharpening my own knives for years using the Gatco system. Normally I wouldn't trust my knives to anything but me and my Gatco. However, I do tend to spend a lot of time out in the woods and having a portable knife sharpener is an important part of my gear.



I was initially very hesitant to try this style of sharpener since the sharpening angle is fixed and not determined by me. Having now used the Smith's sharpener on several of my hunting and camping knives, I am recommending it to all my friends and have even purchased one for my hunting partner.



Great product, and I would buy it even at twice the price.

Good sharpener but with caveats.



Positives: small size, carbide cutters are very effective at removing metal, ease of use (no special techniques)



Negatives: small contact point on the blade (see below, not very stable if much pressure is applied



Due to the small contact point with the blade, pressure is directed onto a very small portion of the blade. This pressure will vary as you slide the blade through the sharpener (either as a result of nicks in the blade or human error/ inability to maintain perfect pressure). As a result you will end up with a slightly wavy edge to knife. Over time this waviness will likely be exaggerated.



I would say this sharpener is okay for a "quick and dirty" field sharpening of a camping or pocket knife, but I would not use it on fine blade steel or good kitchen knives.



Cheers.

Bought this sharpener on a whim while at a local sporting goods store. I badly dulled one of my favorite pocket knives from over use. Impatiently, I tore open the package in my car and went to work. I figured that if the sharpener was bogus, I could just walk right back into the store and return it.



WOW!!! Was I surprised. This thing is amazing! A few passes through the carbide blades followed by a few through the ceramic and I was sold. Brand new, my knife was NEVER this sharp - and it only took a few seconds.



It's compact, light weight, amazingly effective and idiot proof. If you're thinking about getting one of these, don't even hesitate - just buy it.



Still can't believe that this thing is only $10. Best money I've ever spent.

Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multi-Functional Knife Sharpener is a worthwhile knife sharpener that is easy to use, compact, very affordable and perfect for field use when a quick sharpening is needed.



The Carbides provide a quick edge setting for knives that are very dull or chipped. The ceramic stones provide a razor sharp finished edge on either standard or serrated edges. The carbide and ceramic stones are replaceable. A fold out, tapered round, diamond coated rod is designed for sharpening serrated as well as standard edges. The Pocket Pal Multi-Functional Knife Sharpener is lightweight, durable, and comes with a lanyard hole. It is small enough to put in your pocket if necessary or in an E.D.C. bag.



I tested this sharpener on numerous knives such as a Spyderco, Ka-Bar Tactical, Leatherman, Air Force Survival knife and multiple Swiss Army Knives. I was very pleased how effective and efficient this sharpener worked. The tapered round, diamond coated rod was very easy to use on serrations. The only problem I encountered with this sharpener is that it does not seem to work as well with thicker blades. It does work but it is a little more difficult and the carbides seem to wear the blade down a bit more which is why I give it 4 stars instead of 5. I would not use this sharpener with a very high quality or expensive knife. I would say this sharpener is perfect for those times when a fast field sharpening of a camping or pocket knife is required.



Overall, I highly recommend this product and I will be purchasing another as a backup.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information