Saturday 3 September 2011

Stührling Original - skeleton watch, stuhrling


I got this watch in Nov. 2008. It was great for the first four months. Then one day I looked down at it to check the time and noticed there was a heavy haze on the inside of the glass. If the watch was sealed properly, this would have never been an issue. After a few days, the haze went away, but then I noticed something rattling around in the watch. Upon a closer look, I noticed a little blue screw and some sort of gear rolling around at the bottom of the watch. There is a one year warranty through Stuhrling, but they want you to pay a $20 shipping cost to get it to them. $20 is extremely high to ship a watch and a rip off. Be cautious. The watch is beautiful, but it will probably fall apart very quickly. Stuhrling Original Men's 165B.331554 Lifestyle Winchester Grand Automatic Skeleton Watch

I consider myself a male fashionista for the most part, and generally do not buy watches that are not produced by reputable, high end companies, with my previous watches being Gucci, Tag Heuer, etc.



I do however own lower grade watches, but again have stuck to larger known companies such as Timex, Kenneth Cole, Eddie Bauer, without issue.



I had never heard of Stuhrling, found limited information on them and was entirely skeptical of the quality and appearance this watch could have.



However, Amazon was offering a great price, and the watch "appeared" to be very largely discounted (though I don't give much credibilty to the regular prices, thus discounts shown here), and thus the price was such that I was comfortable taking a chance regardless.



All I can say is I am INCREDIBLY HAPPY with this watch!! It is simply gorgeous to look at, very good quality, and much more than I expected! I can honestly say that people are always asking me to see it, asking where I got it, and it draws the attention of watches 20x its price!



So if you seek a funky, semi-blinged out watch that can be worn formally or informally, don't even think about it! Get this watch!



Lastly, if you are ordering this item as a gift, you will be VERY pleasantly surprised by the packaging it comes in. There was a VERY expensive looking, felt lined yellow embossed sturdy rectangular box it came in, with all kinds of warranty/official info/logo etc., tags and documents also enclosed. The packaging makes the watch appear to be much much more expensive than it is! Thus a great gift to give if you ask me!



The ONLY negative I can offer about this watch is that it does work on kinetic energy, and if you don't wear it often, it will always have the wrong time and need to be reset. However, once set and wound, it works flawlessly!



Great choice.

My wife bought me this watch for my birthday and I am writing this review under her name. I got the watch on a tuesday, opened it up around 6:00 in the evening it was beautiful, looks just like the pictures. Wound it up, put it on my wrist and was a happy camper. The leather band takes a little while to break in, maybe 3 days of wearing. Thursday evening I got home from work and looked at my wrist, but my watch had stopped. I tried widing it, shaking it to get it to auto wind, wound the spring all the way up but to no avail. So its about 6:30 by this time. I call Amazon and tell them what happened, the next day there was a new watch sitting at my doorstep, free of charge, with a label to send the broken one back with. No hassle, that was great. I have had my new one for about 2 weeks now and I am extremely happy with it. I wind it every couple of days and it has been running just fine. I set it when I got it and have not had to adjust the time at all. I was a little leary because some reviewers said it doesnt keep time very well and that you will have to reset it every few days, but 2 1/2 weeks into it the watch is keeping perfect time and hasnt seemed to lose even a second. I would recommend it to other people, it is a little bit large for my taste but since the band has worn in it seems to sit nicer on my wrist than it did when I first got it. I get many compliments on it and I love just staring at it watching the 'guts' move.

I bought this watch for my husband as a Christmas gift. The second day wearing it, it started making rattle sounds, like a piece was loose. One week later, it stopped working. We did not send it back because we live overseas and it was not worth the hassle. Poor crafstmanship, poor quality materials, worst watch I have ever bought. We threw it in the garbage can, did not even bother taking it to our jeweler to get it fixed

I got this watch as a birthday present. I wanted something different from the Nixons and Fossils I already own and this was exactly it. Some people have commented on how the metal insides are not polished from the back, but its just the back of the numbers, the gears are shiny and look really cool. I like the contrast between the flat and shiny insides when looking through the back so that doesn't bother me. To date I haven't had any problems with it. Everything works great and from someone who has bought much more expensive watches, I don't think it feels cheap or shoddily made at all. As for its ability to keep time, manual watches (including this self winding watch) are never as precise as quartz watches. This is a commonly known fact, you will always lose a couple seconds a day in a watch that is based on springs whereas the quartz uses an electromagnetic pulse that can be calculated very precisely. Mechanical watches are also not as durable as quartz watches, they are more delicate and require special care. This is not a watch to take out camping or dirt biking. Too much jostling and slamming around can damage the gears and knock pieces loose, this is just a characteristic of mechanical watches. Don't knock this watch for something that it wasn't designed to do. It is a beautiful timepiece that at least for now has performed exactly as I expected it to. If you want something extremely precise and durable, buy a quartz watch but you will lose out on the really cool skeleton features. Otherwise buy a more expensive mechanical watch! - Skeleton Watch - Automatic - Stuhrling - Watches'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information