Tuesday 20 September 2011

Training Fins


I haven't bought these yet (so ignore the rating...will rate when I receive them), but was having a hard time finding a sizing chart. With so many comments about sizing difficulties, I figured I needed one before purchase. On the speedo.com site I couldn't find a chart for the Biofuse fins. I finally found a sizing chart on [...] and have no idea as to its accuracy. However, I thought it would be worth posting here:



Speedo Biofuse Fins run quite small with regards to their sizing chart. If you are on the upper end of any size, we recommend sizing up to the next greater size.



XXS - Men's 3-4 Women's 5-5.5

XS - Men's 5-6 Women's 6-7.5

S - Men's 7-8 Women's 8-9.5

M - Men's 8-9 Women's 10-10.5

L - Men's 10-11 Women's 11-13

XL - Men's 11-12

XXL - Men's 12-13 Speedo Biofuse Training Fin, Large (10-11)

I bought these fins after using 2 pairs of Zoomers. The Zoomers left my feet blistered, even after I tried a different size and using socks under them. These Speedo Fins fit really well and I feel the same level of exertion as I did with the Zoomers. I've only used them about 6 times so far, for about 4000 yards total, but I'm very satisfied with them.

Several people have indicated that these fins are undersized. This is an understatement. I finally received a pair that seems to fit. As I write this review I am wearing the new pair of fins just received in the mail. Even though they are two sizes over my normal size, they are still slightly tight but reasonably comfortable. With this in mind, I am not writing about the swimming efficiency of the fins, but about their sizing.



My shoe size is normally a 10.5 men. Based on a similar Speedo training fin product this is roughly a large. Unless, I missed something I couldn't find an adequate sizing for the fins on this site. Taking the advice of other reviews, I ordered an XL. They arrived. It was like Cinderella's shoe on everyone else. The lack of fit was obvious. They didn't fit. I sent them back.



As a footnote, be careful what you check as the reason for return. If it is Amazon.com's fault, they will pay for shipping. Totally improper sizing in my humble estimation is their fault. After checking the correct box indicating why I was returning the item, Amazon.com finally agreed we me that it was there fault and paid for the return. (Be forewarned when you check your box).



I reordered an XXL. They arrived today. They fit. As I write this review, my feet are still comfortable in the fins. The lessons learned are as follows....



1. A men's 10.5 shoe size is normally a "L" but is an XXL size in these fins. Use this as a reference for your shoe size.



2. My guess is that if your shoe size is an 11.5 or 12 or greater, you might want to forget about these fins and search for something else. XXL is the largest size.



3. The sizing on the actual fin indicates the following information: XXL is US size 12-13. Wrong!

I am currently a masters swimmer and former competitive swimmer in my youth. I have the "no kick gene", and always am looking for tools to help strengthen my kick. Over the last couple years I have used Zoomer's (red and blue) and TYR split fins. The Speedo Biofuse worked my legs, calves, much harder than any of those others. I have yet to see if it has helped drop my times in a meet, but they are helping my kick in practice. They fit my flat feet well, but I found the sizing to be small small, so size up to get a decent fit. I also believe it is good to "rotate" training aids, like fins and paddles, to get optimum effect and help avoid boredom. These fins deserve a rotation in the swim bag if you are more than just a casual swimmer.

These are great fins for adding to your pool workout. I've been using them for a few weeks now.



Caution: sizes run small. I usually wear an 11.5 in most boots and shoes (Nike 12). I ordered the XXL fins that report to be for size 12-13, and my toes stick out the end of these fins. If Speedo offered a XXXL, I'd be inclined to return these for a switch. Since they don't, I just deal with my Fred Flinstone-looking feet sticking out of the front of the fins.

I wear a 13 in regular shoes. For whatever reason, Speedo seems to have left us bigger footed folk out of the design loop for this one. Perhaps they feel that our feet are big enough to serve as fins? Not sure. But, if you have big feet, DON'T BOTHER. Check out the Speedo speed training fin instead, at least it comes in larger sizes.

I've worn the Speedo Biofuse fins just a couple of times now, both in the ocean and in the pool, and I've noticed a considerable difference in the leg workout compared to the snorkling fins I used previously. I feel it both in the thighs and the calfs, as opposed to just the thighs, where I felt it with other fins. I ordered up one size based on other reviews I had read (normally wear a size 8 shoe, and ordered the large, size 10-11 fin), and though they're slightly loose, they stay on just fine and are comfortable. I don't think I would have fit in the smaller size.

So far, I'm really happy with them, and they're easier to fit in a backpack or in my panniers if I'm on foot or bike.

I was hesitant to purchase these at first, because it's almost impossible to find information on women's sizing. I'm a shoe size 8-1/2, so I decided to get the small ones (based on feedback on another review). Turns out the small fins are just right for me, and I enjoy using them very much. The only downside - I wish you could get them in another color combination than grey/green for the small ones.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information