Friday 16 September 2011

Travel Converter - power plug adapter, europe


This is what I learned about european adapters...

We traveled to Berlin, Germany and I had heard mixed things about voltage converters and adapters and what you needed for European travel. I bought these converters as well as a voltage adapter (SIMRAN 200 WATTS STEP DOWN CONVERTER MODEL SMF-200 FOR TRAVELLING OVERSEAS). The converters were perfect because the outlets in all the houses in Berlin were circular and these were a perfect fit. I also discovered (through a lot of research) that most electronics (DVD players, PSP, etc...) have adapters built in to the power cords and if the adapter reads 100 - 240v, than it can be used in Europe with just the converter (no need for the voltage adapter). We brought a dvd player, a PSP, a video camera and a gameboy DS. The only item that required the voltage adapter was the DS. I am not even sure I needed it, but I didn't want to fry it either so I used it to be safe. Hope this helps! This was the information I was desperately searching for before our trip. VCT - PLUG ADAPTER - CONVERTS GROUNDED USA PLUGS TO EUROPE PLUG-GERMAN SHUCKO PLUG (VP 11W)

This is a great little EuroPlug. It takes up very little space in my bag, compared with some of the other more bulky models. This will work fine in many nations, but not the UK. I've used it in Spain, myself. Also not that this JUST allows your device to "fit into the wall". It does NOT adjust the voltage from Europe's 240 to USA's 120. For most electronics, this is just fine, but read your adapter to make sure it can handle 240! I used it on my laptop, iphone and digital camera, without issue. Don't try something like a hairdryer though!

Bought these before moving to Sweden for a long term assignment. They work perfectly. Just be sure the device you use them for is capable of accepting 220v. Most computers, etc have an ac/dc converter that will handle the difference. I've been using it for two weeks with my laptop and have had no problems.

Works great in Germany as long as your device supports 240V input (most laptops do, check the fine print on the power brick just to be sure).



Purchasing the adapter in advance of my trip was a good choice; saved me a few headaches that the other foreign students are now encountering.

I got a bunch of these for my extended European adventure. They seemed to have a nice design. The problem is that they are not build very well, the inside metal parts are very weak and often get out of alignment. Some of them were twisted before I tried to use them, some of them bent the first time a tried to plug in a device. overall about half gave me problems. if you will keep something permanently plugged in, it's not going to be a big issue, but if you will plugging things in and out, it will be. The other (smaller) issue is that they don't actually fit powerstrips that well. I imagined that they would be flush with the top of the strip, but instead they stick out a bit.

With all that, they may be the best deal you can find :)

We recently went to Austria and the Czech Republic, and purchased several of these adapters for the trip. They worked well for recharging cell phones, digital cameras, IPods, and our laptop computer, but we needed a voltage converter set (purchased separately) to operate my wife's hair dryer, curling iron, and kids' Nintendo DS.

I bought three of these for a recent trip to Italy, given the statement that the device "works in Europe". I tried them all in every outlet I could find in Rome, Tuscany, Florence, and Venice, and they DO NOT FIT Italian outlets. The pins are correctly spaced, but the diameter of the pins is too large to fit. Be warned.

Bought a few of these plugs prior to moving to Spain. They fit very well into the socket and have a real nice low profile design. Can't get anything similar to that here locally. I wish I had brought more with me.

This is by far the best adaptor plug I have tried. Best of all is the fit. It fits extremely well and will not relocate itself, like some cheaper adapter plugs, even though you plug in a heavy converter. It will work with grounded as well as non-grounded equipment and outlets. I Have not tried to plug in any British electrical equipment into it, so I wouldn't know about that. - Adapter - Power Plug Adapter - Plug - Europe'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information