Monday 5 September 2011

Travel To New Zealand - hiking, new zealand


I cannot say enough good things about this book. I recently took a three-week tour of NZ with my friend and we were short on time, space and money--but we love adventure and wanted to soak in as much of the country as possible. If you can only bring one guide book with you, this should be it. Scott did an amazing job of packing in so much great information in a really laid-back manner that it was as entertaining as it was helpful. We experienced so many lovely, off-the-beaten-path locations and adventures...want to see thousands of glowworms in a cave by yourself for free? Want to relax on a mountain after a wicked good hike with a view of the ocean? How about tips on where to find hidden hot springs? No problem with this guide book! Scott provides some interesting info regarding the local history and ecology as well, which makes for a very rich and fulfilling experience. The best part about this book: its ability to really immerse you in the landscape and encourage your zest for exploring and experiencing rather than simply looking. Love it!!! Cannot wait for the South Island companion book. NZ FRENZY (North Island New Zealand)

My wife and I recently wrapped up a 5 month trip to NZ. I'd call it the trip of a lifetime except we're ready to do it again! When we arrived in NZ we had one of the usual guide books, but by a stroke of luck ended up with a copy of NZ Frenzy. It changed our trip. While our Footprint guide was helpful for some things, NZ Frenzy became our primary source of information. The North Island of NZ is often overlooked by travelers--a huge mistake in my opinion. NZ Frenzy will give you all of the details on must see spots throughout the island. These are places that will not show up in other books, or places that only locals know about, or places that you would never get close to if you relied on inaccurate and vague information from another book. The level of detail in NZ Frenzy is incredible and useful. If you are interested in getting off the beaten path, swimming in waterfalls, exploring caves, hiking along secluded beaches, etc. this is the one book that you need for a trip to the North Island.

My sister and I (both in our early 60s & not hard core campers)just returned from an amazing three weeks of camping in a van all over the North Island. Scott Cook and his book, NZ Frenzy, were our copilots and they never steered us wrong! 'Captain' Cook, as we sometimes referred to him, had so many options for us that we rarely looked at our other tour book. We wanted to really experience the Island, not just do a drive thru, and NZ Frenzy got us to some of the most amazing spots from the awe inspirng 3 Sisters Beach to the sacred Omahuta Forest Sanctary. We shared this book at every campsite and many Kiwis wrote down the title to explore these wild places in their own land. The great thing about the book is that there is so much detail that you can't find anywhere else, that you never run out of options. Scott's honest comments(we knew from his level of difficulty re hikes what these old legs could handle) and humor helped us make one good choice after another. It almost got to...'Oh, dear, not another beautiful, pristine beach to explore'! Thanks Scott for letting us read your personal 'journal', it's so much more than a 'tour book', for THE BEST vacation ever.

I spent 3 weeks touring the South Island in 2008 and went back in 2009 to spend another 3 weeks on the North Island. Most of my knowledge on what to see came from some pre-trip planning and talking to people in hostels along the way. About 2 weeks into my North Island tour I met Scott at the i-Site in Taupo. I was trying to get info on the Tongariro Crossing and looking at the maps on the wall. Scott and I began talking and he told me I could see most of the good stuff by just doing a one day climb of Mt. Ngauruhoe (Mt. Doom for all you Lord of the Rings fans), and not have to arrange or spend money on the one way bus trip back to the start. This sounded great to me. We talked for a while longer and I was really impressed with this guy's knowledge of things NZ. This was before he told me about "The Book." I flipped through it and thought this is what I want. Nothing fancy with nice paper and high gloss pictures, but rather what you buy a book like this for...THE CONTENT. Just black & white photos, short notes, and hand sketches. More of a journal by a well experienced traveler. Its not just that he tells you the things to see that most people don't know about, but he tells you how to see them to maximize your experience. I used NZ Frenzy for the sites around Taupo & Rotorua for several days until we had to head home. I was able to pack so many more really cool things into a limited time using his book. Of course, the bad thing was, going through the book and seeing the things I missed along the way the two previous weeks. NZ Frenzy is "The Book" to use for the North Island. Forget the rest, well... unless you have to see nice glossy color photos and maps in your guide. I'd rather see things through my own eyes. - Hiking - New Zealand - Camping - Travelling To New Zealand'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information