Friday 23 September 2011

Upholstery Staplers - upholstery staplers, porter-cable


Light and effective. It does its job as well as I could have hoped. Not a single jam that was not obviously my fault. I have spent several times the cost of this tool looking for a stapler that would do what this one does as well as it does. Why the enthusiasm? Well, most staplers not meant for construction site abuse are not very good. This one is.A word of caution. This is not, nor was it ever intended to be, a construction stapler. The staples it is designed to use are not big enough nor thick enough to be of much use for construction site purposes. This is a professional grade upholstery stapler. Porter-Cable US58 1/4-Inch to 5/8-Inch 22-Gauge C-Crown Upholstery Stapler

This gun is very comparable to other industrial upholstery staplers in features, design and quality, but it is considerably less expensive.



Since this is an upholstery stapler you can get staples from any upholstery supply shop. A hardware store will not carry them. When you go to your local upholstery supply shop ask for staples compatible with Empire 7, BeA 71, Bostitch BA71, JK 670, Rainco 7, or Senco C series staplers. Amazon's price for replacement staples is good considering they are galvanized, but you can get liquor finish staples cheaper at your local store. Many will carry stainless steel staples as well.



This stapler does not come with a case because it is an industrial tool. Upholstery shops do not bother putting their tools in boxes at the end of the day. Also upholstery shops don't make a lot of saw dust, at least not in the fabric part of the shop. For those using this stapler in a general purpose shop, a case would be nice but, as mentioned, one is not provided. The parts list mentions an optionally available case which can be purchased from your local factory service center for less than ten bucks.

I bought this stapler to re-cover the vinyl pillions and seats on my boat. And, approximately 8,000 staples later, I can say with certainty that it is definitely the ideal tool for any type of upholstery work. It's light, easy to hold, has an extended nose to get into tight spaces, and is powerful enough to completely sink the staple through several layers of fabric, even into hardwood. It's also extremely easy to re-load, and I've never experienced any type of jam or mis-fire. Construction is typical Porter-Cable (my personal favorite brand), meaning it appears to be built super tough--I expect it to last a lifetime.So then, why only 4 stars? Unlike any other pneumatic 'nail gun' I've seen, this stapler does not have a safety tipped nose. Usually, the nose has to be pressed against something in order for the trigger to be functional. But, with this one, there is no safety tip--you just pull the trigger and it starts firing. Add to that the fact that the trigger is very sensitive, and you have a potential safety hazard.. In normal operation, these two things make it easier to get the job done, but at too high of a cost to safety (in my opinion). You might be guessing that I am trying to blame the tool for a goof up, and you'd be right. I ended up shooting myself in the index finger with this stapler. It was not a major ordeal, it just hurt for a few days, but I realize now that normal nail guns have those safety tips for a good reason. Buy the stapler, but be careful!

This Porter Cable upholstery stapler is as comfortable to use, as it is to buy; great price point. I did buy it with the intention of using it for attaching fabric to seat bottoms, and I have some early French provincial furniture that will need reupholstering. What I found was that it is usable for a lot of other things as well. I make cabinetry. In order to transport the finish pieces, I use the single sided corrugated cardboard, which is inexpensive to wrap it. These staples work great to attach the cardboard to the back seam of the cabinet. This stapler will take up to 5/8" staples. I didn't find them here at Amazon so I bought up to the 1/2" size. They are wider than the narrow crown staples. The stapler fires well without any misfires since I have been using it. It doesn't have a safety plunge mechanism, as do the finish nailers. That enables you to get into tight corners whereas the tip is a lot smaller. The only downside is that it does not come with a case, and I did not find staples for it available locally. All in all it is a very nice tool. Highly recommended.

I bought this stapler with the intention of using it to hang faced insulation. I wasn't sure if it would do the job or not but I figured I'd give it a shot. I was not disappointed. It has worked flawlessly through several thousand staples. As others have mentioned, the staples are not very thick, even smaller than standard T-50 staples, but for something like insulation where it's going to be covered up anyways, the staples work just fine. Plus, because they are thinner, it means more staples per strip and thus fewer reloads. The extended nose made it easy to get into tight corners that other staplers wouldn't have been able to. A bump-fire trigger would have made it even better, but I guess since it is technically an upholstery stapler that probably wouldn't make much sense. The only downfall I can see is that I couldn't find staples for it at any local hardware store, had to order them from here. With free shipping, though, that wasn't a big deal.

This upholstery stapler is very responsive and it works very well. It is very light, and yet its construction is very solid. The only thing missing is a hard case (which is optional). Do not forget to buy staples, because it does not ship with any. Great for all upholstery jobs. You will not be disappointed.

Nice stapler. Very easy to use, compact and heavy duty. No depth adjustment collar or thumbscrew to fiddle with, just change your air pressure setting and keep on going. Securing thick, heavyweight upholstery material onto hard wood furniture frames repetitively is a breeze.

Assuming that you already own a small portable compressor, and don't mind dealing with the air hose, I personally feel that the US58 is a better and much less expensive alternative to a true professional grade electric upholstery stapler and with only minimal care, will probably last much longer.

For some reason, there is no carrying case included with this stapler. I was able to purchase one though, through the Dewalt/Porter-Cable service net website for about eleven dollars plus freight [Part #891602]. It is just a small case similar to the one that came with my PIN-100 pinner, but it definitely makes it much easier to transport and store this tool along with maybe a dozen or so assorted sizes of staple strips.

The B&C Eagle staples that are sold here on Amazon are good quality, but I find that the Porter-Cable brand staples sold elsewhere are every bit as good and are also less than half the price for the same ten thousand count boxes.

Overall, I really like this PC stapler and have no problem recommending it to anyone who is looking to purchase this type of tool. - Pneumatic - Upholstery - Upholstery Staplers - Porter-cable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information