Saturday 24 September 2011

Usb Network Adapter - usb wireless adapter, usb network adapter


I had a customer's internal wireless card fail, and found this easier and cheaper. The size is as people say- right about the size of a quarter, and it sticks out of the USB port by less than half a centimeter. This is FAR less annoying to deal with than a typical USB flash drive size adapter or a PC card adapter that sticks out and can get snapped off easily by just one careless bump.



Installation was normal- installed it on a low-end Compaq laptop running 2GB RAM and Windows 7 Ultimate. Put it in the USB port, popped the CD in when Windows asked for a driver and it did it's thing.



The reviewer that reported a poor speed hopefully got one from a bad batch, because mine was right at 150Mbps when one wall away, and fluctuated between 54-105 when three walls away. Throughput was a steady 20Mbps or more [this is file transfer speed, etc., a different spec than connection speed]. I was completely satisfied and do was my client. I just ordered another for a Sony laptop with Windows XP, I'll post another review or edit this one later on. AirLink101 AWLL5088 Wireless N 150 Ultra Mini USB Adapter

The AirLink101 adapter is probably the smallest wireless-N capable USB adapter you will find. It's small size is ideal for laptop and desktop computers alike, as it doesn't stick out and risk being broken.



First off, the driver that comes with the USB adapter SUCKS. The two adapters I purchased were both used on Windows 7 x64 desktops. While Windows 7 easily detected the device and installed drivers for it, the stock drivers made for a very difficult time getting a reliable connection to the network. The drivers found on the included CD were no better.



Turns out you need to download the RealTek drivers for the 802.11b/g/n Single Chip RTL8188CE chipset from RealTek's website, as this AirLink adapter uses the RealTek chipset. Once I installed that driver on both desktop computers, my signal strength was much higher and did not drop a connection. Surfing the net was every bit as fast as my wireless-G connections (as expected), and intranet transfers were very quick.



I imagine that many reviewers who gave bad reviews for this adapter did not attempt to update the drivers for it. To really give this adapter a fair shake, do yourself a favor and use the RealTek drivers to avoid headaches or unneeded returns. I'm using this adapter with an Asus RT-N16 router--one computer is about 40 feet away about two rooms away, and the other computer is upstairs on the other side of the house, both with no signal issues.



So far this is 5-star wireless-N adapter... my only knock is that I just wish the included drivers were a little better.

I bought this to go with my new wireless N router. I was kind of bummed they do not make one which can handle the full speed of wireless n, but i figured half the speed would be a great improvement, plus the range increase would also be nice. i just opened it today and it is really really small. plugged it in and win 7 installed some generic driver before i could stop it, but it did not make a difference. followed the directions which came with the adapter and in about 5-10 minutes, i was connected. a few small items to take note of. you can use the win 7 wireless tool to connect to networks, however, whenever my computer shut off, went to sleep, etc, it would not auto connect (even though i told it to). turns out you have to use the airlink tool which gets installed to create a profile and then set that profile as the default profile. then, whenever you restart, turn on, wake it up, etc, it will auto connect without any issues (though the airlink tool does pop up every time).



the transmission speed works best when the router is set for full wireless n mode (some routers have a mixed mode). it connected in this mode, but the speed was half its max. setting the router to full wireless n resulted in full speed on the adapter side. other than that, it really works great. our internal connection to our network drive is much faster (transferred a 600MB movie in about 2.5 min, which used to take 5-6 min. the range has also improved (through 2 walls, i was still at 80% strength and 120 speed).



would def recommend.

Installation on my Thinkpad X61 running Windows XP was automatic -- XP found compatible drivers online (via my wired connection) immediately and I was up and running 802.11/n wireless within about 45 seconds. My real delight was in discovering that I was able to negotiate a 65mbps airlink with my Airport Extreme base station, and I was able to sustain that connection speed at the other end of my (large) home on another floor. I never expected a device so tiny to have such great range -- not with an antenna that must fit within 1/4" of plastic. But it actually has better range than the internal 802.11/n on my (new) Macbook Pro.



I'm almost tempted to buy up a few more of these just to have on hand and offer as adorable little gifts to friends. Impressive performance, inexpensive, and simply adorable. Seems like a technology no-brainers. - Usb Wireless Adapter - 80211n - Usb Network Adapter - Wireless Adapter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information