Wednesday 21 September 2011

Vehicle Backup Cameras - rear camera, car camera


Item arrived with all specified parts and in working order (including the drill bit)



Installation is a little time consuming, so don't take this on if it's your first try at car audio / video. Unfortunately there were no instructions, and wires on the harness from the camera were unlabeled but luckily they were easy to figure out.



The video out line is easy to spot as its the industry standard yellow RCA cable (17' extension included)

The positive voltage that powers the camera is the wire that has the fuse in it (this line connects to the white back-up light in your tail lights and powers the camera)

The remaining line is the ground and can be attached to almost any bare metal on vehicle, I usually choose a screw somewhere close.



The cables included are long, but you may need to an extension for the power wire (to tell the receiver when to turn on the rear view monitor). I chose to extend the wire from the tail light so the video camera and the receiver got the same signal.



The top of the camera is not noted, so you'll have to adjust it after installation.



The camera automatically adjusts between regular and IR mode and the LED's around the lens will not light up. You'll know when it's in IR mode as the picture will change from color to B&W.



The field of view is a little constricted compared to many cameras, but its enough for me (I can't see the corners of the vehicle, but can see behind me). PYLE PLCM22IR Flush Mount Rear View Camera with 0.5 Lux Night Vision

I'd installed the camera in my Jeep Grand Cherokee with Pioneer 5600 DVD. The Installation was not simple, since I had to add extra video cable (the power cable is longer). As I noticed in other review, the hole saw that was supposed to come included in the kit was missing so I had to buy another one to be able to make the proper hole. The camera is water and dust resistant, and has a clear night vision, but since it has no angular lens (peep hole type) it doesn't cover both ends of the bumper and right there you miss the whole point of having a rear view camera. Just because of that, I would suggest further research of other similar products.

Overall this seems like a very good camera. The quality seems good and so far has not had any issues due to weather like previous cameras. I didn't want to drill a hole in the body of my truck to accommodate this camera so I installed it into a plastic housing under the bumper. It gets a good view, but surprisingly it can't actually see to the corners of the vehicle. The viewing angle of the camera almost makes it, but objects have to be 3-4 feet away (behind) the corners in order for the camera to pick them up. In the worst case, if something were right at the bumper on either side but just out of view of the side mirrors, you wouldn't be able to see it and could hit it. Other than this, if you're starting out somewhere that you know to be clear, then you're OK and can use your mirrors and camera to make it all work. The image quality is quite good, and at night can see well too.

item was delivered on time but something was missing in the delivery. Specifically the hole saw that was suppose to be included was not there. in addition the instructionmanunal was also not there sometimes making me think wheter the item i bought was brand new or not

I bought this rear view camera to be used on my Pioneer Car AVHP4000DVD Double Din AV Multimedia Receiver that I have on my Lancer 2008.



The camera images look GREAT, it also has infrared sensors for an AMAZING night vision, you don't even need your reverse lights to be turned on to see in complete darkeness, I can ASSURE you that.



It is waterproof, and this feature I did test it already, since it rains a lot in my country and haven't had a single problem with the camera.

I purchased this camera intending to put this on the front or rear of my car for an in-cab DVR. Therefore; I was intending to make adjustments to the camera if I needed to so I was planning on opening the case if I had to.



What I found when I received the camera was a pit-specked lens. I tried to wipe what I thought was dust off of the lens but I found the pits to be inside - So I took the camera apart and what I found was that the rear of the camera is probably more water-proof than the front lens portion.



I uploaded several images one showing the front O-ring is too big for the groove where it is supposed to sit (the picture with the yellow arrow). One side of the ring is supposed to sit in the O-ring groove and the other against the outer lens glass. When I opened the camera I have, the O-ring was pinched and hanging over the groove and potentially susceptible to leaking. Since I had not mounted the camera yet, obviously I fixed the O-ring problem. Also, since I decided to mount this camera on the front, I disconnected the IR LED's.



Applying this observation may lead to the conclusion that a portion of these cameras will get water inside them because of incorrect O-ring sizing. If a water-proof camera is important to you you should check yours.



Other than that the camera works and seems to have a very good picture - BTW: I polished the front window glass on mine and was able to remove almost all of the pits. Maybe these should be sold as "camera kits".

I use two of these cameras on my car in place of my side view mirrors. They work well during the day, but have trouble if the sun is shining into them. The night vision mode only works for a few feet behind the vehicle, after that you're out of luck. Also, if dirt, snow or rain gets on the lens, the camera will focus on it and will basically wash out the rest of the image. So make sure you mount the cameras in a location on your vehicle that will be less likely to get dirty or wet. - Backup Camera - Car Camera - Rear Camera - Vehicle Backup Cameras'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information