Sunday 18 September 2011

Waterpik Wp-60 Personal Dental Water Jet... - oral hygiene, oral irrigator


I've been using a Waterpik for several decades now, and while the effectiveness of the product -- excellent for oral irrigation and toughening the gums -- has been consistent, the design and quality of the product have faltered. My first Waterpik, purchased in the early 1970s for sensitive gums on the recommendation of my dentist, lasted far longer than my more recent purchases. Sometimes the motor gives out, and sometimes the hose gives out.



That said, no product lasts forever. But what really annoys me is the design of the current product. First of all, instead of two "picks," Waterpik now gives you one "pick" and a "tongue cleaner." And when you attempt to purchase replacement picks, you must buy them with the tongue cleaner as well. Furthermore, the design of the current model is too big and bulky, not neat and compact as it once was. And lastly, the only way you can close the Waterpik is by removing the pick every time; the top will not fit over the bottom otherwise.



Bottom line: It is still a good product, but it becomes increasingly inconvenient with each new iteration, and I think the market is ripe for the competition.



Update May 2008: This Waterpik finally went the way of all moving devices (the cable from the implement broke), and I purchased the newer "Ultra" model. Many of the inconveniences of the "Personal" model have been eliminated in the Ultra: The Ultra has a much smaller footprint, the jet is positioned better, and it has a top to cover the reservoir when not in use. Even though it is about 50% more in cost, it is worth it to me (despite the blue reservoir, which doesn't match any of my countertop accessories).

I recently purchased this item and am very pleased. I am a person who HATES to floss. After twenty something years of irregular flossing habits, I decided that I needed to do something. I read many reviews about WaterPiks, the Conair model, and a few others. I decided that this would be the best choice.The Good:Provides a very clean feeling.Does not hurt.Easy to use.Attractive.Quality Design.It holds a lot of water.You can mix mouthwash with the water.The Bad:Surprisingly Loud.The coiled tube gets twisted and can be annoying to correct.The "pause" button should be a "go" button.All in all, I am happy with my purchase. I recommend this product.--Note: My mother was a dental hygienist for twenty years. After I purchased this product she informed me that people who overuse waterpiks can cause unwanted damage. Gums form a natural V in between the teeth, and excessive use can cause that tissue to recess. The key word is excessive. Use the product no more than two times a day.

Look at the photo carefully. See the tub up on top where the water goes? It's not attached permanently. It just kind of wobbles up there with a small gasket around the hole in the bottom where the water is fed into the motor. In other words, if you were to remove or bump the tub while it has water in it, it will spill over everything. Also, you can't leave any water in it and place the mouth piece in its holder or set it on your counter for a moment, as it begins to slowly drain water if it's not held higher than the level of the water--a syphoning effect occours.The tube that extends from the unit to the mouthpiece is cheap and way too short (hardly 3 feet) and it's so strongly coiled it ends up hardly being able to reach 2 feet.The motor is very loud and sounds like an old rusty boat motor and shakes itself around my counter. (I learned setting it on a towell helps to immobilize it, and quiet it a bit, which is good because I'll also have a towell ready in case I bump into the tub.)Why then do I use it? Well, because it actually works! Once I mastered the art of using this half-baked contraption, I found my mouth, teeth, and gums are cleaner than ever. The stream of water it puts out is very powerfull and "Piks" up where brushing and flossing leave off. I'd gladly buy a better brand if one existed, but to my knowledge, WaterPik are the only ones making such a machine. I think that explains why WaterPik has cut so many corners making this thing--no competition! No one else wants to make them.

I hesitated before purchasing this, just because of the unsatisfied comments others have made. But let me tell you, I now understand why they all made those comments and can say with conviction, THIS PRODUCT IS GREAT! I also experienced water leakage and no water pumping through. Both are simple fixes.



To prevent the water leaking, PROPERLY and FIRMLY place the reservior onto the unit. Doing so creates a seal and it wont leak. If it does, it wasnt placed on properly. Try it again, you will eventually get the hang of it. I only had 'leaks' the first couple days.



As for it not pumping any water when it is turned on, you just need to read the instructions. It says you need to PRIME it by removing the pic, placing the hose lower than the reservior, setting it to maximum, and turning it on until water runs through. This isnt a one time thing. You need to do this each night you use it; by doing so, it will work fine. If you dont, then water wont pump through until you PRIME it again. It only adds a few seconds to your routine, but nothing to be complaining to the company about.



The unit is a little noisy, but again, not enough to complain about, unless someone is trying to sleep.



It works great. I've had mine for about 6 months now, using it nightly, and other than getting oriented to a new product, I haven't had any problems with it. - Water Pick - Oral Irrigator - Oral Hygiene - Waterpik'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information