Thursday 22 September 2011

42 Inch - 720p, panasonic plasma


Disclaimer: This is all personal opinion.



There was Beta vs VHS...

There is Mac vs Windows...

And there is Plasma vs LCD/LED...



Like Beta and Mac, Plasma is the higher quality technology. Like VHS and Windows, LCD/LED is the user-friendly norm. To each his/her own.



I prefer Plasma.



PROS:

Less pixelation, faster refresh rate, less action-blur, 30 yrs life at 8 hours a day viewing, "image burn-in" almost nonexistent in newer models (would require MAJOR user-negligence, and it's a temporary effect anyway), on the average the sound quality is better/resonance, a more durable screen surface (better for people with pets who throw toys around and children who might push at the screen---ask your local dealer to knock his knuckles against a plasma screen and an LCD one, he won't knock on the LCD screen!), and unlike Macs though..."plasmas" are also the better technology BUT at the cheaper price. Life usually isn't that kind! The better product for the better price:-) Take advantage of it!



NEUTRALS:

Some might see the "higher quality but cheaper price" is a precursor to a technology that is being phased out of service (like the Beta tapes, or even Toshiba's HD-DVDs that eventually lost to Sony's Blu-Ray). That's understandable! But keep in mind, to my knowledge there are no LCD tv's beyond 65" as the technology can't support it. Those "enormo-screens" like Jerry Jones' "Everything is Bigger in Texas" boob tubes are Plasmas! Plasmas aren't going away...



CONS:

Glare. Period. It IS an issue! The only issue. Personally, I think LCDs show their fair share of washed-out, hazy-glare at various angles anyway, but they still reign supreme in high light. Being a former glass-screen, tube-tv viewer...I don't find it any worse, but the "glare is there" so to speak. Can be "mirror-like" in the very worst cases. Blinds can solve the problem and setting the tv at a height of 4' or higher in room makes most sitting-angles, couches/tablechairs fine from window light. Still, it IS an issue.



"Plasma tvs run at a hot temperature and drain more energy." That's kind of out-dated. And the energy-draw is probably like $2 more a month. (Interesting sidenote...when choosing between the Panasonic and the Samsung, noticed the Samsung plasma screen felt rather warm whereas the Panasonic felt room temp.)



CLOSING STATEMENT: Panasonic is/has been Plasma-industry leader since day 1...they've always focused on plasmas unlike Samsung, LG etc (not saying they're bad). Despite selling HDTV's a few years ago at a major chain, I just got my first HDTV a few weeks ago! Couldn't afford one until now. Always kept my eye on the Panasonic plasmas though and the Panasonic TC-P42X3 was worth the wait. I sit (using the old walking-foot count) ~12' away from my tv in an apartment living room w/ 2 larger windows. I'll take the better picture with some "glare-issues" in the morning then the lower quality picture with "little glare" issues anyday!



ANY HDtv is better than the old CRTs (even though I loved them--"pixelation"?!? Who ever heard of "pixelation"?!!!), but I must confess this is a really good tv. I debated b/w a 1080p 32" LCD and a 42" 720p Pan plasma. Wanted great picture. Was afraid I was sitting too close to a 42" at 12'. Not so. An old worker-associate steered me back in the right direction that was my gut instinct to begin with...a 42" Panasonic Viera Plasma! Alvin at hhGregg, Dayton Ohio (sorry Amazon)! His commission was a pittance but his advice priceless.



Hope this review helped... Panasonic VIERA TC-P42X3 42-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV

I just got a new X3 for a great price, and here's my experience.



As a TV the X3 is excellent. I have it connected to a roof antenna, and the reception is excellent. It has a very good picture on hd broadcasts, and good also on sd broadcasts. The sound is good for a TV. The remote is a good size and easy to use. I could wish for a dedicated sleep-timer button, I suppose, but it's still a well-designed remote. Given that the current price on the 42" X3 is comparable to a non-network TV, just for these virtues this set represents a great buy.



If you want a wifi connection, you'll need a usb network adapter and there are apparently only two choices--the panasonic model DY-WL10 (~$90) or the cheaper Netgear WNDA3100 v2. There is some confusion about the Netgear, since it has to be the v2 and the serial number has to start with 2D4 or 20A (actually, it's really hard to tell the difference between these two sequences when the print is that small--maybe they're actually the same). These are sometimes identified on the package as being compatible with panasonic TVs. There is no particular reason to think the panasonic adapter is better than the netgear. I got both accidentally: the panasonic adapter can be easier to find, but I also found a used netgear on amazon without much difficulty for ~$20.



But my experience trying to get a wifi connection has been frustrating, mainly because of a problem with my dsl modem/router. The setup procedure is simple and straightforward. But I had difficulties and worked through the procedure with a cs rep on the phone with no success. I am glad to report that the cs rep was patient and helpful, even though he couldn't solve my problem.



Subsequently it became clear that my old modem/router was causing the trouble. It used the older "G" wifi protocol, but it was also prone to dropping the internet connection. So I needed to replace it in any event. Anyway, I got the latest "N" protocol modem/router compatible with my ISP. As soon as I set it up, the tv recognised the router's wifi signal with either the netgear or the panasonic wireless usb adapter. The reception of streaming videos is flawless--excellent picture and sound quality.



Another option not quite as elegant as the tiny usb adapter is to configure a second wifi router to serve as a bridge. That would give you an ethernet connection you can place next to the TV, and as a bonus extend the range of your wifi throughout your house. There are lots of guides for how to do this online.



Anyway, the result of all of this is that I've changed my rating to 5 stars for a truly excellent tv. Second, I'm returning the panasonic wireless adapter. The netgear works perfectly for less than a quarter of the price.



I couldn't be happier with this tv now. But I would recommend making sure your router uses the "N" protocol. I'm not certain that this matters, but I haven't had any problems since I switched my router.



Updated 3/26/2011 - Viera - Panasonic Plasma - 720p'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information