Saturday 10 September 2011

47 Inch


I have had this TV for only a few days, but it appears to be exactly what I wanted. The LK520 LG model is very similar to the earlier model LD520 (highly rated), except that the dynamic contrast is apparently a bit better for the LK520(150K to 1 vs 100K), but I suspect that may not be that significant.



INPUT-OUTPUT

It has sufficient inputs (HDMI, component, etc), and outputs, although I still wish these new HDTVs had a regular stereo output (ie., 2 RF outputs) so I could use them with my old amplifier. The LK520 only has 1 optical digital audio output. However, the sound from the LK520 speakers is surprisingly robust, although most will probably want more to complete the home theater experience. The LK520 also has a USB port, but I have not used this yet. The specs say you can connect your external USB devices for JPEG photos or MP3 files. (Note, this model does NOT have any internet connection capabilities--however you could hook this up to a BluRay DVD player that has this capability, if you want it).



I hooked up my cable box via an HDMI cord, and the LK520 provides a clear HD picture and does well with regular SD channels also. I hooked up the TV with component inputs from my oldish DVD player, and it looked very good. (Some day I will get a BluRay, so I can see more pores, I guess, on close ups...).



FEATURES

The LK520 has 120 Hz, so if you watch a lot of sports, this might be important (I don't). So maybe the 60 Hz LG LK450 might be OK for you, and save you 60-80$. However, note that the LK520 has a slightly higher dynamic contrast compared to the 60 Hz 42 inch LG LK450 (150K vs 100K).



The weight is only about 35 lbs, so it is relatively easy (if a bit awkward) to carry around. Also, the screen does not seem to have any serious reflection problems in stronger lighting situations.



The TV picture can be adjusted to your preferences, but I found the default settings good enough for me. It is Energy Star rated, which is good, but I found the "intelligent sensor" adjustments a bit too dark for me. However, you can adjust this as your wish.



SUMMARY: I don't think you can go wrong with this excellent LG HDTV. I would rate it at 4.5 stars. Some minor limitations on audio output and the somewhat high price that I paid at a big box store (BB) made me give it a 4 instead of 5.



I may update this if I find any problems later.... LG 47LK520 47-Inch 1080p LCD TV - Black

I previously bought an LG 42LD550, used it for a few months and was quite happy with its quality, but the 42" screen size was a little too small for my living room, so I decided to get a bigger TV instead. The LD550 has better features than the LK520 -- its internet application was one thing that attracted me, but it requires an adapter which doesn't come with the TV, so I never got to test it. I guess I don't need this feature anyway, so I returned it and bought the 47" LK520, at the same price --- it was on sale on Amazon for about 7 hundred.



The shipping:



This model came out in March 2011, and I placed the order in April. I guess because it is relatively new, so I had to wait 4-6 weeks for the product to be shipped.



So after waiting patiently for over one month, my TV finally came. I was expecting the guys from the shipping company to open the box and let me check the TV, just like what they did when I bought the other LG model. I was surprised when they told me they couldn't open the box, and that I should open it on my own, and keep the box for a year in case I need to return it. This sounds a little weird, but I signed the delivery sheet anyway.



The assembling:



It only took a few minutes to assemble this TV. My brother and I laid the panel on my sofa bed with the screen facing down, and secured the base/stand with a few screws. It looks like the stand was made of some cheap plastic. I hope it's more sturdy than it looks.



The look:



This TV has a simple, sophisticate design. I like the matt screen and the glossy black frame. There's a small blue light on the lower right corner when the TV is on. Althought the remote control is easy to use, the design looks boring and cheap, some buttons/features seem like a duplicate to me. But I guess it's not a big deal, as long as it works.



Sound quality:



There are several sound modes you can choose from. It was set to "standard" by default, and the volume was low, but it was much better once I switched it to "music" or "cimema". I also turned on the "surround sound" feature. Over all I am happy with the sound quality.



Picture quality:



I've had this TV for about two weeks now, at first I was impressed with the picture quality -- it's crisp and clear, and the color looks very nice, just like the LD550 model. I set the picture mode to "Cinema" --the "standard" mode is a bit too bright for my sensitive eyes. Of course you can create and save your own picture mode by adjusting the brightness, color, and contrast, etc. But one day I noticed the brightness on the TV screen changed suddenly --- it went darker, then after a while it went bright again (looks similar to when there are rolling clouds in the sky on a sunny day). I didn't turn on the "inteligent sensor" and I think the lighting in my room didn't change. I did not have this problem with the LD550 model. I am not sure if I got a defective item or what. Right now I give this TV a 4 star, and hoping there's an easy fix for the brightness problem. I'll test it for a few more days and decide whether I should call LG, or return it....



*** UPDATE: I found out the reason that my TV would suddenly go darker is because I had the "Engergy Saver" on (it was set to "Auto"). So whenever the sensor in the TV detects a change of lighting in the room, it'll adjust the screen brightness automatically. Sometimes the screen goes so dark I can hardly see. I am not sure how much energy it can save by doing this, but I find it annoying to me, so I turned the feature off, and the problem solved! I am glad I don't have to return this TV. I am happy with my purchase so far.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information