Sunday 18 September 2011

Alternative - corded rotary tools, dremel


I personally own Proxxon 38481 IB/E Professional Rotary Tool. [That model is slightly more expensive--a bit more professional-looking--and it comes with collets instead of a keyless chuck.]



This model, the one I am reviewing, Proxxon 38472 FBS 115/E Precision Rotary Tool, was bought as a gift; however, I couldn't help but take it out and compare it to the Proxxon model that I already own. The two models use the identical motor with the identical analog variable control wheel and so performance is nearly identical. As far as I can tell, the only difference is aesthetics. That, and chucks get worn out over time, increasing play; also, collets are easier to change attachments if they're all the same size... Then again, you can get a new keyless chuck for $10, or you could buy MICROMOT collets for this model for $20.



In short, the hobbyist or tinkerer will notice little difference between this "precision" model and Proxxon's "professional" one.





PS

They are both far superior to anything Dremel makes--and the all-new Dremel 4000 is plastic crap. Proxxon 38472 FBS 115/E Precision Rotary Tool

I originally bought a Dremel at my local big box store. I opened it and noticed how the plastic and rubber grips were sloppily molded with surfaces that were not smooth where they should have been. I turned it on and found that it would not even begin to spin until I turned the speed control up to about halfway. When it did start spinning, it was not a smooth rotation until I turned it up even more. So I was disappointed with my purchase and decided to look around for alternative brands.



I am very impressed with this Proxxon tool. For only a few dollars more than the Dremel, this tool looks and feels like the parts were produced on a quality mold. Everything has a nice fit and finish. The drive spins smoothly throughout the entire speed range just as I would expect. I am very happy I decided to upgrade to this brand.

After reading the reviews I decided to buy a Proxxon instead of a Dremel,and could not be happier.The price difference is minimal and you can use all of the same attachments.It runs very smooth,the difference was quite noticeable.

I've only used the Proxxon rotary tool a couple of times. It runs well and seems to be very well built. It has a nice long cord and the chuck is a lot nicer than using collets. It is also runs a lot smoother and is a lot quiter than my old dremel. Overall, I think this will be a very good tool.

I originally purchased this not because I thought my Dremel was inadaquate or that this would somehow be better, I purchased it because Proxxon's drill press is far superior to the one made by Dremel. However, now that I have it, I never use my Dremel for anything anymore. The Proxxon isn't necesarilly any more powerful, but it is dramatically quieter and somewhat easier to handle than my Dremel. It even uses all my old Dremel bits. The price is comparable to a similar model Dremel. Unless you want a drill press, I wouldn't go throwing out your old Dremel, but if you are in the market for something new, Proxxon is the way to go.

I bought this to replace a failed Dremmel. This is step up in quality. Very smooth in operation and powerful. The grips are comfortable and the controls, once you get used to them, are easy to operate during usage.

* The motor is quiet even at 20,000 rpm. The sound reminds me of a small electric mixer - the ones that whir rather than scream.

* Little to no vibration when running idle - absolutely none when drilling. When cutting, it depends on the disk/burr.

* If you're using rpm rating for comparison, consider that that's *idle* speed - when Dremel says a tool goes to 35,000, it means nothing about its behavior under load.



BTW, my first test for my new toy was drilling a 1/8" hole in the metal bracket of a PC add-on card (3/64" thick), and it slid through as soon as I applied a bit of pressure.

I have previously owned a Dremel and frankly it seems like a childs toy compared to the quality, performance and accuracy of this Proxxon.



The continuously variable speed adjustment is very good. The tool has a lot of power available.



Comes in a durable plastic case which has some room for tools and bits but would be useful if it could store more.



My only slight negative feeling is that the chuck doesn't always grip as well as I'd like. However, I think I'm reaching for this on routing jobs that really ought to be done with much bigger tools (but the Proxxon still does the work effortlessly).



I also purchased the Proxxon drill stand which seems of similar high quality but I haven't got round to using the stand yet.



No regrets at all with this purchase.

This tool is great! It is very sturdy and reliable. I've used it on stainless steel, terracotta, polystyrene and wood and haven't had any problems. I actually use a Dremel grinding kit with my Proxxon tool and it works perfectly. A lot of dust and debris from materials I've used this on has gotten near or in the vents by the front grip, but it runs like the day I bought it. - Rotary Tool - Dremel - Crafts - Corded Rotary Tools'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information