Monday 5 September 2011

Baby Proofing - baby proofing, safety


The flat TV Lock did not work on my tv. The description says it's VESA compatible, but it does not specify that it is VESA 200mm, 400mm, 600mm, 800mm (which is the distance between the two holes on the back of the tv where the lock would be installed). My Sony TV, 46in, Bravia XRB5 is 300mm VESA... so it does not work. It probably would have been perfect. I had to return it. Safety 1st Prograde Flat Screen TV Lock

I purchased this product yesterday at Babies R Us to anchor our new Samsung 50" Plasma. Looks great out of the box, and I follow the directions to quickly assemble the crossbar that goes across the back of the TV. First, the good news - the screws included fit the VESA holes on my Plasma! The bad news: the holes I need to use on the crossbar are TOO SMALL!! At first I was ready to go back to the store and return this thing, but it looked like it would meet our needs so well that I decided to think outside the box. I found a drill bit that looked to be just about the size of the screws I needed, opened up the holes I needed in the crossbar (took 2 minutes total), and VOILA!! I had the right screws, the right size holes, and the crossbar was tightly and securely affixed to the back of my Plasma!



With that hurdle overcome, I proceeded to install the bracket to the stud on the wall. Here is where the product finally shines: Although the stud was a few inches off center, the included brackets and hinges for the mount have so many swivel points and extensions that I was able to not only safely affix the crossbar to the rod and the wall, it didn't affect my Samsung's swivel base at all! So now my Plasma's stand still has a full range of motion, but I don't have to worry about my adventurous kids pulling my brand new TV onto the floor.



This is a fantastic product in every way but with their hole placements. Once they get that part of the engineering figured out (multiple sets of brackets), I would imagine the reviews will get much better. In the meantime, the hole sizing is what kept me from giving this thing 5 stars, but other than that, it works beautifully.

The holes on my Samsung 50" TV were the right distance apart for this but the diameter of the mounts were too big for the corresponding bolt holes on the crossbar. Eventually had to mount the bracket on the rear of the TV as a diagonal still works well but not something I wanted to do. Having said that I don't have any qualms about recommending this product as it certainly appears to be more than robust enough for the job.

Product worked as advertized. Fits our new Sharp 60"Led/Lcd TV out of the box. Approximately 10 minutes start to finish.



We have 5 kids (8-17) that are very active. We bought this tv lock just as a safety precaution so the kids dont knock it off the stand. So far so good!

Although I have some complaints, I don't think it is necessarily the products problems; I have a feeling the manufacturer could compensate however, which is why I gave it a 4 out of 5. I have a Samsung plasma (pn51d7000) which uses 400mm VESA spacing but requires what I assume to be an 800mm VESA standard bolt because the bolts my TV needed did not fit into the holes used for mounting this device. Based on other reviews I have read, I decided to widen the holes with my drill. Once I did this, however, I found that because of the size bolts needed, I could not attach this unit to the TV because the holes on the mounting bracket were slightly too wide apart. To overcome this problem I used my drill to widened the holes ever so slightly by pressing the drill bit to one side of the already widened hole. After a few attempts the mounting bracket went on smoothly and I was able to finish the rest of the installation with no problems. Now that it is installed, as near as I can tell it works perfectly (I would prefer not to have an earthquake or child put it to the ultimate test!) and feel much less concern for the safety of the tv or my children.



I don't know if this problem effects all of Samsung's TVs but I would assume they use similar mounting standards on all of their television sets. The product does work as advertised but it might require a bit of ingenuity to get it to mount properly. All told, between running to the hardware store and doing the actual work it probably took me a little over an hour or so.

With larger TVs that have 8mm bolt holes separated at a distance of 200mm, this product will not work without physical modification. Yes, it's easy enough to drill a slightly larger hole at the corresponding distance but I shouldn't have to physically modify a product that's advertised as fitting major brands of TVs 32-60 inches. If you're fine with knowing that going it, by all means buy this because it works but for misleading advertising, I give it 2 stars.

This is exactly what we needed for our tv. We didn't want a wall mount, but needed something to satbilize it around the kids and pets. We can move the tv to a different angle if need be, but it won't go anywhere. It works with our 46". However, the tv can wobble a bit, so if that would make you nervous, try something else.

I have been looking for a way to secure my 50" plasma TV after adding a young member to the family. The Philips plasma come with a questionable stand that the TV leans forward. This TV lock solved that issue, and now the TV no longer shakes. One check list item crossed for living in an earthquake-bound California.

I was concerned that there might be installation issues based on the reviews I read prior to purchasing this, but it worked just fine for our tv (I believe we have a 37LG60). Maybe they've redesigned the thing recently, or maybe ease of installation just comes down to what type/size tv you've got. It appears to work as intended, but we haven't had a major earthquake to seriously test it. It does prevent my nutty cat from wobbling the tv when he sees birds or squirrels onscreen, which is a nice relief. - Baby-proofing - Hdtv - Safety - Baby Proofing'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information