Thursday 22 September 2011

Blank Dvds - memorex, blank dvds


Over the last six months I've burned well over 400 DVD's. While I've also used Verbatim, Fuji and TDK, the majority were Memorex. I've had one bad spindle of Memorex DVD-9's in which most couldn't even be recognized by the drive, and in general, about 1 in 20 DVD5's don't verify. My experience doesn't prove that Memorex is the best brand, but any manufacture process can have a bad run, and I won't pass a brand up just because someone else bought one bad spindle. Memorex isn't perfect, but I haven't seen a brand yet I'd give 5 stars, and they're at least as good as anything else I've tried.



A few observations - the combination of PC, drive and media can make a big difference. Some of the OEM drives that come with bargain PC's are just junk, and even good drives can be finicky. I use mostly Sony DRU 810A's, which are currently less than $60. This gives great results in a Gateway, but is less reliable for some reason in an eMachines - you get what you pay for. You're also far safer leaving the pc alone while it's burning DVD's - the faster the burn speed, the more true this is. I have yet to see an old-fashioned "buffer underrun" message, but the error rate is consistently higher if the machine is distracted while it's burning.



Just because the ads make DVD burning look simple and bullet proof, doesn't mean it is. Go slow - buy a few small batches of different brands, and *really* test them. Find out what brands your burner maker recommends, but don't take that as the last word. Sony does not like Memorex, but I just bought another 400, because only your own experience - and not somebody else's bad luck - is going to tell you what brand is best for you. Memorex DVD+R 16x 4.7GB 100 Pack Spindle

CAUTION: MAKE SURE YOUR COMPUTER CAN WORK WITH DVD+R MEDIA BEFORE BUYING THIS--SOME OLDER COMPUTERS MAY NOT RECOGNIZE THIS TYPE OF BLANK DVD MEDIA



Memorex makes a very reliable blank DVD+R that can handle up to 4.7 GB of data. Moreover, these blank DVD+Rs are capable of recording data at speeds up to 16x. The data I record onto these lasts for years, proving the test of time. I have used these as data discs, discs to record video and discs to record video. Great!



The DVD+R discs are compact and easy to store. While the discs are still blank, store them in the circular case on the spindle that they came in. After your burn data onto them, I would recommend storing them in slim jewel cases instead of paper sleeves. It's just better protection for your DVD+Rs that have data stored on them. Don't store these discs, burnt or blank, in rooms that become very hot; this causes damage to any brand of this type of disc and you could lose data over time.



There are two caveats that many other people note about any brand of this product: when you are burning the data onto the blank disc, don't be surprised if you see that the data is burning at a rate slower than 16x. This can happen if your burner doesn't have the capacity to burn faster, or it may be a quirk. I am not a professional so I cannot be certain of precisely what causes this phenomenon; but I assure you that the extra minute or two (tops) that you wait to get your DVD+R completed is worth the wait. In addition, DON'T write on these using Sharpie ink pens. The ink can seep through the top coating of the DVD+R disc and slowly but surely compromise your data--and you wouldn't want that, now would you? If you need to label the discs, label its' jewel case using a post-it note.



Overall, Memorex blank DVD+R discs store data reliably over the years and I believe that an extra minute to burn the data onto the blank disc is well worth it in the event that it doesn't actually burn at 16x.

Do NOT read the reviews and think that they are completely accurate or from people that know what they're doing... i have purchased 4 spindles of these Memorex 100packs 16x DVD+r's and have not had any problems- if you know what you're doing and use the right software, you'll be fine. batches of dvd's can occasionally be defective, but over the course of a few hundred dvd's i have not had any problems- these are a quality product and if those other reviewers wanted their money back, i'm sure memorex would give it to them no questions asked....

How this only has a single star is beyond me. I burn a lot of DVD's and Memorex is the only brand I use. Best quality, period. I've used other brands and for some reason the just don't come out right. Personal preference, but there is just certain things you stick with if they work right the first time.

I record dvd movies as a hobby and am always looking for better media, software etc.- I'd been using Ridata for some time w/ next to no coasters but figured I'd upgrade and go with memorex this time around. Big mistake. They skip, pixelate and freeze up. I have had to recopy at least 5 out of the last dozen or so movies I've done. Were it a compatibility issue I could understand, but it appears to be strictly a problem with the quality of the media. I'm going back to using my cheap disks!

The lesson here is: " If it works, dont fix it!" - Media - Blank Dvds - Memorex - Blank Dvd'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information