Monday 19 September 2011

Computer Hardware


Those of you who have read my G5 review might be surprised that I bought an MX518 instead of a G5. I'm pretty high on the G5, and rather sad about breaking it, but I was curious about the MX518, if for no other reason than it is the standard by which the G5 is so often compared.



I've been using the new mouse for about a week and it's hard to distinguish performance-wise from a G5. But there are some differences worth mentioning.



What I Miss About the G5 -



Separate X and Y axis sensitivity settings - this feature was only available in SetPoint's Game Mode but did give me some flexibility in opening up the horizontal sensitivity for close-in sweeping without sacrificing vertical precision.



Adjustable weights - My G5 as described in my review weighs 140g; the MX518 weighs 105g. The weight module on the G5 makes the entire difference. I've noticed the difference, but have adjusted without too much trouble.



Sensitivity Indicator - Occasionally I'd lose track of the mouse sensitivity and had to look at the G5's LED indicator, which in some cases was easier than wiggling the mouse.



What I Like Better About the MX518 -



Two thumb buttons which I've set for raising and lowering sensitivity a la user.xml customization similar to what I did on my G5. Their location is still a bit high.



BTW, the SetPoint software will detect the MX518 and append user.xml with default settings for the MX518. This is cool as it allows one to switch back (or use in parallel) to a G5 without losing any customization.



Toss-Ups -



The size and shape of the MX518 and G5 are identical, however my G5 had a slightly rougher texture both on its' topside and its' gripping surfaces. The MX518 is more slippery in both areas, so those who tend to rely on palm friction for grip might prefer a G5. I tend to use my thumb and pinky to hold the mouse, so it's not as noticeable.



Conclusion -



The G5 was the best mouse I ever owned, but the MX518 is an acceptable and more cost-effective replacement.



Public Service Announcement - How to "Deep Hack" your MX518 --



The SetPoint utility keeps its' configuration info in a file called user.xml (I forget the path, but it's stored in the Documents and Settings directory on XP). Editing the file itself is not difficult - because it's XML, any text editor will do. It's WHEN one edits that's important. SetPoint guards against accidental changes or deletions by rebuilding the user.xml file when it exits. So you have to do the following:



1) Close SetPoint, either from the system tray or going into the task manager.

2) Copy user.xml to user.xml.orig or whatever suffix you use to save an archival copy.

3) Edit user.xml, by copying and pasting the tags for the normal "increase sensitivity" button to button 4. For the MX518, I also copy and paste the normal "decrease sensitivity" button tags to button 5. If like me you want to use it for games that you've set up for SetPoint's "game mode", you'll also have to change the section in user.xml dealing with game mode. Otherwise, the change will fail as soon as you run the game.

4) Delete last_user.xml.

5) Open SetPoint. In my case, I logged out of XP then logged back in to reload SetPoint.



The end result is that outside of game mode, both the standard increase / decrease sensitivity buttons and the thumb buttons can change the mouse sensitivity. In game mode, only the thumb buttons can change the mouse sensitivity. This is because game mode has a different XML syntax than default mode. Conceivably this technique can be used to arbitrarily reprogram all of the buttons. Make sure you backup user.xml before charging in! Logitech MX 518 High Performance Optical Gaming Mouse (Metal)

I like this mouse a lot. With the right mouse pad (a Microthin Wow!Pad from Office Depot), this mouse glides beautifully, never seen one better. The main buttons are easy to push (only Microsoft does this right also). The forward and back side buttons are a little small but work fine. The scroll wheel is not as nice as the MS Intellimouse 4 as it still clicks and is harder to roll. Never used the tilt wheel on the MS mouse. It is gaming where this mouse shines. The mouse tracks no matter how fast I move the mouse. The mouse never sleeps so it always responds perfectly. Frankly, I have not yet found any use that I needed to change the mouse resolution (i.e. speed) but in trials that is easy to do.

Feel is good, middle to small sized so fits most of my family. Cord is thin and a little stiff so it does not always lay completely flat (I have not found on that did). Very lightweight. Contoured nicely to fit the cupped hand.

Worked with Win XP as soon as I plugged it in, drivers and program loaded with no hassle.

Nice job, Logitech!

I bought this mouse in April of 2005 and I haven't had a problem with it. Perfectly tracks on all surfaces I have tested (though I'm sure highly reflective ones might cause a bit of problem). Honestly, I haven't found the DPI switching to be a feature I use very often, but it doesn't hurt.



Buttons have a very nice tactile feel. Especially useful are the two buttons on the left side of the mouse which default to paging forward and back in your webpages. After spending any significant time with this mouse, it's hard to surf the web with any other mouse; you'll constantly be pressing the nonexistant side buttons in an effort to navigate. The forward and back action also works when browsing through files and folders, which is also very helpful.



Finally, ergonomics on this mouse are absolutely incredible, at least if you are right handed.



Do not hesitate to buy this mouse



Update 2/28/09:



I am still using this mouse 3 years after buying it. The buttons started sticking slightly but it still works fine. I'll be very sad when it eventually died'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information