Monday 26 September 2011

Desktop Speakers - computer speakers, laptop speaker


This is a solid-feeling, compact speaker that's easy to tuck away in a laptop case. The sound quality is very good, given its size, and function isn't harmed by form. The one caveat that isn't specifically addressed in the description is that this is a powered unit: you can run it from an iPad, for example (with the included cable), but power must be provided via the USB cable--either to an adjacent computer or laptop or via an USB outlet plug. A small, internal rechargeable battery would be nice for when you don't want to tether a bunch of cords, but for the price and quality, that's a minor complaint. (Silver Color) SimplyVibe SV-S550 Premium Portable Speakers w/ DSP Bass for iPod, iTouch, iPhone, Android Devices, MP3 Players, Laptops (Mac/ PC) and Portable Devices (Plug & Play USB powered)

I was tired of cords and wall warts when out doing presentations to small groups. After seeing a similar but more expensive unit that only connected via 3.5 mm plug and was powered by battery, I did a bit of research and found this more economical and more convenient unit. The single USB cable provides both power and sound connectivity. I plugged it into my Vista Business laptop and it just worked. The sound is good and the volume is equal to what I was getting from a set of computer speakers with a huge decrease in complexity. I am already carrying a short USB cable. Just what I was looking for, at a very good price.

These speakers sound really good! It's not a Bose sound system or anything close...but it sounds so much better than listening with just the phone speakers. This makes my phone much more useful around the house because I don't have to use my earbuds all the time. Very portable, comes with a carrying pouch. Worth the price!

I love this speaker system. It packs a lot of sound in a very small package, sounds very good, and has an impressive finish. I purchased it for my mother (who is not very tech savvy) and she has no problem using it. I have set up the speakers with an Apple Airport Express, and power them via an old USB phone charger rather than the supplied mini usb cable in order to leave her airport express' USB port available for her printer. This allows her to pipe music into her bedroom without having to purchase a stereo system or receiver which would be much more expensive, while still getting good sound.



One feature I discovered which is not advertised is that one can connect it to a pc or mac via the USB with out needing to connect the auto cable. On a pc, just plug it in and Windows 7 will find the appropriate drivers. On a mac, go to: System Preferences => Sound => Output and select "USB Sound Device", and you will be good to go.



I would pick a different speaker (SimplyVibe SV-S350PLUS), which I also own and have reviewed, for an IPad because it comes with a rechargable battery, since the IPad does not have a USB port to power these speakers.



Overall I'm very pleased with these speakers.

I bought this to use with my iPad and I love it. The sound quality is good, it can sit in front of the iPad without obstructing the screen, and it is very light and portable. I agree than an independent power source would be very nice, since I normally use the iPad away from my computer and the speakers on the iPad aren't nearly as good as this speaker. However, for the price, I give it high marks. I had no trouble with the audio connector as someone else reported - seems like that might have been a defective part.

Great little unit. The sound is pretty good ... but I would've loved more bass. More 'presence' ... but I guess this part of the limitation of size and design.



My problem with this unit comes in when you run your iPad or iPhone at full volume, and pull down the volume on the SimplyVibe ... then you run the risk of some kind of clipping happening to the sound; and it distorts the sound in an ugly way. It is predictable and repeatable.



The way around this of course, is to pull the volume down on the iPad / iPhone, and then ride the volume level on the SimplyVibe itself.



Strangely enough, full volume on the iPad / iPhone + full volume on the SimplyVibe doesn't distort. (It's just loud.) But now pull the volume down on the SimplyVibe and the sound is unlistenable.



Other than this quirk (which pulls down my rating for this item), it's a sweet little unit.

Nice unit. Bought to use with my iPad. Found that the plug that fits into the iPad was to small. Would not make connection and would come close to falling out of iPad. Returned to Amazon and they promply refunded my money. Took my iPad to an Apple Store and they checked the plug with other apple plugs and all worked good. I would say SimplyVibe has a problem. - Speakers - Computer Speakers - Laptop Speaker - Portable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information