Sunday 11 September 2011

Drafting - mechanical pencil, mechanical pencils


I have been using this mech Pencil through its many incarnations. Each time it changed owners I was tasked with finding it yet again. When I purchase this pencil it is in groups of 5 to 10 units. I am a professional Engineer and have relied on the mech Pencil possibly for over 15 years. I have yet to find its equal in all aspects.

The only drawback to this pencil is that if you drop it (by accident) point down on a hard floor, most likely it will be damaged beyond repair/use. Thats one reason why I purchase more than a few at a time. ALVIN Draft Matic Mechanical Pencil Size 0.7mm

I purchased this pencil because of the great reviews. I like mechanical pencils because they don't have to be constantly sharpened to look nice on the page. However, I have gone through a lot of them. I decided it would be worth the money to invest in one that would last!



This is a WONderful pencil! It writes beautifully, is comfortable to use and I don't spend 1/2 my writing time advancing lead (due to breakage). I have to order 3 more in order to be able to keep my own. My husband wants one, my college freshman needs a good pencil for his math course and my 8th grader is constantly borrowing mine for pre-algebra. We all agree that we've never used a mechanical pencil as good as this one! It's worth the investment - you'll not be sorry!

These pencils are a joy to work with. Each size: .35, .50., .70, .90 is color-coded on the barrel. Each barrel is a single color: yellow, black, blue, and red. The barrels are rubberized over (probably) brass for a great solid feel. There is absolutely no slack movement to the pencil at all. It feels like one piece when you are writing with it. The pleasingly different barrel colors make it easy to identify each lead size whilst working. A normal 2mm white vinyl eraser is hidden behind the end cap. The eraser is Staedler-Mars-quality, i.e., the best in class, albeit small. The grip is a finely finished knurl that is easy to hold and won't torch soft fingers. It's more finely crafted than Chinese or Taiwanese-made pencils by a longshot. Mine were made in Germany, as indicated on the chrome-colored clip.



The advance mechanism works smoothly for all sizes and the lead tube seems very solid. Cleaning the broken leads from the pencil is pretty easy using the cleaning rod included (inserted) on the eraser under the end cap. I use 2B leads in all my pencils and the mechanism in the D-O-M held them in place with no sagging and no breakage due to the tube. The lead advance was uniform throughout the range -- which is rare for pencils in this price range.



I should emphasize that Miller Blueprint in Austin, Texas used to sell these for $6.95 each until they were discontinued in 2009 (I can't comment on when or if Miller will carry them again): This is the best pencil you can buy for that price anymore. The Koh-I-Noor rapidograph mechanical pencils have transferred from made in Germany to Made In China within the last 10 years and the quality has dropped to "do not buy -- use a Papermate instead." The Koh-I-Noors were the only pencil that even comes close for the price.



I highly recommend the Alvin Draft-O-Matics if you can find the German variety. The price is unbelievably good for such awesome quality (as witnessed by the $22+ pricetag on Amazon and E-Bay recently.)



The Alvin Draft-O-Matics are easy to use due to their color-coded barrels, knurl pattern, rubberized texture, consistent advance, and top-notch erasers.



There are other, better pencils out there but you'd have to pay $100 more for the same quality in a more exclusive, stylish package.



The only reason these pencils get 4 instead of 5 stars is because the silver screen printing ink on the rubber barrels is about ½ way worn off after less than 4 years of use. It would be awesome if it was laser-etched or relief-stamped.

I use this pencil all the time. It's ultra durable, and it's good for all manner of usage. Specifically, I have found that it's especially useful for drawing and doodling. The metal tip even prevents the lead from breaking off while writing--a plus if you've ever used regular mechanical pencils. At under ten dollars, it's a great bargain as well.



In short, I really love this pencil. =)

After losing my last office junk drawer pencil, I ordered this one.



Best. Pencil. Ever.



Remember how you always click to advance the lead of your pencil before you use it, because the lead is always broken off from the last use, dangling in the cylinder and waiting to fall out when pencil hits paper? I keep habitually doing that with this pencil, and then having to retract the lead since it wasn't already broken like all my other mechanical pencils! Tried the fancy Cross gold-plate pen/pencil sets, and countless plastic disposables touted as refillable. This is the best.



Pencil-twirlers: get a few wood pencils to twirl. It may not look as special as some golden pencil-prop, but as you come to respect the awesomeness of this tool, fear of dropped-twirl-induced breakage will produce twirl-withdrawl symptoms in some users. Does it break when dropped? The world may never know.

I have only used it for a week, but I'm very pleased with the mechanical pencil! Nice grip. It feels quite sturdy, I have a feeling this will be a mechanical pencil that will serve me for many years to come. I'm glad I spent a bit more for a high-quality product. - Pencil - Mechanical Pencil - Mechanical Pencils'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information