Wednesday 28 September 2011

Duel Fuel Lantern


This is a handy stove to have for power outages or car camping. You'll find the #21 mantles nearly everywhere. A bonus is the dual-fuel capability, although if you're smart you'll use Coleman fuel unless you are forced into a situation where you have to use regular unleaded gasoline (don't use premium gas!). You can switch this lantern over to a 'regular' naphtha lantern by using an alternative generator if desired. This dual-fuel unit is a good match for the Coleman dual-fuel Sportster 533 - between the two you'll not only be covered for lighting and cooking, but also color-coordinated (if you're a lumberjack and you're OK)!



:-) Coleman Premium Dual-Fuel Lantern

I Purchased this gasoline / white-gas fueled lantern last month. This item uses gas from YOUR vehicle's tank (Get a $3 hose and squeeze pump from hardware stores). I always have gasoline in my truck when I go camping, but get frustrated of storing and looking for white-gas.



The Lantern puts out the same power and sound as a propane-powered Lantern. It uses the same mantles, too. And, NO! There is no gas smell...

My parents had an old Coleman 'Pump' lantern. As I remember it had only a single mantle and didn't give off a very brilliant light, and being a youngster I always considered it a REAL PAIN to pump up the pressure...and that was usually my assigned duty. I did it, though, but when I got older and had my own family I bought a propane lantern...the Coleman NorthStar. It was great, but now that I am really, really old I hate carting around those expensive metal propane bottles that are ALWAYS in the way.



I don't know why, but I was attracted to this Coleman double mantle, dual fuel model lantern. Quickly adding up the cost of gas these days and comparing that against the cost of the 16.4 oz propane bottles, I decided that pumping wasn't all that difficult after all, and I seem to have a lot more time to do that than I used to have as a kid. In my area unleaded regular gasoline is about one tenth the cost of an equivalent amount of bottled propane. Please don't yell at me and call me cheap...I'm just more conservative now (hate to give up a penny I don't have to).



The lantern works perfectly, the light is very bright and can be adjusted down to gently subtle. One tankful of gasoline lasts about two long evenings, and the pump even gives me a little exercise. Get one...you'll enjoy it, and throw away the propane guzzler. (I also mothballed my propane two-burner stove and went for the Coleman two-burner, dual fuel stove; WITH A PUMP...!!!

This is a sturdy little lantern that produces a lot of light.Produces 861 lumens on high.It use 2 coleman mantle #21(easily available).Uses coleman fuel or gasoline.needs about 20-25 pump strokes at the beginning and runs for a long time.Does not need frequent pumping in between.Heating up the generator prior to lighting up the mantle prevents the flaring of the lantern at startup.The lamp gets quite hot so caution is advised.A reflector(not included) can be used with the lantern to direct the light where you want to and inhibits the light shining into your eyes.makes a slight hissing noise but not a big deal.An economical alternative to propane and expensive battery consuming led lanterns.Simple yet effective.

I am so glad I saved the $30 bucks and went with this lantern over the more expensive, 1000 lumen version. I almost think the 1000 lumens would be overkill now! Works exactly as it should, casts great light, and the dual fuel means we can use the Coleman fuel with it which lasts so much longer than propane lanterns which saves us money.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information