Thursday 22 September 2011

Dvd Player - slim external dvd rw, cd


Just got this puppy and am very happy with it. It's so small but does so much. I plugged it into an older PC and it "plugged and played" right of the bat (I run WindowsXP Pro). Also it is very fast, faster than the CD-RW in my Sony Viao. With the right CD burning software I used it to burn a folder of 50 MP3s onto a CD-RW disk and it was very quick! Even though my older PC has USB 1.0 it was still fast.



My only negative is that it comes with two USB cords, one for data and one for power. I only have four USB ports so I have to do some wire switching to use it, then switch back.



I really appreciate a product that works right out of the box! USB 2.0 Slim External DVD ROM CD-RW Combo Drive Writer

* Driver installation not needed. I have a GateWay running Windows XP and a Dell on Vista, both of which recognized this burner instantly.



* Power supply not necessary, but do keep in mind that you must use 2 USB cables for this device to work properly. One cable is dedicated for power, the other cable for data. So in a way, it's not truly "plug and play". More like plug-plug-play. :)

This DVD drive arrived in a thin piece of cardboard (similar to what books are delivered in). NO box. NO padding or protection whatsoever.

It was in a plastic ziplock bag. Also, don't expect a "brand new" drive. What I received is clearly a generic used or refurbished DVD drive. The outside casing is gouged and scratched and looks YEARS old. The parts inside the tray looked scratched and used as well. Unless my order was an anomaly, this company is apparently trying to pass off used or refurbed gear as new. If that bothers you....stay away from this. I'm sending this scratched up thing back.

I used this drive once, and it worked fine. After that, power goes to the device like it's supposed to, and the drive will open and close, but nothing happens. The computer recognizes that there's a drive plugged in, but it spins for a few moments, stops, and makes the noise like it's been unplugged. And since I was an idiot and threw out the packaging after making sure it worked initially, I'm out of luck and can't send it back. I wouldn't recommend this item at all. I feel like I wasted the money on it.

Product did not install on new ASUS laptop. Running 64 bit W7, windows did not see the device. This item is not sold as an OEM-type product, but there was no documentation or support available. All text files on included CD were in an Asian font. After several hours gave up trying to find drivers or install.

Fab USB Item for notebooks it was easy too. Plug and play yup go on get one I think you will be happy and it was a great price. It's just the thing needed for installs on notebooks and computers without DVD rom drives. Yes I would buy another but make sure you get a case for it because it's shell is a bit flimsy. Cool Fab Gear!!! Thanks and all the best.

If you have Windows 7 do not buy this..This much like many other games, programs, hardware and such does not work..It half a@@ed played a dvd..The installation cd did not work inside the player at all just kept giving me an error... finally got it to install quake four then played a bit and closed the game then black screen appeared and when I restarted Windows it had chosen to ignore this player due to errors.. Can not seem to find the drivers for this giant waste of money anywhere because there is no manufacturer name anywhere on anything that came in the package..



DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!!!

I have a macbook 1 with Leopard OS and works great. You don't even need to install any drivers, just plug it in and go! You need to use 2 USB ports at the same time however, one for power and one for regular use.

The DVD drive did not plug n' play instantly, so I went to read the instructions and found that half were written in chinese. The english ones were readable enough, but since written by someone from another country they were not completely clear. The MAIN REASON I could not get the DVD to work right away was because the vendor DID NOT include the second plug. One USB plug is for the power, and then there is another slot for actually connecting it to the computer. I dug out an old one that I had and THEN it worked. It didn't even need the DVD drivers and recognized it instantly.



MAKE SURE the vendor selling you this drive includes both plugs. I have to thank the reviewers here for pointing this out. If you are someone who is not interested in troubleshooting, you may wish to just pay a bit more and purchase an external DVD drive directly from whichever company you purchase your computer from. Then you will know the drive is compatible and you will also have the company's tech support to help yo. - Cd - External Drive - Dvd Burner - Slim External Dvd Rw'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information