Monday 5 September 2011

Electric Razor - norelco, philips


I owned a Norelco Rotary Shaver for about 8 years. It was working fine until the rechargeable battery would no longer hold a charge. I would have replaced it myself - but I don't know how to solder, so I broke down and ordered the Braun Series 3 340 foil shaver. I had done a little research and most of the "experts" all suggested that foil shavers shave closer than rotary shavers. Obviously, razor blades have the "closest" shave, but I wanted the convenience of an electric shaver. I do not have a thick beard - anything but. I only shave once every 3-4 days so I end up w/ long whiskers in spots vs. 5 o'clock shadow that some people get after an hour :)



Anyway, the Braun Series 3 is a beautifully constructed shaver - but it didn't work very well. It took many passes to cut my facial hair...and then I had to work it from different angles to successfully shave off the hair at different parts of my face. Yes, it finally shaved - but it seemed to take so much longer. In the end, I just wasn't impressed at all - so I returned it for a refund.



After a week or so, I purchased the Norelco 8240XL rotary shaver. It is not as nice looking as the Braun - and certainly doesn't feel as well constructed - but it shaved me beautifully the first time around. The trimmer works so-so, but I didn't really buy it for the trimmer. The 8240XL cleans easily. The only thing wrong with the 8240XL package is the travel case. The travel case only holds the shaver - and does not allow for the brush and charging cord. How cheap is that? Norelco really should include a larger case to accommodate the cord.



I give the 8240 XL 5 stars as a shaver....and 1 star for the case. 4 overall only because the shaver outweighs the case. I'd recommend this product. Philips Norelco Speed 8240 Men's Shaving System

The Norelco 8240 offers the best value/comfort/performance for the money I've found. Lower models in the Norelco line lack some very effective features (floating heads, multiple inset rotary heads, etc.), while higher models are much more expensive with no benefit to performance (some do a poorer job of shaving, including the ARC series).



Although the best foil shavers generally shave closer, the Norelco 8240 cuts nearly as close (not quite, but the difference is virtually unnoticeable). The rotary heads, however, are MUCH more comfortable and not nearly as prone to razorburn as foil shavers. The floating heads on this model are excellent (not as stiff and MORE effective than the $130 ARC series), conforming well to my face, even at my sharp chin and gentle adam's apple.



Here is what makes it really superb compared to any other shaver I've tried in my 18 years of shaving:



- The $80 price (at Walmart, December 2009), on the low end of the price range that consistently offers the best value/performance ratio ($70 - $110).



- The motor is wonderfully quiet... it purs in a low, comforting tone, without the high whine of most other rotary and foil razors I've tried (the ARC series is much louder, as are Braun foil shavers). When I first used it, I though the battery must be low on charge, but I finally realized that it really is just that quiet all the time.



- The shaving performance is excellent: It offers the 2nd closest shave I've had from an electric shaver (The Braun foil shaver I've used for the last 6 years shaves negligibly closer), yet gives almost zero razorburn to my sensitive/dry skin (the Braun gave mild to moderate razorburn daily). Better yet, the Norelco shaves close WITHOUT need to pull my skin tight with a second hand as I shave. That is the main reason I switched back to rotary... Foil shavers only give a close shave by constantly pulling the facial skin tight with another hand while shaving.



- The ergonomics are very comfortable: It fits perfectly in my hand and feels very light. My Braun foil shaver always felt like holding a large cell phone... no ergonomics to speak of, which occasionally led to dropping it.



I'm convinced that negative reviews of this razor are either by folks with very strange face shapes or, more likely, folks who don't understand that a razor MUST BE BROKEN IN for about two weeks before it offers an optimum shave. On the first shave, the Norelco 8240 is unimpressive, but by the fifth or sixth morning (assuming you use it exclusively), it will adjust to your face and give you a remarkably good shave. The quality continues to improve slightly until about the end of the second week. Stick with it, and you'll be glad. - Electric - Norelco - Shaving - Philips'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information