Sunday 18 September 2011

Ez Lock Tools - rotary tool accessories, woodworking


Simply put: This mandrel permits very quick changing of attachments (typically cutting disks). One note of caution: cutting disks are easy to change, but when changing them, be careful of the temperature of both disks and the mandrel itself! Dremel EZ402 EZ Lock Mandrel

This shaft allows you to cut at a slight angle with your wheel blades. I had to cut angles in over 25 floor tiles. I used the EZ545 diamond wheel and cut the tiles in water. After like 15 cuts I reallized the cutting slowed way down and my Dremel motor was getting hot. Just like a universal joint this shaft has moving parts. When I moved the collar up and down I noticed that my EZ Lock shaft was squeaking. Therefore I greased it with high temp brake grease and followed it with some WD40. My cut times for my tiles were immediately faster with no resistance. WD40 alone would probably do fine.

This is dremels new quick change mandrel for their rotary bits. I have one and it works great, you can change cutters in 3 seconds, the problem is there are too few options to accomodate this new mandrel. There are plenty of old style 1/8" shank bits/cutters/burs ect.. but none are interchangable with this one. They have diamond cutters, carbide cutters and aluminum oxide cut-off disks for this mandrel but thats about all. I see no way to manufacture heads for say a router bit or grinding bur. Just my opinion.

I ordered the Dremel EZ544 1-1/2-Inch EZ Lock Wood Cutting Wheel and needed one of these locks to make it work. Best $2.99 I've spent in a long time.



No instructions but easy to figure out and does the job.

I've used the EZ Lock mandrel twice now with a diamond blade that I bought. I've cut through ceramic tile and also a metal bracket. The EZ lock system makes it convenient to switch attachments without using another tool to do it.



I have one observation that's not really a problem but maybe room for improvement: The madrel does keep your blade from coming off the end of the post, but the spring-loaded mechanism doesn't completely prevent the blade from pushing down toward the motor when you're in the process of cutting. In other words, there is some play between the post and the blade. It takes a little getting used to, but you can still use the tool with precision.

This is the coolest tool ever, I wish I had found it sooner. I hope to one day find the inventors of this magnificent EZ Lock and thank them personally. I can honestly say that this makes my life better. Thanks EZ Lock! - Rotary Tool Accessories - Mandrel - Bits - Woodworking'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information