Saturday 24 September 2011

Fine Motor Skills


My two year old loves this! My kiddo is dexterous like you wouldn't believe, and has a passion for opening and closing doors as well as removing covers and lids (electrical socket safety plugs, the backs of remotes, change purses, bottle tops, baby wipes) and opening clasps (wallet, watches, bracelets). If your child is the type who's always looking for new and exciting ways to raise your blood pressure with feats of exquisite motor control, this latchboard is a great way to redirect that energy and curiousity.



I remember reading some horrified parent exclaim that perhaps teaching young kids to open latches and locks is a dangerous idea, but realistically speaking - the latches featured here probably aren't used in a safety capacity anyway. (Unless you hide your dynamite behind a miniature chain locked door. And you might want to rethink that.)



The thing is also virtually indestructable. I can say this with confidence because it was "tested" by the brats next door, and those boys could destroy a padded cell. The colors and pictures are bright and appealing, too; it's remarkably well made.



My only beef is the cost of Melissa and Doug products, but since it's hand made I can understand why it's necessary. Keep up the fine work, guys. Melissa & Doug Deluxe Latches Board

This toy is definitely a winner. Our 21 month old son loves it and will play for it often. He especially loves the door with the 6 goldfish.



My only complaint is that I feel that the 1st 2 doors were VERY hard to open. I had to have my dad "perform surgery" on them and loosen them up. I'm not even sure how he did it but they're nice and easy to move now. I can't imagine even a 4 or 5 year old being able to move those 2 the way they were. Maybe I just got a really tough one? The other 4 doors were great from Day 1 though.



You can do a lot of mini games with this toy - like have your child count the animals for you, tell you the colors of the houses, etc.



Another hit from Melissa & Doug!!!

We got this toy for our son when he turned one recently. Several weeks later, he still plays with it (or "works" on it!) every day, unlike just about any other present he got. We leave it propped up where he can crawl over and play with it on his own. He has gradually been figuring out some of the ways to open some of the doors, but there is still a lot to figure out. If your child loves to play with mechanical devices and take things apart as much as ours does, then s/he will love this latches board.

So my son is only 2 and he definitely likes to work the latches and open the doors. He can do some of them, but not others.

I've been looking at this toy a lot since my son always needs my help when he plays with it.



I think there are some quality issues with this "latches board". As others have mentioned, the latches can be hard to work (even for me). The second latch in particular (blue one with #2 on front)is very very tight. It's too tight for a child to use. But they understand how it's SUPPOSED to work, so it ends up being frustrating for them instead of fun or educational.



The design is not great. The latches and doors all open and get caught on each other really easily. If the latch from #1 is flipped down, it blocks the door from opening or closing below it. The chain link on #5 gets caught in the latch for #6.



The actual design for most of the locks (just like the real ones they mimic) is for them to be vertical, not flat on the ground. The pictures of the doors and windows also implies that they should be "up" as normal doors and windows are. The weight and balance of this toy does not allow one to sit it up or prop it up very easily. Maybe this latches board could come with a stand or prop for the back in the future?



If you are considering this toy, I might suggest a M&D puzzle instead. They do them very well, much better than this.

The Latches Board is a great toy. Like all Melissa & Doug products I've seen, it's durable, fun, and excellent for little-tyke brains. I try to find toys to help my 15-month-old daughter with problem solving and coordination, and though she's not strong enough to work a couple of the latches on this toy, the others work well for someone her age.

My brother is 27 with severe autism. He is non verbal with the mind of a two year old and needless to say it is hard to find toys for him. With the strength of a grown man none of his toys last very long. I bought this toy for his Christmas and he loves it. It stays by his side all day. He loves playing with the doors and enjoys opening and closing them. The toy is very durable and provides a good challenge for him. I would recommend this to anyone with an autistic child as well as small children.

I purchased this product for my daughter who is blind, it is excellent for helping her to learn not only about all types of latches, but also cause and effect.



My 4 year old that is sighted enjoys it as much if not more than my other daughter.



I definitely recommend this toy for it's educational value, excellent durability, and the fun the children have with it.

Based on the excellent reviews for this puzzle I bought it for my grandson, a 19 month old and another one for my 2 yr old granddaughter. Neither of them are interested in it. It's quite a heavy puzzle and the 19 mo. old uses it more like a Frisbee. Not fun!To undo all the latches to open a little door and see a picture of an animal just doesn't seem motivating enough. Stick with the age limitations on this puzzle.

Some of the doors have a tiny little crescent cut out to put a little finger in it to manipulate the door open. Neither can open the doors without help. One latch is way too tight to be opened by anyone more than at least 4 yrs old. I'm sure when they're 3 yrs old most of the latches and doors will be do-able for them.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information