Monday 26 September 2011

Highly Recommended - upright bikes, stationary indoor bike


I did a lot of online research before purchasing this bike. I was looking for a bike that was built well, quiet, decent electronics, and good value. This Schwinn 140 is exactly what I was looking for. Shipping was very quick for this item. Amazon told me it shipped on a Friday, and it arrived at my house the following Tuesday.



Unpacking the box was relatively easy. It looked like a lot of parts at first, but there weren't that many steps required to put this bike together. I was able to assemble this bike in about an hour, by myself. The instructions were clear, although installing the handle bars was a little tricky.



Once the bike was assembled I spent about 15 minutes making adjustments for my riding height and style. This bike has many adjustments, so take your time getting it right. I'll probably make more adjustments after my first full week of workouts.



I really like the electronics. The display looks high-end. It's bright, easy to read, the colors are nice. I had one issue when I first powered up the bike, after 2 minutes I got an "E3" error. But after resetting the display, it was fine, and I haven't seen it since. Hopefully that's not a portent of things to come. But so far so good.



I'm 6', and weigh 240 pounds (that's why I bought an exercise bike). This bike feels very sturdy for my size and weight. No loose parts, or creaking noises. At least not yet.



I will be posting pictures to Amazon shortly. Schwinn 140 Upright Exercise Bike

After doing much research on upright excercise bikes, I selected the Schwinn 140. I ordered the unit from Amazon on Sunday and received it on Wednesday. The box is good sized and quite heavy so I waited for the weekend to move to the basement and assemble. The assembly process took about 1.5 hours. The instructions were simple (tools included) all parts went together very well. I had a little challenge installing the handlebars (due to computer cable), but after a couple of tries, everything fell into place an sligned properly. The computer unit has a number of pre-programmed profiles, but I created my own, and this was a very easy and simple process. The instruction manual could be better, but most operation is intuitive anyway, so not that important. The bike is very quiet and smooth, allowing the user to change profiles on the fly. The unit is also allows for easy adjustment for just about every aspect of the bike, allowing different users a proper fit. Overall, very pleased with value received and of prompt delivery by Amazon.

Had it almost two weeks. Goes together in about an hour and fits in an incredibly small space. Seems very well constructed, no loose parts. Takes awhile to adjust everything as everything is adjustable. Seat is very comfortable, I purchased a different seat when I ordered the bike, but decided to use the seat that came with it. Makes absolutely no noise at all when you're riding it. Shifting between levels is smooth and quiet, and the pedaling is very smooth and consistent all the way around. Heartbeat monitor on the handles work great, but trying to get my Polar band to talk to it has been a challenge as there is no documentation on how it connects. Seems like if you start riding first, then activate the band, it works, but still trying to figure this out. The interface on the computer takes some getting used to. The documentation for the computer could be a little better, but overall, I am extremely happy with this bike. Great value for the money!

Delivery was quick. Set up was easy, took less than an hour. Bike is well made and sturdy. I usually manually control the resistance so cannot comment on preprogrammed readout.

Bike functions well, easy to adjust.

For my body type, long torso, shorter legs, the biomechanics of this bike could be better.

With seat properly adjusted, still have some lean on the arms and i find with rides longer than 20 minutes that i get some numbness in the hands.

As for the seat, this is fine and is reasonably comfortable for shorter rides.

Since i usually do intervals on indoor exercise equipment for 20-30 minutes, the above limitations are easily dealt with.

Overall an affordable addition to the home gym.

Like many others, I researched this bike for about 2 weeks before deciding to purchase it. I read everything I could find about Schwinn bikes period. The model before this (the 130) is what I was going to purchase at WalMart, it was cheaper but I would have to pay for tax & shipping (free shipping and no tax on Amazon.com) so it was only going to save me about $30 at WalMart (for the older model) so I am definitely glad I decided to buy the 140 at Amazon.com.

The previous model (130) was highly rated/recommended on the Consumer Report websites and that made me realize that a newer model would/should be even better. I live in a small apartment and although I wanted the recumbent one, I had to go with the upright. Not to mention, I figured I could work on my posture while riding upright. (ha ha) This bike is just what I need to get in shape. I have a leg injury and I am overweight and out of shape. I needed a piece of equipment that I could commit to and not feel like I was doing a dreaded chore. I can hop on this bike and watch tv, listen to music, talk with people around me, or just look out of my window.



At first I felt like the price was expensive compared to the other models, but it's true, you get what you pay for. As I mentioned, I am overweight and I needed something that would last while I pursued my fitness goals. The other brands are not built as well as the Schwinn models. Simply look at the frame work and tubing and you can tell.

After I put it together (without any problems whatsosever) I realized that it was of good quality and worth the money I spent. The setup was easy. I am a female with manicured nails and I didn't even chip my polish putting this bike together. I also didn't require any help. It was really easy. I had my laptop on my sofa with the manual enlarged (I went to the Schwinn website and downloaded it) so that I could see the images clearly, but I mainly used the paper manual that the bike came with.



I read the instructions for the setup of the user profile and everything went just fine.

~I read some reviews about little issues with customizing, but if you just take your time and read the manual, you will really see its not difficult. When you set up a custom workout, you have to realize that it goes through 30 levels so it appears as though nothing is happening, but be patient as you customize it and you will see that it is working right.~

~Also the Heart Rate monitor, if you simply plug it in on the side, it should work just fine. You just have to look for the spot to plug it in to.~

I have only used the bike 4 times so I can't give you any long term use information, other than the programs are nice, the resistance is great, and it has a lot of features on the console once you set up your user profile, but I can say that this is a very good investment for anyone considering purchasing a quality exercise bike. It is a good piece of equipment. If you have to save up a little to get the bike, start saving! If you are considering a different brand, forget about it! If you think that its hard to put together, get over the thought! If you are worried about it not being right for you, try it and you will like it!



I have a lot of weight to lose and I don't like going to the gym. I walk around my neighborhood which is ok, but now I can get a good little cardio workout. I am so glad that I got this bike. I am helping myself in the long run. This is the best way to spend over $300 and have something well worth it!



No missing/broken pieces, no damaged stabilizers, no damaged or flimsy box. I ordered and received in exactly 7 days. ***I'm NOT discrediting anyone's reviews about problems they had with their purchase, I am just stating that my purchase was problem free***



~I will add another review/or update in the future about how the bike is performing~ I hope this helps motivate someone! - Schwinn - Upright Bikes - Highly Recommended - Stationary Indoor Bike'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information