Sunday 4 September 2011

Home Schooling


ThinkFun Math Dice helped my grand daughters, ages 8 & 10, improve their math test scores so much within 1 week that the eldest's teacher called to see what we were doing to help her! Flash cards and drills were so boring, the girls acted as though they were being tortured. They really enjoy this game I love the fact that it will grow with them. Right now, they can add, subtract, and multiply so this is all we use, but we will add other math skills as they are acquired, keeping the game fresh and challenging for years to come! Excellent investment! Think Fun Math Dice

I've played this game with my little brother, who hates math by the way, but actually enjoys this game. I don't know if it will ever turn his opinion of math around, but it is definitely improving his skills. Of course anyone who already enjoys math will get a kick out of this game too.

This game caught my attention as I walked through the game section of the local office supply store; I had come in for copy paper, markers, folders, pencils, and a whole bunch of other things. Then, this popped into my head: "Hey, this would be great for anyone of any age."



You can do all four processes: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You can even just make a chart of the frequency of the dice throw results. So, if you use the blue dice with white spots, make a spreadsheet of the numbers on the faces of the dice, one through six, and keep a couple columns for other notes. As you grow in math skills, you will see the law of probabilities show itself to you.



With each throw of the blue dice, you can list the number of dice for each number that shows. If you like, you can total all three dice, and record the result in the last box.



With the white 12-sided dice, you can multiply, divide, add, or subtract. You can create a spreadsheet and show as many combinations of equations as are possible. You can also mark off one of the columns with a symbol for addition, multiplication, subtraction, or division. The possibilities are limitless.



The best feature is that all of these 5 dice, two white and three blue, will fit in the cute little pouch that comes with the item. If you have some kind of tray on which to throw the dice, like a shoebox lid, you could sit in the back seat of the family car, and play the game.



Unless I find someone to give this to, I will take it with me on an airplane flight and give my brain a challenge. Go for it.....It really, really is fun!

I bought this for my 9 year old son, who was falling behind in math since moving to a new school. At first, he was reluctant to try it because it was educational and, therefore, no fun, especially since he wasn't "good" at math anyway! Now, he asks us to play, takes it out on his own, and has shown his friends how to play. He's even learned about powers and is trying them out during our games. My husband is now showing our 5 year old how to play (with some adjustments), and she loves it too. This is a great game that's inexpensive, easy to learn, quite addictive, as challenging as you want it to be, and fun for everyone if you have the imagination to adjust the rules a little. It's a perfect stocking stuffer for those (including grown-ups) who enjoy doing math puzzles, and is absolutely essential for every kid who thinks math is dumb, hard, or boring!

most people think this game looks nerdy and boring.then they try it. it is really fun.you roll dice to get three numbers and use them in any way(addition,subtraction,exponents,etc)to get as close as you can to a certain number.it is fun and very educational.

The directions are okay, but I feel they could of been a tad more illustrated. I love the bag it comes with and the dice are clear and great dice. Decent price for odd dice, but may want to be a little lower. Great game, for one, but would be more fun if I had friends into math...on the whole,I highly recommmend this game for homeschoolers/unschoolers and even school kids. This game is a good fearless approach to equation set up recollection. There are so many ways to add/subtract/divide numbers to get an equation answer that no one really ever remembers them all. So, give a gift that will help reinforce the concept of equation setup and maybe it'll lead to reduced math anxiety. I love math, but I'm horrid at it. I found that learning it from textbooks (soley) is not the route to take for me. I love that there are more games, and computer programs out there other than just textbooks. Not that there's anything wrong with a textbook, but easy hands on access does something worth while to the brain. Use manipulatives to teach/learn/have fun with not just the book. Especially in this digital age.

The idea is excellent - simple and powerful. Played with my son and we both loved it. Will take it with us when traveling. One can add rules and introduce more and more math into it (powers and factorials are just two ideas we used). All in all - very good and should help to develop math skills for the 2-5 graders.

I bought this product because my daughter is learning multiplication and division in school. This is a fun and addictive skill game that has her use all of the skills she has learned in math. Not bad for the adults to brush up on math too.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information