Wednesday 14 September 2011

Inexpensive - digital, weighing scale


I really wanted to like this scale as it was cheap and looked good. Out of the box I liked the sleek design, but that is where it ended. Weights seem highly inaccurate, and worst of all fluctuate all over. Today weights were within a 10 lb range, but since I got this over a week ago they have been in a 20 lb range. I thought I was doing something wrong, even looking up some online info on how to use these properly (the instructions that came with it were pretty lacking). But no, I was using it on a hard surface (hard wood floor) and not moving it. I'll be returning it to Amazon if they let me. Major disappointment.

My wife recently purchased this scale. The scale itself is probably a three star product. Pretty cheap and lightweight. Not really sure it will stand up for the long term.



What was alarming was that the company is offering Amazon gift certificates to put up a review. I open the manual to look for the warranty information and there it is detailing how to put up a review and offering a $10 gift card to do so. I was shocked. I put a lot of stock in the reviews on a product and when I see a company blatantly paying for them its pretty alarming.



Buyer beware. I know my wife reported this to Amazon but I will be doing so as well. This is a three star product at best when the company isnt bribing people.

I bought this for my elderly diabetic father who needed to track his weight for health reasons. What originally sold me on this scale was the supposedly extra large LCD display however once I saw the scale, I was utterly disappointed. The screen is nowhere near the claimed extra large, and even I had a hard time seeing my weight, let alone my elderly father who has a hard time seeing already. On top of that, I can't really vouch for the sturdiness of this scale. the weighing platform does not feel as stable as i'd have hoped. Plain and simple, they shouldn't even be advertising "Extra Large LCD" on this scale because its exactly what it lacks!

I have owned a few digital scales over the years, and this one is pretty darn inaccurate. I ran a series of tests on it, mostly with dumbbells I had in my home ranging from 10-25 pounds. The tests fell into two categories.



1) Weighing the dumbbells themselves. The 10 lbs dumbbell weighed in at 10.6 pounds. The 20 lb dumbbell came in at 20.2 and the 25lb came in at 25.8. So while they were all in a bit heavier they were within a tolerable range.

2) Weighing myself with the dumbbells. This is where the results got alarming. After calibrating the scale and weighing myself, I then picked up each of hte dumbbells in succession. The 10 lbs dumbbell only added six pounds to my weight! The 20 and 25 pound dumbbells were also consistently low. I even tried putting them on the platform rather than holding them but it was still really wrong.



My conclusion is that cheap scales use cheap components. Ill be going back to Taylor, which frankly I never should have left. Returned item.

I guess I was expecting a lot out of this scale, but the scale seems to be a lot less accurate than I had hoped for. It was about 1.5 lbs off the scale at the gym, which wasn't a real big deal. I figure I would just add 1.5 pounds and that would be my weight. But then I started running some tests, picking up items and placing them down. Often times the items wouldn't register a weight change at all, showing the same weight as if I hadn't picked anything up. If I calibrated the scale per the instructions, a lot of times the weights would show up to be pretty different, with deviations as high as six pounds.



I have owned a few of these digital scales over the years and this one is just about the same mediocre quality as the others. I dont care how much a scale costs...you should be able to get on and off and get the same weight at the very least. If there is no accuracy then what are you paying for. My husband can guess my weight for free.

This scale is light but sturdy. It seems accurate, though I don't have a second scale with which to make a comparison. I wish I could say it reads more than I weigh, but I doubt that's true!



I like the fact that it does not require the annoying tap-and-wait-for-zero preparation action: just stand on it and wait for the final reading to flash three times. The numbers are large and easy-to-read.



Regarding some of the other reviewers complaints about the company "bribing" people for a review: there is nothing in their offer that requires a positive review. All they are doing is offering to compensate their customers for their time to make a review. This is no different than Dunkin Donuts or D'Angelo's offering coupons for filling out a survey online. Without this offer, I probably wouldn't have bothered to write this review. But I stand by my assessment.



I have not had the scale for very long so I cannot assess its durability over time. But so far I am very happy with this purchase and would recommend this product to others. - Digital - Accurate - Affordable - Weighing Scale'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information