Tuesday 6 September 2011

Interior Design - decorating, domino


More often that not decorating books are just eye candy; after read them once you are satisfied but done. This is NOT the case with domino's first book. The domino team has managed to create a book that you will keep reading it again and again. It is simply brilliant!



Even though I have kept every issue of domino and go through them regularly, the book's format allows for a deeper approach to domino's mission. They have really worked hard to make the book into a usable tool. With more than just pretty pictures and stories, this book provides a framework for how to think about putting together a room (and yes their is new content).



I am only disappointed in two ways: 1, I wish the book referenced the issue each in which each room originally appeared and/or provided information about the products in each room. Perhaps there was not enough space, but access to information is one of my favorite parts of domino's monthly. 2, They also overlooked closets as room. And lets face it they have featured some stunning closets over the past few years.



Buy this book, you will NOT regret it!!! Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy

Unlike the previous reviewer, I adore my new Domino book. First of all, the compact size is perfect for throwing in your bag when you decide to hit the shops and boutiques. You can pull it out and it lays flat easily; the sections are divided into easy to read and easy to access room-by-room descriptions that make referencing easy. Each section starts with layout, then design, then accessories and tips and in true Domino fashion, the tone is casual, friendly and accessible. There's nothing snotty or stuck up about Domino, which is one reason I love it. Second, I'm glad they used material from past issues. I certainly don't have the room to save all my magazines! For those unacquainted with the Domino magazine ethos - green, friendly, idiosyncratic and affordable design for all - this is a great intro to the monthly features and to home design itself. I think the thing i love most is the subtitle: "a room by room guide to creating a home that makes you happy" which, in these volatile, dangerous, lean economic and political times, is especially meaningful.

Domino Magazine came on the scene in 2005 just three short years ago. It melded fashion and decor and immediately energized the shelter magazine market, appealing to 20 to 40 year olds, and finding an even wider Baby Boom audience. Its hip and refreshing "how to" attitude to creating your own pretty decor soundly resonated.

Even the professional designers presented had a homey approach using revamped flea market finds, big box store items, and their own personal products.

It provided a "power to the people" approach. Everyone can shop at a flea market, Target, CB2, or eBay, etc. The message is: Everyone has access to a happy looking and pretty home.

Domino The Book Of Decorating is written by the magazine's editors, and it continues the grass roots philosophy of the magazine, using their own homes and thought processes and sources as examples.

The book is written is a fun and breezy manner, and it reminds me of another book: Decorating Is Fun! by Dorothy Draper. This 1939 (!) classic has recently been reissued, and it's enduring advice is timeless and current. I think DTBOD has the same appeal and chance to become a classic of it's time (and possibly a candidate for a nostalgic re-issue 50 years from now).

The book is published without a dust jacket, a compact volume, very beefy and satisfying in the hand. It reminds me of a text book, and indeed it could be considered as such for anyone who loves decor, whether you are the home decorator, layman, or professional.

So do buy this enjoyable book, and get happy being your own decorator!

If you are lucky enough to be able to hire a professional (and please do!), this book will help you understand the nuts and bolts of decorating, and allow you be a proactive participant in this fun and exciting process.

My husband and I were tired of living like grad students, so I bought this book. I never read the magazine and knew NOTHING about decorating. Somehow, after flipping through it a few times, I felt confident to attack the apartment. One month later, we now live like adults, and I love coming home to our organized home with real furniture. I found the book so accessible and sensible in terms of costs (no telling me to drop a couple grand on an armchair or whatever... unless I want to) and effort (no one suggesting I retile my own floor).



I can't speak for people who already know what they're doing in terms of interior design, but for a novice like me, this book has been worth every penny.

If you are a twenty-something, single, career woman in New York City -- or just wish you were -- this will be a valuable decorating book for you. If not, the direction of the book will be less than satisfying. Recommended only for those who are familiar with the magazine and crave more. - Decorating - Domino - Decor - Home Decorating'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information