Tuesday 6 September 2011

Denholm Elliott - period movie, greta scacchi


Compared to other Colin Firth movies, this movie was very flat. I love period movies, and comparing to the likes of Jane Austin, this one pales in comparison. I had higher hopes for this film so was disappointed when I finished watching it.

The character of Camille was not well formed. She gave a sub-par performance. Firth seemed stilted and robotic at times.

The story line was a good one, and the potential for it being much more fleshed out would have made it much more endearing. So, it left me feeling like I wasted 100 minutes of my day.

So, chalk it up to one not so hot purchase.

I'll loan it to my daughter, with whom I LOVE to watch movies like this, but with a forwarning not to expect too much.

I would recommend saving the $$$ and watching Pride and Prejudice again! Camille

I tried to find information on this movie prior to purchasing the DVD but didn't find much. This is a 'made for TV movie' which means the budget wasn't that great and it shows. I purchased it for the great cast but even they could not elevate the quality of the production.

Beautiful love storey with Greta Scacchi and Colin Firth. They work beautifully together and the film is a delight to watch. Its a simple story yet tragic...



Great to see an very under valued Greta Scacchi work as she is a class actress.

I love to watch Colin Firth act so I bought this tape, twice.

The first purchase was labeled as used, but the quality was terrible. It looked like someone had taped it from the tv, stopping at commercials, and then made hundreds of copies. This tape being the hundred and first incarnation. So when it showed up in an auction as "New" I hoped for a better quality video. Nope. Poor quality just like the other. Whatever you do, don't pay much for it.

I have been a Colin Firth admirer ever since seeing "Pride & Prejudice" on Masterpiece Classics, whether in a drama or comedy. I've purchased many of his old - and new - CD's and DVD's and enjoyed them all He is one of those actors who can bring to life whichever character he is portraying. "Camile" is one of those earlier movies of his which I enjoyed. I thought the rest of the actors were well cast, also.

Having seen "The King's Speech" this year, I look forward to the Academy Awards and Colin Firth winnihg the Oscsr. It will be certainly well deserved! If he doesn't win, it will be a travesty in justice again. I felt he should have won for "The Single Man" last year.

Although I am a fan of Colin Firth, and it is interesting to see an early performance of his, this movie left me cold. The young Greta Sacchi was good. The scenery was good. The costumes, especially the men's hats, were cheesy and off-putting. The writing and direction and production are below average.

Instead of this DVD, I recommend the wonderful Franco Zeferilli version of the opera starring Placido Domingo and the lovely Teresa Stratas. Search on Amazon is: Verdi: La Traviata Teresa Stratas. The opera is fast moving and of course a classic. This is the same story as Camille.Verdi: La Traviata

This film was very disappointing. The great cast could not help the film which was quite flat in comparison to films like Pride and Prejudice. I love period films and am always looking for new period films to watch. This one was a great disappointment. I would have liked to have been warned about the nude scenes which were quite explicit. This is not what one expects from a traditional period film. The acting was not that great. I found the story line very sad as I expected, which I suppose is the moral of this type of story line.

I loved this movie. It's true that it doesn't quite reach the Jane Austen heights, but then in my book nothing does. This was not meant to be a happy, witty movie. It's a soulful, melancholy film that somehow reminds me of Haagen Dazs ice cream. Slow and rich, meant to be savored.

I purchased this movie because I will watch anything with Colin Firth starring in it. This did not disappoint me. I found the movie very touching. I gave it 5 stars because of Colin Firth and Greta Scacchi. - Greta Scacchi - Period Drama - Love Story - Period Movie'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information