Saturday 3 September 2011

Lcd Tv - lcd tv, hdtv


After comparison shopping for a LCD set to replace my current Sharp Aquos LC20D42U (also reviewed), I settled on this TV.



I'm not going to write a book - but the following are my initial impressions.



Given that my outgoing Sharp display had only 1 HDMI input, the LG's 2 inputs are acceptable for my needs (HD cable/DVR & PS3) but for others with more peripherals (stand alone Blu-Ray, DVD, multiple gaming consoles, etc), 2 HDMI inputs may not be enough. The set also has a component input (probably acceptable for use w/ a non-upscaling DVD player).



Unboxing the TV in my living room, I cranked all my lights to check for blemishes / defects. While the TV was in good condition, both the screen and the glossy black bezel had hand/finger prints in multiple locations. I'm not sure if this happened at the factory (made in Mexico) or if I got a unit that had been previously unboxed (manuals, remote, stand were all still in sealed plastic - so I'm guessing factory), but it was a little unsettling, even at this price point. It took me a few extra minutes to wet a cloth and clean the TV before setting it up.



The glossy black bezel is unremarkable - it doesn't look bad, but it does look (and feel) a little cheap. This is not a TV I would mount or place conspicuously - especially among high quality peripherals, audio equipment or as the anchor of an expensive entertainment center (of course it's doubtful that a 32" TV would typically form the center of an expensive piece of furniture like that).



After setting the TV up, I obviously turned it on. I was not immediately impressed. Like most new TV's, this one is pre-programmed to default to wild backlight / brightness / color settings (with the aim of display sets not washing out under bright store lights, I presume). After spending some time tuning the picture, I was able to achieve settings that were to my liking. The tuned picture is fairly impressive at this price point - solid processing, even backlighting, good black levels for a CCFL-backlit TV, and fairly accurate color although off-angle viewing could be better. Speaking of tuning, the menu / interface is very simple and very easy to use - both because of good menu design and also because there are not a whole lot of features on this set to be configured.



Which brings me to features - this is not among the next generation of LCD TV's; it has no LED backlight, it is not 120hz, it is not thinner than a strand of hair, it does not connect wirelessly or offer widgets or video streaming, and it is not 3D compatible (a feature I sincerely hope does not catch on for cinema or television - who wants to wear 3D glasses all evening?).



But if you don't want to spend a lot, don't need the TV to be a conversation piece while it is turned off, don't need to the TV to perform functions that your other devices would likely make redundant, and are looking primarily for decent quality picture and good value - then I'd recommend this TV to you.



Full specs can be found at the following location: [...] LG 32LD450 32-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV

I have had this TV for about 2 months and really am enjoying it. It has a great picture and color clarity. Works well with DVD, VHS, blu-ray/ PS3, wii, and a computer hooked up. I have all of this hooked up constantly and there were plenty of different types of ports to make it all work. The only negative is the menu system. For some things you have to go through 3 or 4 screens to get to the setting that you want. Not a huge deal, but it could be better.

This is my first flat panel TV, and I shopped around alot before I purchased this set. It came promptly, was very well packed for shipment, and came out of the box in pristine condition. I mounted it in the bedroom, on the Cheetah brand wall mount, and used the screws supplied with the set that would normally have been used for the table mount. They fit the wall mount holes as well, which made it nice. The only problem there is that the wall mount bracket blocks one of the HDMI jacks.



The set works fine, and the picture quality is excellent, especially on Blue Ray DVD's. I don't have my HD satellite service hooked up yet, but I am very happy with the set, and I'm sure that my satellite HD reception will be as nice as the Blue Ray DVD's.



All in all, a very positive ordering experience, and a very good TV.

Ordered the TV and it arrived quickly, great service from Amazon. Hooked it up to get over the air programming and to my PC via HDMI - exceptional, but not perfect, picture. Colors were good after calibrating, got 1:1 pixel mapping, and viewing angle on this was pretty good. Black levels were alright, not great but not bad enough to break the deal. But what bothered me the most was when I started watching movies and TV shows. I noticed blurring/motion lag with the picture with both HDMI and the built-in tuner. I've owned other HDTVs and this was the only TV I've noticed this on. The picture blew me away at first but after seeing the motion blur I knew down the road I wouldn't be happy with it. Sent it back because I'd rather do that than to sell it a year from now to "upgrade" my TV. BTW you can turn off the ON/OFF indicator light at the corner of the TV by going into the menu if you find it distracting.



Pros

+ Great Colors

+ Good Viewing Angles

+ Works great ac a PC monitor



Cons

- Terrible Motion Blur

- Mediocre Blacks



At the end of the day you get what you pay for. It's not a terrible TV but this motion blur problem doesn't exist on other 60hz LCDs. Sadly I wouldn't recommend this TV to a friend. - 1080p - Hdtv - 120hz - Lcd Tv'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information