Saturday 24 September 2011

Light Weight - alarm clock, travel clock


I bought this alarm clock today (April 7, 2007) at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $10. I wish I had seen the reviews first. I bought it because of the product name, small size and variety of options. Unfortunately, I realized it wasn't a great buy when I brought it home...and spent a few hours trying to keep the battery in a certain position so the clock would stay on. The connections appear to be very sensitive and the battery doesn't stay in place.

The clock light is pointless. It's supposed to help you see the time in the dark, but unless you have the clock at a certain angle everything will appear blurry. Actually, the screen is blurry in most positions even with the light off.

As for the alarm, it's pretty quiet. If you're a sound sleeper or live in a noisy environment, this is not the clock for you. You'll only hear the alarm if you sleep with it under your ear.

A final note on this product: The clock has been on for almost an hour without any problems...but only with the battery cover slightly open. If I close the cover all the way, the clock shuts off. If you want an alarm clock that will last awhile, I suggest buying something else. You get less than you pay for with this model. SharpTech SPC303 LCD Travel Alarm Clock with Folding Metal Case (Champagne)

I bought this clock at WalMart at the end of last year (2005). It was the cheapest travel clock with the features that I wanted. It has worked well as a daily alarm clock until about a month ago when the alarm stopped beeping. I have replaced the battery and the alarm still doesn't beep, but the display light flashes as normal. I got about 8 months out of this clock, so I guess that's not bad. But I wouldn't buy it again.

I bought this travel alarm at Target. It was shoddy from the outset, but for $10 I managed to use it despite the dim display and tinny alarm for one trip. Then I realized the battery only lasts a few weeks. I would have spent more on batteries than the clock itself in the first year. It also began to literally pull apart at the seams. I mailed the clock to Sharp's corporate headquarters in NJ with my complaint and received a letter back saying it wasn't one of their products even though it clearly says "Sharp" right on the front. So either they are lying and producing terrible products or they are not protecting their trademark and allowing other companies to manufacture shoddy products and market them with the Sharp name. Either way I could never buy a product with the Sharp name on it again.... how could I ever be sure if it would be backed up by Sharp or not.

I bought this clock at Target and I really like it. I use it as my everyday alarm clock so it's gone through more use than a travel alarm would, although I travel with it as well. The clock looks nice, folds very compactly.

Reading the other 2 bad reviews, I had to say how much I love this clock. I especially like the temperature feature. I've used this clock for months and the batteries are still going strong. I really appreciate the alarm time being displayed all the time. I don't have to wonder if I readjusted my wake up time for the next day as everyday I need to wake up at a different time.

I gave this clock 3 stars because the back light blew out this week. I don't see a way to replace it. I've searched for small alarm clocks that I like and haven't found anything better. So I'm going to give this clock another try. The price is low enough to justify giving it another go.

I really like the look of this alarm clock, hopefully it will hold up ok, it seems to be a bit mixed, looking at reviews. Apparently it is a SHARPtech product, not Sharp, made by M.Z. Berger and Company.



I have the warranty on hand - It is warranteed for 2 years after date of purchase against manufacturing defects. If you still have the reciept or photocopy, you can send them with the product to:



M.Z. Berger Service Center

33-00 Northern Boulevard

Long Island City, NY 11101-2224



but they require a check of $5.95 to cover S&H, which is hardly worth it for a $10 product. They note to include your return address. If mine breaks, perhaps I will purchase the award winning plastic one from LL Bean.



The model is SPC303 - or at least mine is.

So, I got this a week ago and somehow -- on using the Snooze function -- I put it into a "Silent Alarm" mode. No lie. I set the alarm on a test and waited. The display blinked. No sound. After spending far too long trying to get it out of silent mode (including removing the battery in order to rest it to factory default), I called Sharp for help. Two phone numbers later, they tell me "It's not a Sharp Product." Even with Sharp's name all over it, it's not a Sharp product therefore they don't support it. The support number they provided wasn't even a toll free support line.



Thanks for nothing, Sharp. - Travel Clock - Light Weight - Alarm Clock - Travel Alarm Clock'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information