Sunday 18 September 2011

Macbook Case - macbook air, apple


The mCover Hard Shell Cover Case for the new Macbook Air (released late in 2010) is one of the first hard shell covers made specifically for the new Air, and despite the company's reputation I had some trepidation about buying it before it was reviewed by experienced Mac product experts. But I have to say that it's everything I want in a cover/protector for the new Air: it fits snugly and goes on with virtually no effort. It snaps on in a way that makes it almost impossible to scratch the computer. It has retractable legs that allow you to position the computer at different angles. I bought the clear model, and it's pretty much invisible. I've had it for 10 days or so now and I can only find good things to say about it. Whew! Clear mCover® Hard Shell Cover Case For NEW 13.3-inch A1369 Apple MacBook Air (NOT compatible with original A1237 13" MacBook Air, fits MC503LL/A or MC504LL/A order numbers)

When I purchased my new MacBook Air at the Apple store, I asked specifically for a clear hard shell case for it because the aluminum body of the laptop scratches really easily. I was assured that the case I was buying (for $50!) was going to fit. Did it? OF COURSE NOT. It was for the prior model. So I had to make do with the case that didn't fit to protect the computer, while searching for a hard shell case that would actually fit.



This one is perfect. The clear model has a matte finish to the lid, and from the side it almost looks frosted, but you can see the decals and stickers I have on the lid just fine. It is ridiculously easy to put on and while I was afraid of cracking it while I snapped each corner into place, the case was way more durable than I gave it credit for. It is very, very lightweight, doesn't add much at all to the dimensions of the machine, and it isn't slick or slippery to carry, either. Plus, it has feet. Yup. Flippy feet. I didn't think I would use them, but they tilt the laptop to a very comfortable typing height.



Plus it was much cheaper than the one I purchased at the store. BOO. YAH. It fits exactly right - thank you to mCover for clearly labeling the correct model and compatibility in the title and description of the item so I knew I was getting the right case for my laptop.

I was researching for a protection accessory for my 13" MacBook Air to avoid scratches (...because it's so precious, right?) but at the same time don't look so bulky that it turns your thin Macbook Air into a 3" custom body armor.



I looked at the popular InvisibleShield by Zagg, checked their website, very impressed with it. But I found two reasons not using that awesome product: One, No matter how good the shield is in preventing SCRATCHES, it wouldn't prevent a lightest DENT to chassis caused by bumps when one had to rush for an emergency meeting while holding his boss's caramel macchiato on the run. Secondly, it's quite hard to install because you have to ensure the environmental setup to be really clean, lint free - unless if you live in a science lab.



Then I found this product under the "Similar Items" category. I read other owner's reviews, looked at the pictures, and purchased it (Color: Clear). So here are my comments (in bullet form for your convenience):



LIKE:

- Structurally strong: Plastic is constructed with hard and malleable property with a matte surface. 1.5mm plastic layer surrounds all four edges. Coverage excludes the ports for accessibility. Cover will protect most minor bumps.

- Tight Fit: Connection to body is by 11 short tabs that snaps to the inner edges. The hinges are very short, extending only 0.5 mm towards the body - meaning lesser leverage to the tabs - meaning grips well and tabs won't break easily. I actually had a real hard time removing it because a speck of pencil-dot-dust was left inside the cover while installing it - don't ask why, I just had to ...

- Visually pleasing: I stepped back a few meters away and the case just vanishes... Just kidding. It looks very thin, transparent and discreetly designed.

- Heat distribution - I initially suspected the laptop might get warmer being wrapped with an inducting material. However, it seems fine (over a normal computer usage - browsing web with Aerosmith song playing). I also worry about the wi-fi signal being damped, but it seems fine.



DISLIKE:

- Not precisely molded. For example, the 2 tabs at the back cover (at the fan area) obstructs the top cover when one swivels it open. As a result, a rubbing sound between the plastic hinge and the two tabs occurs. This is not a con really but more of a remark for improvement opportunity. So if only the tabs are a hairline thinner (about 0.3 mm), it would be fine.

- Weight affects monitor hinges. Because MacBook Air's thin hinges is weak to support the weight addition of the plastic cover on top of the top metal body. The screen "falls out" when you lift the main board up (about 45 degree elevation) - So just be careful if you want to preserve your hinge's friction.

- Visual Flaw (Subjective): There is a visible carved square marks on the five tabs in front cover which is inevitably a part of manufacturing process. Also, The word MBA13 (hardly visible though) is embossed on the top left corner on the top cover - Dislike!



Bonus Review:

- It comes with a free keyboard shield made of soft-rubber . Quite useful goodies but the thing is it also cupped the sound volume as MBR's sound actually flows out from the spacings between the keys. - Muffing and vibrations are produced above volume level 4.

- Shipping is godspeed. I like this guy, whoever runs the order. - Laptop Bags - Macbook Case - Apple - Macbook Air'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information