Sunday 4 September 2011

Manfrotto - manfrotto, camcorder accessories


For the price it's well worth it, but not for every camera. I have quite a few cameras and I first tried setting it up for my EX-F1. The camera is right at the upper edge of it's capacity and found it hard to get the right setting. I was a bit tired and didn't work at it for too long and thought I just screw in this Aiptek 1080P I had sitting in the drawer and Wow! It took just a few tries at the settings and I was gliding around like a pro around the house. I downloaded the video and was amazed (I never thought I can shoot scenes like that). This may be my favorite setup for a while but of course I still love my EX-F1.



I have tried the Merlin Steadicam but returned it after a week of frustration using it for my Sony A1U. Too complicated for a hobbiest like me. It only balanced correctly once (hours of trying and watching the video) and never again, even after writing down all the settings.



Some here said the gimbal was too loose, the screw should be loosened not tightened when in use. I feel the gimbal was as good or better than the Merlin's. As for the price, have you ever purchased video camera accessories? Some look like they were made in the back of someone's garage and charge as they were made and developed in a ISO-9000 manufacturing plant. Not with the Modosteady, they really went all out to develop a great little stabilizer for the consumer venue. Yes, it's not a glidecam or a Merlin that will handle more weight capacity, it's just a great little stabilizer for a small modern camera. This is something you can take anywhere without lugging around an extra suitcase of equipment.



This is the first time reviewing something I purchased on Amazon, but had to on this one since I wasn't expecting this surprise. Manfrotto 585 ModoSteady 3-in-1 Camera/Camcorder Stabilizer and Support System

The Manfrotto Steadycam is a strange beast. In terms of effectiveness, it is on the low end of moderately effective steadycams. But it also comes in at about an eighth of the price of the next model up, the 800 dollar Merlin. By that metric, it's pretty amazing.



The Manfrotto specifically is a handheld gimbal - based stabilizer. It works because you carefully balance the swing arm underneath with whatever camcorder you put on top, so that no matter how you move your hand the camera stays forward and up. Small wrist shakes and other movements are absorbed by the carefully balanced gimbal, keeping your camera steady.



This is not an easy thing to do. It will take about 1/2 hour of configuration your first time to get the counterweights and positions right. Furthermore, shooting with a handheld steadycam is a somewhat different experience, considering you no longer have direct up / down control and left / right drifts with the gimbal. It takes quite a bit of practice to be comfortable shoot with a steadycam, and this one is no exception.



However, the Manfrotto does get high marks for convienience and accessability. Setup is genuinely easy to do (though a level indicator would have been nice), and can happen within about 60 seconds if you know what you're doing. The unit folds up to be about the size of a small camcorder. The plastic, while still plastic, doesn't feel cheap. And the tripod functionality has actually been occasionally useful. The weighting is not heavy enough for cameras above 5 lbs or so, but that is beyond pretty much all consumer-grade cameras.



If you've found that watching your home movies makes you nauseous, and you're interested in spending the time to learn to handle it, the ModoSteady is a good choice. It works pretty well, and you really can't beat the price.

An excellent product for the price. It doesn't match a $3000 hollywood camera "steadycam" set up, but it sure comes close. For my independent filmmaking I will be using it consistantly. Anyone will love it.

I have been wanting a steadicam but didn't want to spend what most cost. I stumbled onto this one and thought for the price it's worth the risk. I have only used it a couple of times, but it works well. I've never had the opportunity to use a Merlin, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it works well if I take the time to balance it. It will take practice to use. I also like that it can be used as a shoulder/chest brace. Worth the money.

I purchased this for the Nikon D90 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) but discovered that the camera is just to heavy to balance on the modosteady. Even after removing the lens, I had still had to pull the battery to get it to stabilize. At that point, the balance was extremely easy to achieve, and I can see where you could get close to Merlin effects in many types of scenes. However, you won't get the same steadicam effect when running or bouncing around since it doesn't have the dual weighting system the Merlin has.



Note: you can place your thumb right below the gimbal to control pan and tilt. - Manfrotto - Video - Camcorder Accessories - Film Making'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information