Sunday 25 September 2011

Portable - digital tv, lcd tv


Ordered from Target, arrived yeaterday. The good: Plugged in, set it up and it was easy to set up. Has radio feature, comes in very handy. Also has all sorts of nice ways you can use the tv as a monitor. Has an ATSC and a QAM tuner, meaning you can get the free unscrambled cable channels. They all came in nicely. It worked great last night, both in tv and radio mode.

The bad AND the ugly: This morning I turned it on and it just kept turning on and off, I could not stop it or get it to pull in any channels, no matter what I tried. Called the manufacturer, 'it is a software problem'. They would fix it but they charge $15 for shipping, even if the product is under warranty. I called Target and they discontinued it, so no exchange possible. Will have to return it.

Final assessment: very disappointing, I bought it for the features, did not expect it to be so poorly made.

Update on 03/25/2010: I bought another one of these two months ago from [...] and this one works very well, great picture and the added radio feature is very handy so I'm going to upgrade the rating to a 5. Sounds very good when hooked up to my sound system but you get both system sounds, the sound in the tv speaker does not turn off when you hook up a sound system. Just tried hooking up my cowon 7 mp3 player to the usb and have no problems playing video, audio and photo files,that is really nice! Also tried the sd card from my digital camera and again, works great.Lets me zoom in, do a slide ahow, I'm really pleased with all these functions in a little portable tv! I really like that it has an av in port AND an av out port, something you don't find so much any longer but is very useful. I hooked up my old analog dvd recorder to this tv and can record the atsc channels from this tv through the av out/in. What I don't like: 1)The remote is very flimsy and the buttons stick sometimes. 2) Be aware, the av cable with 1/8" plug that comes with the unit looks like any other av cable plug but it actually seems to be proprietary. I tried several others that I had at home and they do not work with this unit. Called company and they charge $10 for a new av cable, including S/H. So, don't lose the av cable that comes with the unit. 3) Don't like that the company charges $15 for S/H if the unit needs repair, EVEN if the unit is under warranty, S/H should be free in that case. Other than that, this is a well designed unit that has a lot of features. iView iVIEW-700PTV Portable 7-Inch Digital LCD TV, Black

Scenario:

I bought the iView 700PTV not to watch TV, but in place of a portable DVD player for my 3 year old to play movie files.

Portable DVD players are such a hassle to carry and change DVD's. I can put 10 movies in 8GB SD card with the iView.



Pros:

-Comes with all accessories: car charger, wall charger, carry bag, etc (Viore 7" TV does not, you have to buy those)

-Plays about 60% to 70% of movie files downloaded from torrent (legal torrents :)

-Very good resolution for a 7" player.

-Battery lasts for about 2 hours.

-Plays avi and Xvid files.

-Even though I did not buy to watch TV, I get about 20 channels here in dallas.

-Has lasted a week so far with a 3 year old and therefore looks pretty solidly built.

-Very acceptable sound quality quality

-Great for the price when most 4 inch personal media players start around $150.



Cons:

-My main complain is the SD card is not designed to go all the way in. Half the SD card sticks out. The rest of the SD card is at the mercy of my three year old's hands.

-I haven't had luck with the two DivX movies I tried. But more testing is needed before scratching off DivX. But anyway more movies are Xvid nowadays, which this little guy plays.

-Not a con, but it says right on the first page of the manual that TV channels will not work when device is in motion (leave alone while driving, even the slightest motion disturbs it's functionality as a TV)



Bottom line:

BUY IT!!! I love this thing. This goes in my GOOD BUYS bin.

I ran this TV through all the features and you sure get your money's worth. Including a very nice carrying case and both a AC and car charger. Picture is nice and sharp and there is plenty of sound volume coming from the two built in front speakers. My only real complaint is it will not play MP4 video files which are the most popular. It will play AVI fine with a nice and smooth picture. There are cheaper small TV's out there but they won't compare to this model.

The iView looks like a very nice product but sadly, we never got to see how it worked. We were not able to pick up a single channel despite trying from MANY locations including standing on top of things outside. This was a pretty disappointing Christmas gift and it's been returned. Unless you are in an area with strong digital signal, I wouldn't recommend it.

Received unit today and went through the set up. The set up menu is identical to the Sharper Image TV. This unit will not hold date and time settings after going through setting them up four times. The remote on/off only turns the screen off, not sound and screen. To turn off sound and screen you have to use the power switch on the unit itself. The remote is flimsy, but for this price that's OK. The stand is OK, not good.



On the plus side, the small antenna did a good job of pulling in the available stations.



Overall, I would look for another unit. - Portable Digital Lcd Tv - Digital Tv - Portable - Lcd Tv'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information