Sunday 25 September 2011

Laboratory Notebooks - notebook, quadrille


I'm a genetics research assistant at a large university, so taking thorough notes is a daily requirement. I came across this notebook when reading a previous tech's protocols, and had to get one for myself. Here are what I consider to be the pros and cons.



Pros:

*Presentation - this notebook is nicely put together, which is an important if subtle aesthetic quality in approaching research.

*Orderliness - The grid layout of each page is great! Also, while I haven't really used them, the detachable carbon-etch pages would make for a great instant copy if you prefer keeping your notes in book and binder simultaneously.

*Size - Again, a crucial factor in taking clear and concise notes - even taping down printouts of various results - not a problem with this notebook.



Cons:

*One-sided Pages - {Not so much a flaw as a personal preference.} The pages have only one gridded side. While this is fine if you write in Sharpie, or never take notes on both sides to begin with, I've found it has me burning through this NB a little too quickly.

*Somewhat Inflexible Spine - Unless you crack the spine/binding of this NB, you'll eventually find your previous notes pushing back as you progress through.



Summary:

In all, this is a great notebook, and one of the finest I've purchased. In retrospect, I would have searched around more for my own needs, as I have essentially no use for the carbon-screen, detachable yellow sheet function that is so core to this notebook's design. I have since purchased another, much finer (and cheaper!) notebook from the Scientific Notebook Company ([...]) which has been fantastic. Explore their site if you're looking for the perfect fit!



Hope this helps. TOPS Laboratory Research Notebook, 9.25 x 11 Inches, Carbon, 100 Numbered Sets, 100 Sheets, White and Canary (35125) - Notebooks - Science - Notebook - Quadrille'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information