Friday 2 September 2011

Resistance Band - exercise bands, resistance bands


I started with the red bands and now use the blue for some exercises. I hava a frozen shoulder and had to find an alternative way to exercise since freeweights put too much of a load on my shoulder. I have gained more movement and the workout is better than PT. You can progress pretty quickly to the next color band for some exercises (bicep, chest and back). I will still use the bands even when I am able to return to using freeweights. SPRI ES502R Xertube Resistance Band with Door Attachment and Exercise Charts (Blue, Heavy)

I love the bands, never thought I would because I've always preferred free weights, however these work your muscles in a different way BUT you can REALLY feel it. I do love them and sometimes prefer to do them with DVDs that don't even call for them.



I only gave them four stars instead of five because I wish they would have made at least one more size heavier. I am a female, but on days when I'm feeling good and use them for chest presses; it would be nice to have another size up to go to.



Love them, try them...the price is even more attractive and they are quality. Much, much better than the little rubber bands that come with and/or is shown on some DVDs.

First, let's address some of the common questions about resistance bands and comparable weights:



The manufacturer states that this blue band has a resistance equivalent to 15 pounds when stretched to 1.5 times it's length. The elastic part measures appx. 48" long, so when you stretch it 72" long, you're at 15 pounds of resistance. Stretching more than 1.5" the length will equate to a heavier weight.



I'm 6'4", so standing on one end of the band and raising the other end over my head will stretch the band to about 96", well beyond the 72"=15lbs point. Of course, if you're exercising you're going to be stretching this over a range, so as I stretch the band, the resistance will vary from ~0 lbs at 48" to 15lbs at 72" and well above 15lbs at 96". For someone that is 5'4" raising the band over their head may only reach 80", a bit above the 72"=15lbs point. For that person, the resitance will vary from ~0 lbs to just over 15lbs at the full stretch.



You can also increase the resistance by simply standing closer to the working end of the band. If I were to stand in the middle of the band, leaving just 24" of elastic, then I'd reach 15lbs by stretching it to just 36". This comes into play when doing other exercises, such as bicep curls.



As with all resistance bands, the equivalent weight varies as you stretch the band. It is different than free weights where the weight is constant. But resistance bands also allow you to vary the resistance by changing where you step on the band.





Now, about this particular band:

I like this band. Although I am tall and stretch it to nearly double its normal length, I have not noticed any wearing or breaking of the elastic. The included door attachment is useful, but be sure to carefully follow the instructions (unless you just want to visit your dentist for some new teeth).



Depending on your height and fitness level, you may find this band to be too heavy or too light, so I'd suggest trying out a couple of different resistance bands. If that's not an option, you can do some rough math to come up with estimates for how much you'd be stretching this. For example, if you measure 60" from your shoulder to the floor, standing on the middle of this band would be more than 15lbs of resistance on a typical bicep curl (stretching from 24" to ~60").

I travel A LOT for work and it sometimes throws me off my workout and fitness routine. Got some of these at the last minute at at airport gift shop and was amazed at the things I could do with them. I have tried a few things over the last couple of years, as my travel schedule has increased, and these resistance bands are some of my most used and most effective equipment. You can do literally dozens of exercises, for both upper and lower body, they're cheap, and they're easy to take with you.



If you're somebody like me who travels a lot, these are perfect.

This band snapped in half the first time I used it. I was doing a normal workout when it just gave way. Both pieces then flew back and hit me right in the chest and gave me a welt like I'd never seen before. I wouldn't recommend these to anyone.

This item is well made. The tube is beefy and the handles are sturdy. The included exercise booklets are lame. They have dated black and white photos showing disinterested people doing lack luster exercises.

For a heavy band this is too weak for P90X. I use the ultra heavy and its ok. My friend bought medium and heavy at a local Modelle's and they were much thicker and more rugged. They arent terrible, but there are better out there. Would not recommend these.

I purchased one blue (heavy) Xertube and one purple (xtra heavy), with the hope that it may increase muscle size. It does tone the muscle but imo it wont increase the size of your muscles. I've since switched to doing calisthenics with and without an exercise ball (check out Adam Ford's Swiss Ball DVDs) and this seems to do the trick for me. Also, I don't believe that you can get a complete workout with the tubes. It may be possible but, I didn't see how (some of the stances on the chart look good on the chart but seemed pretty useless to me, plus the door attachment, though efficient, constantly worried me (I've been smacked in the face with another brand tube before...not fun). If you can get past all that, go for it because they're not bad for certain exercises. - Resistance Bands - Exercise Bands - Fitness - Exercise'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information